Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Boston hack almost takes blame for forgotten chi
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 15:23
Mama2One

BOSTON – A family picked up by a taxi at the airport left a sleeping 5-year-old child behind in the back of the minivan — and the cabbie almost took the blame for it.

Joseph Cohen, a taxi driver for 39 years, picked up the family at Logan International Airport on Sunday, drove them to their home in the city's Mattapan neighborhood, and helped them unload their luggage.

"They paid me, thank you very much, everything was nice, and I left," he said.

Minutes later, Cohen got a call from the cab pool at the airport. State police, who have jurisdiction over Logan, were looking for him.

He was told the family left a child in his cab.

"I said, 'What?' So I looked in the back and I see the baby sleeping. I said, 'What should I do?' So you know, I take the baby (back) to the family," he said. "The father came out. He was very happy."

He even gave him a $50 tip.

The following day, Cohen was ordered to report to the Hackney unit, where police told him his license was being suspended for three days because he didn't do a thorough check of the van. He appealed the suspension and was allowed to keep his license pending a hearing. On Tuesday, he visited the police station with an attorney and learned he would only get a warning.

"We are very happy that the baby was safely returned to mom and dad," said Elaine Driscoll, a police spokeswoman. "That said, it was an important opportunity to remind cab drivers why we have a rule that dictates they must check the back of their cab after every fare."

Cohen said the girl had been in the back of the van behind another seat and he could not see her from his rearview mirror or from the outside of the vehicle.

The cabbies' union expressed outrage at the proposed suspension, saying the fault should lie with the child's family, not the driver.

Police would not release the names of the parents but said they were not being investigated.

"I think the sad piece here is that the police are not recognizing the responsibility of the adults and are now saying this driver also has to be responsible for passengers who forget their children," said Donna Blythe-Shaw, a staff representative for the United Steelworkers Boston Taxi Drivers Association.

link
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 19:24
Chris
How the fuck do you forget your CHILD?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 01:08
panda bear.
That's a very good question.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 18:15
kein mitleid
Haven't you ever seen "Home Alone?"
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 19:01
NonSumQualisEram
It sure does belong to the parents. These parents should have KNOWN better to make sure their daughter was with them. Brian and I never do anything with out making sure Kaidance is holding our hands, or by our sides.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 19:01
NonSumQualisEram
This is Queenbutterfly by the way. Logged on to my brothers account. :)
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 19:17
Let It Be
I'd blame the parents over the cab driver without a doubt. Not checking the backseats for forgotten items is one thing, but not realizing you left your sleeping child in a cab is another all together. Talk about irresponsibility and lack of observational skills.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jul 2009, 20:46
Beautiful Lies
How the hell do you 'forget' your child in a cab? Another example of people who should not have been allowed to procreate.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 03:55
Makayla
Leaving your purse..ok?? Leaving your 5 yr old child??? What's wrong with you?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 14:46
& skull.
yeah no way in shit is the cab driver's fault. you don't just forget your damn kid.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 15:29
Acid Fairy
Ooh it's like Home Alone, without the comedy! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 19:59
CouldBeYou-Again
the parents are the ones who should be getting charged. For neglect! The cabbie could have been anyone and done anything to that poor baby! The world is so screwed up!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jul 2009, 21:19
Madeline Rain
Hello, this is a five year old. Why do they keep calling it "the baby"?

And yes. The parents should have been charged with neglect. There is no reason to forget your child in someone else's car.

This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends