Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Books
What is the BEST book you have read in 2011?
0 likes [|reply]
31 Dec 2011, 21:22
The Crafting Wife
I didnt read many books this year... sadly i did not have time...

but i was able to complete a book last week

Fireproof by Eric Wilson - also a movie (follows really good - just few details left out) - this is my new favorite

what was your best read this year? (other than bloop ;-))
0 likes [|reply]
31 Dec 2011, 22:25
Jessica
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. Absolutely LOVED it.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Dec 2011, 22:29
The Crafting Wife
what is that about? :-)
0 likes [|reply]
31 Dec 2011, 22:39
Jessica
It's the Infernal Devices series, which is the prequel series to the Mortal Instruments Series. They're all seriously amazing books.

Here's the synopsis from the first book, City of Bones.

"When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end."

http://www.goodreads.com/series/44457-the-mortal-instruments
http://www.goodreads.com/series/54144-the-infernal-devices
0 likes [|reply]
2 Jan 2012, 04:18
.Amber.
@Jellyka - I have that (Clockwork Prince) sitting on my Kindle WAITING for me to read it, and it's been there since the day it came out ... but I just haven't had the oompfh to pick it up yet. Maybe I should!!

@The Dreaming Wife - I can't narrow it down to a single BOOK ... but I'm going to go with either the Mortal Instruments series, or the Fallen series.. Both I was completely enamored with.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Jan 2012, 04:55
Jessica
@Amber: Aaah, such a great book! This one's actually really good. Not as much going as there has been in other books, but it's far from a filler :)
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 00:06
Aubrey;
BEST BOOK that I read this year was probably Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. It was kind of a mystery thriller with a lot of personal drama involved, which is what I love! There's also a movie based on the book, but I haven't yet watched the movie.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 00:52
The Crafting Wife
if that is the movie i think your talking about - it was a good one i had no idea it was a book!
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 00:53
The Crafting Wife
@aubrey
0 likes [|reply]
2 Jan 2012, 08:39
SoA
*gasp* I didn't realize it was a book!! I loved the movie. I'll have to check out the book now. Yay! LOL
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 00:52
holdtehpickles
Probably Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
Worst was Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, that book left me seething with anger and annoyance.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 00:53
The Crafting Wife
@holdthepickles - jane eyre was a good book :-)

oh boy what happened in the wrost? that doesnt sound like a good one for anyone to read lol
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 01:24
holdtehpickles
There's no likable characters in Wuthering Heights.
..Just infuriating. The only decent character was the maid, she was the only one with a lick of sense.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jan 2012, 01:50
love♥nik
@holdtehpickles preach it. WH is SO FUCKING ANNOYING on so many levels. Most books/classics I'll read a few times if it's hard to grasp b/c I want to understand what's going on, or at the very least, I'll google/wiki it.... WH?!?! OMFG Cathy made me wanna smack my head against the wall. Repeatedly.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 01:29
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
Hmm...the best book I've read is actually 3 books...The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 01:47
The Crafting Wife
@greta - i liked the series i read it last year but the last book i read this year, i thought it was a drag, i just wanted to see how it ended... i think they found the 4th book if they havent decided to publish/finish it for him
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 01:48
The Crafting Wife
Maybe cuz i read it back to back and i wanted to finish it and move on... like id be bored if i read something same over and over... (writing style)
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 15:49
ღ.Life With 3
Where in the first book does it 'pick up'? I have it on my Nook, and have started reading it about 4 times now, but just cannot get past the first few pages. lol
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 16:17
Greta Garbage
@ life: it was a slow read at first but it picks up after the first chapter or two. It's worth hanging in there and trudging through it!
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 16:28
ღ.Life With 3
@greta - Thanks! Maybe I will be able to muddle through it one of these days. I've seen the preview for the movie, now I want to see that, but I always try to read the books before I see the movies. lol
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 16:35
Greta Garbage
@life: hope you end up liking it! The American version of the movie was great. I saw it last week.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 01:32
holdtehpickles
Ah, I also really liked 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 01:50
Me, I'm Not
Steve Jobs by Water Isaacson and 11/22/63 by Stephen King
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 02:17
The Crafting Wife
@ me, Im not - i am actuallly reasding that 11/22/63 right now :-) just dont have the time to sit and read...

the book doesnt seem what it is supposed to be about - the whole thing in school (i am in the begining) could you tell me what more details about the book i may get a bigger picture of what it is about?
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jan 2012, 02:18
Aubrey;
@The Dreaming Wife --
Yeah, as you know I've got 11/22/63 as well, but I want to sit and give myself time to read it, because I know with Stephen King it's better if you can sit and enjoy it.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends