Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Moms sending chicken pox lollipops in the mail
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 12:39
Estella
So, Bloop moms - is this something you'd consider doing?

You’ve probably heard of "chickenpox parties," where parents get unvaccinated kids together (in the home of an infected child) in the hopes they'll catch the disease. They think making their kids suffer through the disease will help them develop stronger immunity than immunization would provide.

But now the buzz is all about people shipping objects that have been contaminated with the chickenpox virus to people who live too far away to attend a pox party.

A Nashville TV station Thursday reported on a local woman who charged $50 a pop to ship suckers smothered in saliva by her sick kids.

Read more...

And in general, whether or not you'd buy a chicken pox lolly for your kids, would you choose to take your kids to a chicken pox party or would you rather get them immunised?
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 14:03
Shar
Maybe it's just me but this sounds disgusting. Why would you buy a lollipop someone's sick kid had licked? How do you know the only thing they have is chicken pox? Th ere are just so many ways this could go bad, I wish people would really think about these things before they did them. I had my son vaccinated.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 15:19
Estella
@Shar - yeah, if you click on the whole article, the general attitude is that it's not a good idea - for the reasons you state, and also because it's actually illegal. I'm imagining (hoping) this was just a one-off crazy woman who wanted to make a quick buck, but who knows!
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 21:18
Lovin'MyLittles
Uh.. we don't do the chicken pox vaccine.. and I'd *never* do something this absurd.. ever.
I would, however, take my child to a "chicken pox party" over the vaccine.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 21:23
Estella
Why the party over the vaccination? To get a stronger dosage of the virus?
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 23:48
.Amber.
I would never willingly subject my kids to a sickness, regardless of if it's "better to get it younger" or not.
That's disgusting, and just plain MEAN.
Why would you purposely make your kids uncomfortable when it's possible they could NEVER get it if you just leave them alone?
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 23:57
Estella
I guess to decrease the risk of serious complications and getting seriously ill and potentially dying in the future - that's generally the idea behind vaccinations. Vaccinations are the more controlled way of subjecting kids to sickness. A party is a bit of a wild card - the kid could become really ill or just a little bit ill. The lollipop could of course carry all kinds of other diseases!
0 likes [|reply]
8 Nov 2011, 00:15
.November.Butterfly.
yikes if you had chicken pox as an adult you'll wish you had it as a child! its brutal as an adult and much more likely to make you seriously ill in hospital. as a child its usually fairly mild, just itchy, my daughter had about 20 spots max.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2011, 02:26
Lovin'MyLittles
@ Puck: ("Why te party over the vaccination? To get a stronger dosage of the virus?")

I really don't see the Chicken Pox as a dangerous disease. Yes, yes, yes I KNOW it can be dangerous but it's *SO* rare that it GETS that dangerous. It usually only gets that bad in folks who have a weakened immune system.

For me, I'd rather them get the virus. From what I've read in the past, getting the CP virus from the actual source (someone who has it) is more effective than the vaccine. The vaccine of course has ingredients in it that are preservatives, etc. I'm not entirely comfortable with that, and if I could have them get the actual CP virus -- I'd rather that happen. I know so many kids IRL who have gotten the vaccine and STILL gotten CP. What's the point?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2011, 20:19
Estella
@ Stephanie: Makes sense - to get the stronger dosage, for stronger immunity. Seems to be the main reason people do the parties.

BTW - I've never seen chicken pox abbreviated to CP, so got a bit confused here! I was reading this and thinking 'WTF? Why have you suddenly started talking about cerebral palsy? And since when is there a cerebral palsy virus??' ;D
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2011, 21:41
Lovin'MyLittles
@ PUCK: LOL! Sorry. I am so lazy. I abbreviate everything I possibly can ;]
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 15:11
.November.Butterfly.
we dont vaccinate in the uk, we do do chicken pox parties. when my daughter had them my friend was like 'quick come over, we've not had them yet!' but this is pretty gross i think! i can see the point to avoid vaccination and get it done with, but does it even work?
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 15:15
.November.Butterfly.
*for chicken pox
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 15:17
Estella
@.November.Butterfly. Don't we? Oops, gosh, I thought there must be chicken pox vaccines by now, since the US have 'em. When I was a kid there were no vaccines though, and I didn't attend a chicken pox party. I remember thinking I must have natural immunity, cos when I was 7 everyone at school got chicken pox and I didn't! But in retrospect, I imagine that's because I wasn't very sociable and didn't go very close to anyone! I got it as an adult, at age 21, so clearly wasn't as immune as I thought! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 17:11
Jessica
I agree with Shar about the lollipops - I think that's a bit over the top.

But after seeing how sick (and scarred!) my sister got after catching them when she was 18, I'd never want to risk my kids having to go through that. I would most definitely be taking them to the Pox Parties. I remember having the pox when I was about 7 or 8 - and while it itched, I wasn't completely miserable. Had a few oatmeal baths and some of that pink lotion (calomine?) and I was content.

I'm not a fan of shots, and because I got chicken pox I didn't have to get vaccinated every year for Varicella (it's required if you're in public schools here, if you haven't had them). I wouldn't want to continuously get my children vaccinated for something - when they could get the pox, itch for a few days, and be immune to it. Although I do understand that in some cases you can catch chicken pox a second time, etc. But as I understand the odds of that are pretty low!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 17:33
Estella
@Jellyka - yeah, it used to be that they said you could never get chicken pox a second time, but now they're saying that once you've had it once, you may get a worse version of it the second time, or you may get shingles, as the virus stays in your body forever.

When I got chicken pox as an adult, the doc listed all the complications that are more likely to happen to an adult than a child (such as arthritis, pneumonia, etc.), which quite terrified me, but fortunately none of those things happened. But I can see how parents would prefer their kids to get it young - although I've known kids to get it badly and be thoroughly miserable, and the possible complications are still a risk for children, although a lower risk. But better to get the misery out of the way young, I suppose, and while the risk is lower.

I didn't realise it was a yearly vaccination. Gosh, for kids who hate injections, I can imagine they'd rather just get the chicken pox!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 18:48
Jessica
@Lady Puck: It may be every two years, I'm not 100% certain on it (as I've never had to get it!) but I recall seeing the notices asking when I had the vaccine (or the illness) from the school frequently [why they didn't just mark it on my record, I'll never know!]

Okay so never mind that. Apparently there's just two shots for the vaccine? Shows how much I know! Although apparently you can get shingles from the vaccines. Ew.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2011, 19:02
Estella
@Jellyka - Ah okay. You can get shingles also from having chicken pox. Both the vaccinations and chicken pox itself put the virus inside you, and once the virus is in you, you're vulnerable to shingles. Whereas those who have never had chicken pox or the vaccination are not.

I'm guessing the logic is that if you don't have the vaccination, your'e likely to get chicken pox at some time, so you're most likely going to end up with the virus in you from one means or another, so best get it put there early when there are fewer risks.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 00:47
Meghans Follie
its a yearly vax for ya'll there? here's its two shots and the CDC is investigating if a booster during the late teen years is needed or not.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 00:52
Estella
@ Meghans Follie - no, we don't get vaccinated for chicken pox here. I thought Jellyka was saying it was a yearly vaccine in America, but then she said it's just two shots, same as what you said.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 01:57
Meghans Follie
@ Puck ahh ok. ty for the clarification :)
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2011, 02:18
Jessica
@meghans follie: Yes, that was my mistake! I've never had to get the vaccine, and I assumed it was like the flu shot ;D Silly me!
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2011, 03:50
♥Mars.Foxx
if my child hasn't had them by age ten i'll be having him vaxed, but we will do the chicken pox party thing before hand if we can. getting sick is much better then trusting a vaccine that could still leave you vulnerable later in life. for me it was an itchy few days i got to skip school. for adults it can be very serious. this lolly pop thing just sounds weird =/
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2011, 06:21
dawn to dusk
I've never even heard of a chicken pox vaccine...crazy! Is it mandatory in places with universal health care (like Canada)?

I got mine when I was 2, when my older sister entered kindergarten. It's my first memory, and that sucks, but if you have siblings/cousins/friends to catch it from, I don't see how any of this stuff is even necessary. I have known exactly one person in my entire life who didn't get it as a child. Everyone I grew up with was perfectly fine after they got over it. It's not like it's polio or something...
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2011, 22:04
Miss Murder
I want to take Connor to a Chicken Pox party because we don't have the vaccine in the UK so I'd rather he just got it now and it was over and done with before he gets older.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends