Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Search For Haleigh.... missing 5 year old from S
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 04:10
Jenna bean....
SATSUMA, Fla. -- As family members of a missing 5-year-old Putnam County girl pleaded for help on national television and law enforcement officials followed leads and interviewed everyone connected to the kindergartner, new resources joined the search on Thursday.

After 54 hours of intense searching and investigation, investigators said they still don't know what happened to Haleigh Cummings.

"We'll expand our investigation as far as it needs to go," Putnam County Sheriff Jeff Hardy said Thursday morning. "As far as whether or not Haleigh is still in the area, that is an unknown."

Haleigh was last seen at 10 p.m. Monday in her father's mobile home in Satsuma, where she went to sleep in a bedroom with her 3-year-old brother and her father's 17-year-old girlfriend.

On Wednesday night and Thursday morning, Haleigh's father, Ronald Cummings, made pleas for the safe return of his little girl on CNN, NBC and other national news outlets.

"I'd like to say if anybody's watching and they've seen the picture of my daughter and they've seen her anywhere, please get in contact with local law enforcement officer or Crimestoppers," Cummings told Channel 4. "I know what happened to my daughter. She came up missing out of my house in the middle of the night. Besides that, no I don't know."

The Putnam County Sheriff's Office said they must assume Haleigh was abducted because house-to-house searches of the neighborhood Wednesday found no evidence that she wandered away.

Ronald Cummings' girlfriend, Misty Croslin, said she woke up at 3 a.m. Tuesday and discovered the child missing and the back door of the home propped open with a concrete block. The father came home from work a few minutes later and both placed frantic calls to 911.

Cummings, Croslin and other family members and acquaintances were interviewed and offered lie-detector tests. Hardy would not confirm who had taken polygraph tests or discuss the results.

For the second time in as many days, friends and family said a prayer and lit candles Wednesday night for Haleigh's safe return.

"Everybody, including the family -- and I want that for the record -- has been extremely cooperative with us," Putnam County Sheriff Jeff Hardy said.

The third morning after an Amber Alert was issued for Haleigh, Hardy said a renewed ground search would begin Thursday of the five miles surrounding the Cummings' home. Low cloud ceiling in the morning prevented helicopters from being used, but boats and divers were still in the St. Johns River, which is only about 1,000 yards from the mobile home park.

Texas Equusearch, a mounted search-and-rescue group which helped search for missing Orlando toddler Caylee Anthony last fall, was to arrive in Satsuma on Thursday.

"A fresh set of eyes and they'll be able to cover some of the terrain that's very difficult to get to and they'll be able to get to it by horseback," Hardy said.

Celebrity bounty hunter Leonard Padilla, who was involved in the Anthony case, has offered a $25,000 reward if Haleigh is returned before midnight Saturday.

The missing girl's loved ones have stayed in a tent yards away from Cumming's double-wide mobile home for most of the past two days as they leaned on each other for support.

While Cummings and Haleigh's mother are divorced and their relationship was described as rocky, mother Crystal Sheffield said "We get along."

"I don't know where she is or who has her. I just want her home," said Sheffield.

Haleigh's grandmother, Marie Griffiths, said the little girl would never willingly go with a stranger, but she still has hope the 5-year-old is alive.

"Haleigh is living and breathing. I don't feel that there's anything that has happened to her bad," Griffiths said.

Putnam County Sheriff Jeff Hardy said early Thursday that searches for Haleigh by air, ground and water would continue through the day. In addition to dozens of deputies and officers from surrounding counties, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the FBI were also involved in the case.

Authorities ask anyone with any information to call the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at 386-329-0800 or the FDLE's Missing Endangered Persons Information Clearinghouse at 888-FL-MISSING.

So the dad is like, 25. His girlfriend is 17. The girlfriend cannot keep her story straight about who was sleeping where. I hope they find this little girl. The dad luckily successfully passed a polygraph, but he was also at work when it happened. This is about an hour and a half from me. Scary.... But I think the girlfriend somehow is involved..... Whether it be she did something with her, or she had someone kidnap her. Also, I have no clue where her mother is during all of this. Even if she does not have custody, seriously.... why so MIA?! Maybe her mom knocked on the door and led her out and kidnapped her that way. As there was no scruggle that they could find. Who knows..... only time will tell! But I really hope they find her soon.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Feb 2009, 17:25
Mamaof3*
what is up with all these children coming up missing? I just dont get it. Now I'm scared shitless to leave my babies with anyone
0 likes [|reply]
24 Feb 2009, 04:23
Jenna bean....
Lol now I understand why people homeschool. But that girlfriend seems shady to begin with. so we will see what happens.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2009, 00:30
Mama2One
this is really sad. I hope they find out what happened!!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2009, 00:59
annababe • •
i really didn't read this whole thing, but i find it incredibly weird that i know a girl who married into a Cummings family... last i heard they lived in the carolina's, but i think he's in the military, so who knows where they are now.

i hope the little girl gets found. also, it's pretty sick that the dad is dating a 17 year old. isn't that illegal?!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2009, 01:23
~*Shannon*~
Anna, it depends on the state. Some states consider 17 years old the age of majority...at least inasmuch as being able to have sex with someone much older than them.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2009, 02:27
annababe • •
hm, weird.
i don't think most 18 year olds (considered to be an adult) are even mature enough to be sleeping around and taking care of themselves.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2009, 01:20
take me there
i am 17 years old dating a 24 year old and I dont think its sick, but I do think it is strange that the girlfriend can't keep her story straight.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2009, 01:42
Jenna bean....
I think here in florida they have the 16-24 age law. But yeah, hes 25. so thats above the limit... but She also smokes. She was smoking a cigg on tv, but i can see why the cops didnt do anything. they have bigger things to deal with at the moment.... Its just really werid that they didnt take her brother either.

And yeah, she def cant keep her story straight. ive heard she was in the same room sleeping, then she wasnt.. .which is too werid... i mean, id be sleeping in the dads room if i lived there.... not the kids room. and not in the same bed as my boyfriends childrens bed.....

But I really hope they find all the currently missing children. :-(....
0 likes [|reply]
23 Feb 2009, 02:52
Wisconsin Mom
I was watching stuff about this on tv last night. the dad is 24. also the mom lives 100 miles away from her. they is also talk that haleigh was possibly seen in knoxville, tn. and that its possible that mistys cousin who is a sexual pedophile took haleigh kuz he was visiting and left around the time haleigh went missing. idk but i hope they find haleigh. she is a very beautiful little girl and she needs to be returned to her dad.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Feb 2009, 15:00
[.:Shelbi:.]
there's no such thing as a "scruggle."
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends