Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Books
Page:  1  2 
Must read book.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 03:38
jessicaツ
What book do you think is a must read & why? It doesn't have to be something serious, or life changing. I like sillyness, too.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 04:15
Aiure
The Last Centurion by John Ringo. It deals with a fictional scenario in which H5N1 (avian flu) wiped out a good portion of humanity, and how people coped (which was not well, really). It makes you think. And I actually learned a lot about how the world works.

Actually, There Will Be Dragons (also by Ringo) has much the same effect. Advanced technology is immediately and unexpectedly unavailable to the general public, and people are now faced with learning 'archaic' techniques involved with everyday life.

Both books can be a little tedious with explanations and whatnot, but they're extremely good reads. Well worth it. I suppose it helps I was already a fan of Ringo's books before those two were even written, though. :P
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 07:31
lithium layouts.
Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. In fact, anything by that author. It's philosophy mixed with narrative and you'll never find something quite like it.
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2009, 19:50
The Ryan
I've only read Sophie's World by her. I'll have to check this one out too! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2009, 19:57
Estella
JOSTEIN GAARDER IS A HIM, NOT A HER, YO! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2009, 20:00
The Ryan
Hahahaa! I thought that as soon as I'd wrote it: "Gosh, I'm not sure if Gaarder is a man or a woman! Must be a woman!" I am showing my ignorance today! Man/woman is not a confusion it is healthy to have!
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2009, 20:03
Estella
OH, I DUNNO ABOUT THAT - I FIND IT QUITE FUN WHEN BLOOPERS THINK I'M A MAN, YO! IT'S A CONFUSION I RELISH! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2009, 20:04
The Ryan
I find it quite awkward when they think I'm a woman!
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2009, 20:05
Estella
GOSH, YOU ARE FAR TOO MACHO, RYAN, YO! BE FREE AND EMBRACE YOUR INNER FEMALE SIDE - WITHOUT IT YOU WOULDN'T LOVE DISNEY SO MUCH! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 12:15
Acid Fairy
1984. A) because it's so damn good!
B) It makes you think about things in a certain way.

I can't really describe it. It's just great. As is Animal Farm.

I also think The Beach by Alex Garland is pretty much essential reading. Kind of a bit of a Lord of the Flies (which I HATE) for the grown-ups.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 19:20
Lady Elphaba
Aha!! We studied 1984 at school. I loved it!! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2009, 01:05
jessicaツ
I found where you can 1984 online. I think I'm going to have to start on that.
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2009, 21:20
wugs
George Orwell has to be one of my favorite authors. I actually just finished a research paper on his use of linguistics in 1984 to convey feelings and control thoughts. It was interesting to me, but I feel sorry for my poor English teacher that has to read it. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2009, 01:36
mixie
"A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin. The individual books (in order) already published are: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows. I'm on the fourth book right now. I can't wait until the rest come out. I'm totally in love with it. I love the way he writes from different characters' perspectives. I love the way you know what's going on in different places, and seeing them come together. I love the way things you totally don't expect happen. I totally agree with whatever critic called it, Lord of the Rings for adults. Haha. It's FABULOUS. If you like knights and sorcery and dragons and epic adventures :P
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 07:59
Oprah Noodlemantra
Keeping You A Secret by Julie Ann Peters is an amazing book.
Holland is starting the second semester of her senior year. Already sick of her mother pushing her towards picking a college, her boyfriend's incessant requests for sex, and her "friends" always bothering her, Holland is blown completely off track when she meets a new girl at her school, Cecelia (Cece). The first time Holland sees her, Cece is wearing a shirt that says "IMRU?", with a GLBT symbol on it. A mutual attraction grows between the two girls, and Holland's world comes crashing down around her as she accepts her sexuality, and comes out to the people she loves.

I first read that book a few years ago, and it still amazes me every time I read it. Regardless of your sexuality, you get sucked into the story of this girl.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 10:32
Jessica [Private]
TWILIGHT
and now that my joke answer is out of the way...

I honestly would recommend Maureen McCormick's (Marcia Brady!) Autobiography.
I'm about halfway through, and it really is an amazing book, I haven't been able to put it down!

The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir is also a very good book, I just finished it. It's obviously about Queen Elizabeth I. Like a book about her life.

Ahh, lets see. I'll even turn around and pick my faves off the bookshelf ;D
without a net by Michelle Kennedy - About a woman who finds herself homeless with two children. Definitely amazing book.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood // Ya-Ya's in Bloom by Rebbecca Wells. I'm sure everyone knows what Ya-Ya's are because of the movie. But I read the books after and I think they're MUCH better. (like all books are!)

Lifetime's made lots of movies out of the Nora Roberts books, which are absolutely fantastic!!
I'd recommend any of those!
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2009, 01:01
jessicaツ
I watched Twilight & I know that they say the book is always better than the movie, but I can't imagine how good the book must be if the movie sucked that bad.
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2009, 01:31
Jessica [Private]
Well, I personally thought the books were good. But then again, I read the first one when it came out, back when I was in high school. So it was appropriate for my age group.
I thought the movie went waaaay too fast. The book had a lot more detail.
0 likes [|reply]
11 May 2009, 21:22
wugs
If you read the books first, the movie was one of the best comedies of the year.
xD
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2009, 01:09
Lauren.
AGREED! Haha :P.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2009, 02:47
.Ban.Ignorance.
The movie is NOTHING.. i mean NOTING compared to the book.. so many Twilight fans hated the movie at first due to the fact that it doesn't express what it should
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 11:42
Catch May If You Can
Well, i love to read, and so far, the must read books i must pick would have to be...

Alice in Wonderland: this wonderful tale not only talks about the journey of a young girl through a magical land called Wonderland, but also talks of the importance of rules in a young child's life, the importance of family and the importance of facing your fears and keeping your temper in certain situations. I have read this book many times and each time it captivates me, though through the looking glass for some reason i need to re read because that book isnt as fresh in my memory as it used to be.

The Handmaid's Tale: a dystopic society in which women are either enslaved and owned, brought to a farm to do manual labor if they do not obey the rules, or you work at a whorehouse.

This is a scary view on what can happen if we don't stand up for the rights we as people deserve and are entitled to. This also shows the extremes of a totalitarian government and how we should appreciate our democracy and the rights we have currently in america.

This is a great book and really makes you think.

I also am in the middle of reading Brave New World and HIGHLY recommend it, it is yet another dystopic futuristic novel and the struggles of acceptance and going against the grain in society.

If you are just looking for a really well done book that will simply entertain you, i recommend Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It brings you back to the innocence of your childhood by creating a fairy tale made for adults. This book made me feel nostalgic and i loved following this sweet journey that Tristan goes on. It felt like a warm blanket being wrapped around me, the perfect book for a cold night to warm you up.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 16:20
-kay
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is an amazing book. So good. :]
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 16:29
Tam I Am
Really anything by Jodi Picoult is worth reading.
0 likes [|reply]
10 May 2009, 16:29
-kay
Agreed.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends