Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Television
Page:  1  2 
Favourite TV Shows
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 08:36
Aiure
I'm always curious about what people like. List your all time favourite shows. I don't want just a list, though, I want the reasons why you like those shows so much.

In no particular order, my top ten:

M*A*S*H
I don't care what anyone says, it was awesome from beginning to end. People tend to think it went downhill when Alan Alda got really involved in the writing, but you can't make a halfway realistic sitcom about a war and expect it to be the epitome of humour.

Titus
Fox canned it because it was "too realistic." It touched on a lot of sensitive issues like drug use, alcohol abuse and psychosis. Had Christopher Titus launched this show ten years later, he would've been fine, but his style of comedy was deemed too real for tv, even in the late 90's. At least it ran for three seasons before it was cancelled. Christopher still stands as one of my favourite comedians, and I love the fact that he's a car buff. I was hugely excited to see Chip Foose as a guest star on one episode. lol

Firefly
Joss Whedon's best show (I have yet to see Dollhouse, though). I found it so much more involving than Buffy or Angel. Maybe it was just easier for me to get attached to the characters in Firefly, or maybe I just thought Buffy was too cornball (I found it to be on the same level as Charmed, which I didn't really like either). I don't know.

Dead Like Me
Very interesting concept. It kinda makes you wonder about the people in the world. Tongue in cheek humour, kinda black, but you can expect nothing less from a group of reapers. hehe

NCIS
I didn't get into JAG, but its spinoff is sooooo much more interesting. The humour involved is very quirky, and that's part of the reason I love it so much. The characters are so lovable, too. I got quickly attached to them - I actually cried when Jenny Shepard died. I was hoping she'd stick around for a couple more seasons.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Absolutely fascinating. Half of the show's followers fawn over Major Kusanagi's hawt bod. But she's not even my favourite character - Batou is. This is also one of the few anime I will happily watch in English. I prefer subtitles with anime... English dubs are normally lacking proper emotion and is badly timed. The English cast of Ghost in the Shell did such an exceptional job, though.

CSI
This would be the original - Las Vegas. I've been following it since its premier. Normally, I'm agitated when characters are killed off or leave, but they've seemed to hold things together really well. I cried when Warrick was killed, and that's only natural when you've been involved in his "life" for nine seasons. I was extremely disappointed when Grissom left....but Lawrence Fishburne is a good choice as William Peterson's replacement as the head of the unit. And, curiously enough, Lawrence Fishburne appeared in an episode of MASH in 1982. hehe

Mythbusters
I would think this one is pretty straight forward. TV can teach you a lot! Besides, they blow up a lot of stuff. hehehehe

Red Dwarf
It's silly. And I love silly. Its run spanned over ten years, yet only aired 52 episodes (which is just over two full seasons - approximately - for most other shows). But it gained such a following that it's coming back for a few episodes later this year. Not many shows can boast that much success with so little effort.

Monty Python's Flying Circus
Speaking of silly, this would be even sillier than Red Dwarf. It's considered a milestone in the comedy industry, and its influence spans nations and decades.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 00:18
Acid Fairy
Dead Like Me was fabby! Have you seen the new direct to DVD film? I watched it online, was pretty good.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 04:36
Beautiful Lies
I am in love with CSI. Like you I've been following it since it started 'back in the day.' I definitely cried when Warrick died as well. I had this secret hope that Warrick wouldn't die, he would just be severely wounded and leave the show that way, but alas, it was not so.

Also, Isn't Laurence Fishburne just a level 1 CSI? I thought Katharine took over Grissom's spot (cos she was Supervisor of the Swing Shift or whatever when Eckley broke up the team, she just refused to move into Grissom's old office) and then Eckley in turn became the Undersherrif once the other asshole that killed Warrick was caught. Right?

ALSO, NCIS is wonderful too! USA had a marathon on Sunday of NCIS and it was awesome! I watched it all day!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 05:09
Aiure
I'm not sure about Fishburne's position, honestly. I've failed to catch most of this season's episodes, due to my work schedule. I just assumed he took over. Methinks I'll have to watch 'em all tomorrow, since it's my day off :D
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 06:52
chelseaz
My favorites! :]

Gilmore Girls: It's clever and fast-paced and funny. The last season was kind of a mess, but the show ended well. I watch reruns all the time. It just never gets old.

Pushing Daisies: Ah, so cute. I love this show. It's clever and bright and sweet and has the best love story.

The Office: Great show. So funny. I'm kind of in love with Jim Halpert.

Friends: That show always makes me laugh. It never gets old.

I've also really wanted to start watching firefly. I have the whole series on DVD, but haven't had time to watch it. I'm really excited to get into it :]

0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 12:56
international
Gilmore girls was an awesome show!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 10:42
Oprah Noodlemantra
I love Dead Like Me and Dollhouse.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 10:51
Oprah Noodlemantra
I meant to actually post my favorites, so here we go:

Buffy
Totally kicks ass. Joss Whedon = genius.

Criminal Minds
Criminal profilers. Hot profilers. Love it.

Dead Like Me
A show about grim reapers, I mean, of course it rocks.

Dexter
Blood spatter analyst/serial killer who is totally hot? My dream man. ;)

House
My current top show. Hugh Laurie plays Dr. House so perfectly, I can't help but love this show.

Queer As Folk
Gale Harold (Brian Kinney) is my future ex-husband. Just so you know.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 12:57
international
Dexter is brilliant. Do you have any idea when it comes back on?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 11:18
Lady Elphaba
Scrubs

House

And of course:

Little BritainLittle Britain Image
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 08:43
Mnemosyne
Great taste.

Firefly (Absolute favorite. Ever. Damn Fox.)
Pushing Daisies (Bryan Fuller [Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls] and my wonderful Lee Pace. Okay, my other absolute favorite. Seriously, people, why did you let it get canceled?! :'()
Monty Python's Flying Circus is one of the funniest things ever.
Mr. Bean! (;D )
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (Space Mutiny is one of my very favorites... "I have a whole colony of people living in my beard!" "Wanna see me shake like a bull full of jelly?" "Hey, she died!" "Itchy, itchy, itchy. My pantyhose is itchy.")
I agree about Mythbusters being great. I watch it all the time.

I don't know if it's one of my favorites, but Carnivale was fantastic. But I LOOOOVE Clancy Brown (Earth 2 anyone?)

At the risk of coming off as the geekiest person alive... I'm not going to lie, there's something hilarious about Avatar: the Last Airbender Yeah, I'm 21. Yeah, I laugh my head off. Yeah, I like cartoons. (Especially the original Batman and X-Men cartoons. ;D GEEK!)
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 08:44
Mnemosyne
I guess, for proper grammar, pantyhose ARE. I guess. Yeah.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 08:45
Mnemosyne
And bull=bowl. It's going on 1 am and I had a very long day.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 08:49
Aiure
Old school cartoons are awesome. I still love watching lots of those old shows, like Earthworm Jim and Samurai Pizza Cats. And I'm 25. How's that for geeky. :P
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 11:44
~RedFraggle~
I LOVED the first season of Pushing Daisies, but I only watched the first two of the second season and I was disappointed. It just wasn't as good. I still wish they could have improved it rather than cancelling it though.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 17:24
Mnemosyne
Oh, what a shame! Because it improved tremendously after it got over that ridiculous plot point in the beginning. I always tell people that it really sucks at the beginning of the second season, but then later it starts to get back to first season quality, in my opinion. :D It is, of course, not AS fantastically good, but I rarely think that anything besides the first season is fantastic... but it stops seriously sucking. ;D

I felt like, because of the writer's strike, they were hurrying to get past that particular plot point so that they could move on with the story (since the first season was cut short). Which was terrible because I think that's why a lot of people stopped watching. I kept saying, "If it doesn't get better, I'm going to stop watching." But then it got better. ;D (in my opinion, again.)

But I don't think they ever aired the last three or so episodes that they had filmed. Ah well. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 08:59
Mnemosyne
I guess I didn't explain WHY and this will be my fourth post. Don't hate me, people. I had a long, crappy day.

Firefly is probably the best television show I've ever seen. It's funny. It's serious. It's incredible. The characters are diverse, the writing is fantastic, the worlds are great, the concept is wonderful. You get drawn into the story and you get attached to the characters and you see that EVERYONE is (excuse the cliche), more than meets the eye. And you love Serenity. Even if she's a deathtrap as Zoe says. ;) I love this show. A lot. (...but don't see the movie before you watch the TV series.)

MST3K is one of the funniest shows that was ever on the sci-fi channel. ;) They take crappy horror films and watch most of it while making fun of it and inserting words and comments. It's very funny and it's very quotable.

Carnivale was a fantastic concept that blended a historical event with science fiction/fantasy. It was an HBO series, so you know it's gritty and dark and... adult. :P

Mr. Bean. What can you say about Mr. Bean?! I watch it on the Spanish channel now (the only channel that plays it), which is okay because he rarely speaks. He's so sad and pathetic and a rather mean person! ;D But Teddy's too cute.

Pushing Daisies is a strange romance and comedy series about a Pie Maker (Ned, played by Lee Pace... love.) who brings dead people back to life for one minute to solve crimes about how they died (along with his partner Emerson Codd and the girl he loves (who he calls Chuck).) Come on, that doesn't sound good?? ;) It's funny and quirky and the set is so great because you don't know what time it's set in. It almost looks to be set back in time, but with strange modern gadgets. ;D I love this show.

There. There are some explanations. Sorry about four posts. :D
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 09:23
urgent napkin poems
I don't own a TV these days but I watched all of "Weeds" on tv-video.net over the summer. There's something cringeworthy about it and I wouldn't say I like it, but somehow I'm really drawn to wanting to know what shenanigans the family get into next, so I keep watching!

"The Graham Norton Show" is something I catch on YouTube when I get the chance. I live in America now but I grew up in England with "So/V Graham Norton" on Channel 4 every weeknight, and I really miss the British sense of humor - and Graham, in general. I'm fond of him.

"Will & Grace" was something I would watch every week back in the day. It's funny and irreverent and very, very clever. The producer also went to my college, which is cool. Our campus center is named after him, and we have the set for Will's apartment installed in our library. It's a mind-trip.

Not a show, but a genre - true crime. I love "Forensic Files," "Cold Case Files," "Dominick Dunne: Power, Privilege & Justice," "Most Evil," etc. I used to adore CourtTV here in the States before it became truTV, had its whole "NOT REALITY, ACTUALITY!!!" makeover and started showing day-in-the-life-of-lifeguards kind of stuff. Yawn.

And, um. "Wizards of Waverly Place," because... David Henrie, the kid who plays Justin? Hot as HELL. I got into the Disney Channel recently because everything is so simple in that world. If there's a disagreement in an episode, it's all resolved by the end. Nothing ever goes wrong and stays wrong, and that's nice.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 11:45
~RedFraggle~
When I was in university we used to always watch Graham Norton on a Friday night. Absolutely hilarious.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 12:54
international
Friends: It's simply epic and the best TV show to have ever existed. It's comedy, but it has absolutely everything about life. Best friendships ever. I like to say there's always a Friends moment in my life. The quotes are simply brilliant. And aside from the actual content the people who made it what it was managed to keep it as wonderful as ever. I'm not just talking about the actors sticking together, but others such as the writers, who make it simply impossible to pick a favourite episode or even season.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 00:00
Lauren.
Friends is, of course, the best show ever. As you know, I also have a Friends connection to everyday happenings ;). Such a great show.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 03:24
Minda Hey Hey™
I agree! I wish I would have watched it when it was actually still airing. Oh well. I watch it every night and every episode makes me laugh so hard!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 00:25
Acid Fairy
Friends: Just has me cracking up, no matter HOW many times I watch it.

Nip/Tuck: Very dramatic and always keeps you on your toes. Haven't seen the new series yet, since am English *sigh*. Also, there are a LOT of characters you can drool over ;)

Desperate Housewives: I just got hooked from the moment I watched it. It always delvers surprises.

Green Wing: A British comedy set in a hospital that only lasted two seasons. It was SO random and required a certain sense of humour, but if you possessed that type of humour, then it would have you laughing for days afterward.

Shameless: Another British comedy, currently in its sixth season. It portrays a family of tax dodging, dole scroungers on a council estate in Manchester. It's not full of particularly attractive people, and it is VERY racy, but it is so well done. Hilarious.

Top Gear: Yes, it's about cars, but the banter that goes on between Hammond, Clarkson and May is second to none. It is pure comedy, especially when they have to do challenges.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 12:59
international
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that... the good thing about Friends is that you can watch it over and over again and it never gets old!
0 likes [|reply]
25 Feb 2009, 04:11
starsmaycollide
Argh, just lost my post. Starting over.

My faves are -

Mad Men: best thing on TV, period. Well acted, beautifully shot, attention to detail is insane, and it feels like a compelling movie. Not enough people know about it. (it's on AMC.)

Brothers and Sisters: I love the ensemble cast. it's funny , witty, sarcastic, and sweet.

24: Jack Bauer could kill you with an ink pen. Enough said.

Alias: Sydney Bristow could probably kill you with an ink pen, while wearing a wig. :-P

Scrubs: adorable and weird. I love the running gags, like Dr. Beard Face (Fa-say!) and JD's girl names.

ER: When it's at it's best, nobody makes you cry like a baby over a character like this show. It might even be a random patient, but it makes you feel something.

The Soup: Joel McHale did his own version of Britney Spears's Womanizer. That was enough.

This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends