Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Whitney Houston Dies at 48
0 likes [|reply]
12 Feb 2012, 01:35
Eye.Lee.Uh
RIP sweet angel..

-----------------------------

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.
Houston's publicist, Kristen Foster, said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

----

Read more here CLICK
0 likes [|reply]
12 Feb 2012, 06:08
ღPhoenix
so so very sad! :(
0 likes [|reply]
12 Feb 2012, 14:33
Emily the Strange
Not really a shock, unfortunately. She had a sad life.
0 likes [|reply]
12 Feb 2012, 16:09
Pinochle
yeah, I read this last night. It seems like the mid 90's she became all screwed up. What a shame, being she had a beautiful voice and could hit those high notes. :(
0 likes [|reply]
12 Feb 2012, 16:28
HorrorVixen XO
Everything went to crap when she married Bobby Brown. Smh
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2012, 06:45
KerriBlue
I didn't realise she was so young. I mean she look(ed) young and everything, but usually celebs surprise me - they'll look like their 30 but they are actually 60. She on the other hand, she looked young and she really was young! It's terrible that this happened but like people before me have said, she was in her prime back in the 90's...it's unfortunate that she didn't manage to get back to that fabulousness again.

I posted on Tumblr a list of my top 10 Whitney songs....I'll post my top 5 here:
5. Didn’t we almost have it all
4. The Greatest Love of All
3. I wanna Dance with Somebody
2. I will Always love You

and my absolute favourite above all else:
1. When you believe (feat. Mariah Carey)
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2012, 14:20
Betch.
LOL. I love that last week she was a stupid crack whore and now that she's dead she's Saint fucking Whitney.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2012, 14:52
Lady Lazarus
Unless your making a general and sweeping statement about the media coverage over her death, I don't think it's fair to say that this thread so far is making her out to be a 'saint'. Everyone has put her death into the context of her struggles with drugs, and as with any death due to substance abuse it is still sad.. sad because she died and sad because she hadn't managed to turn her life around.. no one is stating that she's blameless in causing her own death in some way.. and I'd be interested to know how you know that last week the majority of people were thinking about Whitney Houston and saying "Wow she's a really stupid crack whore"... I wasn't. I wasn't thinking about her at all to be honest.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2012, 16:24
Betch.
Oh no, lets not get this all twisted. I'm not making any statement about the thread itself, i'm making a general statement about the media coverage of her death. You're taking what i said literally, and that's not how it was meant. I don't think i've actually had a thought about Whitney Houston in over a year, the point being though that whenever anyone mentioned "Whitney Houston" the first thing that comes to my mind is hard drugs and black eyes. I'm fairly disgusted by celebrity death coverage as a whole, almost an entire nation grieves hopelessly over someone that most of them have never met, never spoken to, all they know them by is what they did for a living. That's not to say I'm excluded, either, when Heath Ledger died i had a brief sad face because he was a very good actor and i liked a lot of his movies. I didn't pretend like it was a personal loss though, or cry, or even talk about it really, i didn't know him, why would i presume so? I can't stand media coverage on most any topic but i find it ridiculous that before she died, yeah, she was a great singer, people appreciated her for that and in the same breath demonized her for being a drug addict and criticized her for being a victim of domestic abuse. But, now that she's dead, she's a fucking saint and everyone is so devastated? Kiss my ass. How is this ANY DIFFERENT from Amy Winehouse? No one threw her a fucking parade, no one cried over it at The Grammy's. She was a famous singer who was also addicted to crack, and happened to die. Where is the line? It's either not there, or i'm just too stupid to see it, one or the other. In any case i never knew Whitney and if i have to hear "i will always love you" one more fucking time i'm gonna grab a shovel and start digging trenches.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 00:09
Beautiful Lies
The reason why it's different from Amy Winehouse's death is that... This is Whitney Fucking Houston we're talking about. She's been kicking ass and taking names since the mid 80's. That girl had a set of pipes and it's a shame that she won't be around anymore. Whitney Houston is a lot more influential to today's artists than Amy Winehouse. It's not my fault no one's going to miss her voice.

It's the same way with Michael Jackson. He was a HUGE inspiration to so many of today's artists. Should we mourn these deaths as if they were family? No, but it still blows that they're gone.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 16:09
Betch.
@ Beautiful Lies So because Whitney Houston could sing better than most of today's artists that makes her a more valuable human? Amy Winehouse couldn't hit enough high notes, so her death really doesn't count? I fail to see your logic here. And kicking ass and taking names? Uhm, where? Last time i checked she was smoking crack and taking punches. Michael Jackson's shows, i will give you, were phenomenal. He was an excellent entertainer. He was also a pedophile so don't try and tell me what a fucking shame it is he's gone. I'm sorry but boo fucking hoo, you'll excuse me if i fail to see how any one person's death means more than another's. We die, as a human race it's what we do, a lot of the time it's by our own retarded hands. Get over it.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 17:14
Chris
Do you sit around watching the news waiting for celebrities to die so you can come here and aggressively tell everyone how much you don't care?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 18:33
Betch.
Anon, you nailed it. I sit glued to the couch, surviving solely on what crumbs i can find in my armpits from bags of potato chips long past. I watch the news on a 24 hour basis, only sleeping during commercials, and when something i don't like happens my first reaction is to SPRING to Bloopdiary.com, which we all knows is famous internationally for it's fair and unbiased community feel, and regurgitate my hatred into the forums, with the pure intent of ruining someone's day lol. No, really though, if you don't want to see a variety of views on the topic, put it in your diary, not in the forums. I'm not attacking anyone in particular for being sad she's dead, for all i know every single person but me on Bloopdiary knew her on a personal level. My point is that i find it ridiculous that loads of people will mourn the death of a celebrity, but ONLY if that celebrity meets a certain criteria. In the case of Amy Winehouse, she wasn't AS GOOD a singer as Whitney Houston, so no one gave a shit. Even though they both belonged to the same career path, they both smoked crack, they both had abusive men in their lives, and they were both very well liked among a large demographic. They had a lot inadvertently in common, a lot of the same characteristics, BUT, Whitney could sing better, so no parade for Amy. The same is true in a hundred cases.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 19:24
Chris
Anon, you nailed it. I sit glued to the couch, surviving solely on what crumbs i can find in my armpits from bags of potato chips long past. I watch the news on a 24 hour basis, only sleeping during commercials, and when something i don't like happens my first reaction is to SPRING to Bloopdiary.com, which we all knows is famous internationally for it's fair and unbiased community feel, and regurgitate my hatred into the forums, with the pure intent of ruining someone's day lol.

I really, really don't doubt it.

No, really though, if you don't want to see a variety of views on the topic, put it in your diary, not in the forums.

I did put it in my diary. /shrug

In the case of Amy Winehouse, she wasn't AS GOOD a singer as Whitney Houston, so no one gave a shit.

Amy Winehouse wasn't NEARLY as iconic as Whitney Houston was. Amy Winehouse died from being an irresponsible twat, exactly what everyone predicted a year before she actually died. And even then, people WERE going on about Winehouse, forever.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2012, 08:55
Estella
@betch Well, it makes sense that people who like a celebrity and enjoy their product (acting, singing, etc.) will be more sorry that this celeb is gone than people who didn't. Just like with anything in life - we miss what we like when it's gone. That's not the same as mourning someone we knew, generally. When people are actually sobbing their hearts out over a celebrity, I think that's more a case of self-indulgent emo melodramatics than genuine grief!

Personally, I preferred Amy Winehouse to Whitney - she was more quirky, and I actually did prefer her voice - so I totally thought it was more of a shame when she died than when Whitney died. And I thought people were being sanctimonious idiots about it, judging her for her problems and practically acting like she deserved to die, so I felt compelled to stand up for her. And from an abstract point of view, both Amy and Whitney were young, and it's sad for people to die young. But, gosh, it's not personal grief - I think people get confused about that sometimes, because they associate death with grief, so they assume that if a celeb they liked has died, then they must be experiencing hardcore grief!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 21:31
Beautiful Lies
Oh yea, totally what I said. Great Job!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 00:21
Crixus
Was just about to post something similar to this.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 13:50
sumamen
omgosh. wow.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2012, 15:26
& skull.
shouldn't have married bobby.

also, fuck i thought she was nearly 60. drugs fucked her looks bad.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 02:36
SoA
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the little blip story on Yahoo the night she had died.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 02:49
SoA
My biggest thing with celebs & the coverage of their death is all of a sudden my Facebook, Twitter, and other sites I used are all of a sudden flooded with how so and so LOVED celeb-so-and-so....Really? Than why did no one know this of you? You don't even have any of said celeb-so-and-so's songs on your Itunes or what have you. You've posted pictures or status or whatever cracking jokes about them....So you LOVED them? No, you just want to get attention by saying how much you're going to miss them and their talent because they were your absolute favorite celeb. Yeah, you may miss them, but lets be real people, it's not like you'll never hear their voice again. Go to Itunes and fork out $0.99 to buy a song. If you're a family member or friend I could understand, because it's completely different than what Joe Shmoe down the road is going to feel/think. Honestly, just like with Michael Jackson & Farrah & every other celeb ((side note: am I the only one that noticed Etta James picture was not in the Memoriam? And upon further research, Don Cornelius was left out as well)) after a week or two no one will be talking about it anymore. So why the big show all of a sudden? I don't know, maybe I'm becoming cynical about it because I was once the one that shed a tear over Heath Ledger & Capt. Phil Harris but in all honestly, a week or two later it was like it hadn't happened. I don't mean to come off heartless, but honestly, when are we as a society going to stop acting like celebs are part of our family when in actuality we've never met them & the chances of it are slim to none?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2012, 23:38
being human.
do we really have to argue about this hahaha
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2012, 08:47
MindaHeyHey
apparently we DO have to argue. we wouldn't be bloop without some kind of forum drama! to be honest i hadn't thought of whitney in YEARS which goes to show you the impact she made on my life. is it sad that she passed away because of her battle with her addiction (it could have been a heart attack as well, who knows)? yes, it IS sad. it's sad that once again someone pissed away their life on drugs, it's sad that drugs can have that much of a hold on someone. goes to show you that you don't have to be famous to have an addiction. my uncle passed away due to drug related issues last year and it was a horrible thing to go through and my cousin recently came clean about being addicted to heroin--she is now 27 days clean but anything can happen. as mean as this sounds when someone famous passes away i can't help but think, "are we really wasting our time on people that are famous vs. people fighting for our country?" i shouldn't say wasting as harshly but it's what i feel. a death is sad no matter what but i feel like we glamorize shit and forget to focus on what's really important. whitney houston had an amazing voice, i'll give her that and it's a shame that she lost her addiction with drugs but it's not something i'm going to be sad about all day either.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2012, 14:36
*Forever Changing*
isn't it sad when ANYONE dies?
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2012, 17:27
Estella
@ *Forever Changing*: From an abstract point of view, yes. And from a concrete point of view, it's very sad for those who loved them.

But realistically, considering the many thousands of people who die every day, it's not possible for us to be individually sad about them all. We can say in an abstract way that it is sad, but we can't feel personal individual sadness for thousands of thousands of people we don't know.

And from a realistic point of view, everyone dies. It's part of life. So while it's sad for those who loved them and will miss them, it's also an inevitability.

I remember when Princess Di died. I was in Canada, and many people assumed I'd be heartbroken, since I'm English. They kept saying to me 'How do you feel about Princess Di's death?' and I said 'It is sad - she was young.' But this wasn't enough for people - they persisted: 'But how do you personally feel?' So I said 'Well, it is a sad thing to have happened, but I didn't know her personally, so I don't feel personal sadness.' There's a difference between recognising that a situation is sad and personally grieving.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends