It really depends on the child. I work with preschoolers and some of the things that have helped with potty training at home are:
- Letting your child be around the house naked. This worked with a few of the kids I work with and now they go to the potty on their own.
- For most of the kids though, taking them to the potty every 30 minutes seemed to really help out a lot.
- Talking about it! Like, "you're a big girl now...." etc.
- Letting her wear underwear. Most kids don't even like the feeling of being wet (when they have an accident) so they will grasp pretty quick that having wet underwear is not all that great.
- There are also books that you can look for. We have several at work that we use (but I can't remember any of the titles, lol) but if you want a list, I can try to find out tomorrow.