Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Layouts and Coding
WARNING to all layout diaries!
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 04:32
Bellatrix Lestrange
As I was browsing OpenDiary, I came across a layout diary filled with layouts taken from here...

HTML.Fairy Layouts

Layouts taken, credits removed and, from reading their frontpage, it seems that they are claiming all those layouts as their own.

In case you didn't know of this, thought I'd let all layout makers on here know.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Nov 2011, 01:41
Eye.Lee.Uh
she deleted the diary..
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 07:26
SoA
wow that's fucked up. i just don't get how people can be like that.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 17:17
Bellatrix Lestrange
@ Mistress Snape ;

Yeah -- it's actually not that hard to learn the coding + make your own layouts. They are just lazy =P
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 17:33
SoA
@Lady: Yeah, I'm one of the lazy ones, but that's why I go & look at the stuff that other diaries do & offer. I noticed some of layouts were from diaries where the rules are that the layouts are for bloop only. If it was something I spent my time on & then someone took it & claimed it as theirs, it would piss me off. It's stupid for someone to do that. So many people have more then one online diary/journal site, it's next to impossible not to get found out.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Oct 2011, 15:24
Bellatrix Lestrange
@ Mistress Snape ;

Aye - The most annoying thing is when you spend a long time making a graphic and they steal then claim it as their own.

I haven't really been bothered to make proper graphics lately. Made one for NoJoMo at OD. . .But yeah, no time or energy like I used to have. Ha.

But for people in general, it's not nice to have the work you've done claimed by someone and uncredited.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 08:10
Estella
Where exactly are you claiming she took them from? As far as I can see, she is using coding (which is freely available to all to use) for colours and boxes and stuff. And she's not even Firefox compatible. Has she taken any artwork designed by anyone here?
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 17:15
Bellatrix Lestrange
@ LADY PUCK ;

Yes, she took layouts from various layout diaries on here, claimed them as her own {taking the codes off, etc.}

Including my layout diary. And Sarah Lea's, classic layouts, Designs by Jess, etc. . .
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 16:51
Meghans Follie
never understood why people get so ... pissy for lack of a better term. I had someone a year or two back claim I had stolen one of their layouts... when in fact my brother (who had never heard of bloop) had helped me with the coding and I used images I found by googling celtic knots. When its boxes and colors and graphics.. I dont understand how people can claim that somethings been "stolen"
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 17:16
Bellatrix Lestrange
@ Meghans Follie ;

Luckily, I'm not really pissy about it. I just think it's silly -- if they want to create layouts, they should make their own. o_O

But there are some people on here {well -- definitely back in the day!} who didn't like it + would have wanted to know.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Oct 2011, 05:03
lithium layouts.
@Meghans Follie - I would get pissy about it when people swiped my entire layout from start to finish - code, images and all - and said that THEY made it. This is because I often would use my own photographs/artwork and yes, I know, putting anything on the internet like that is fair game, but it's not nice when someone a) takes your piece of art and b) claims that they made it themselves. It's rude. xD

I do agree, however, that you can't claim pure code as your own. The way I learned how to code was copying it from other people, and changing it slightly, and seeing how it worked. xD

I think that while not legally/officially wrong, it is, in certain cases, definitely morally wrong, in principle.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Oct 2011, 05:06
lithium layouts.
(My last sentence was meant to refer to the fact that layout-stealing as a whole is 'morally wrong', not stealing just the code portion of it.)
0 likes [|reply]
20 Oct 2011, 11:52
Estella
When it comes to stealing artwork and claiming it as one's own, I genuinely can't see the point of it. I mean, if you'd stolen it and were entering it into a competition so you could win a nice prize, that would make sense (morally wrong, of course, but the motivation would make sense). But when someone steals a random pic simply to post on one's diary and say 'Look what I did!' ... like, why? So that some random teens from around the world can say 'Gee, that's really good!' ?? The mind boggles! I actually find it incredibly amusing - especially when they then take another piece of artwork from a different artist, and it's as plain as day that they were not both drawn by the same person, and yet they totally claim they drew them both! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
22 Oct 2011, 21:33
lithium layouts.
@puck - I'm not sure. Laziness? Boredom? I doubt it's much more malicious than that. xD Maybe they think that "making the layout yourself" can actually mean just finding one and pasting it into your own diary and saying it's your own? xD Because like, the seconds spent highlighting text, selecting "copy" and then selecting "paste" is so much hard work and deserves proper credit! xD
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 17:32
Estella
Can you link to some examples? I'm pretty sure Classic Layouts is Firefox compatible. Link to a Classic Layouts layout that this person nicked, and then link to the corresponding entry on this girly's diary.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 17:58
Emily the Strange
I'm confused about the big deal here. Do layout diarists get paid for their layouts and this diary is stealing business?
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 22:36
*amour de bebe*
she's taken some of the layouts posted in my layout diary.... It wouldn't be so bad if she left the credit on or at least commented saying what she was doing!
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 22:40
Estella
Why don't you comment her on OD? All 'Gosh, hi - nice to meet you! So cool that you liked my layout enough to share it here on OD! Don't forget to link to me, or, like, I'll sue you!' ;D
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 23:00
*amour de bebe*
Lol I had a bit of a go at her tbh, and I'm trying to delete the urls off my Photobucket otherwise it will use up all my space if lots of people use those layouts. They're for bloopers only lol. I wouldn't usually mind but she hasn't even left a link/commented or anything =/
Our layout diary is set to MO so she's a member here on bloop, too.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 23:06
Estella
Ooh - gosh, dramaz! I wonder who she is! You could always write an entry on OD exposing her, and get Elena to vote it RC. Create a bit of OD dramaz!
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 23:09
*amour de bebe*
Lmao!! Naaa. But I do want to know who it is ;D
Bloop xtra on the layout diary might be the way to go ;)
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 23:21
Estella
To be fair, someone could nick your layouts without viewing your diary - they just need to find a diary which is using the layout, and use the 'view source' option. I learnt how to make layouts that way. Although she doesn't seem like the brightest crayon in the box, so that might be a bit beyond her! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 23:34
*amour de bebe*
Oh her personal diary on OD is the same asher one on bloop, same layout and everything ;) I've never come across her diary before...
0 likes [|reply]
19 Oct 2011, 23:39
Estella
Aha - yes, found her. Gosh, her layout is a nightmare on the eyes. I can see how she'd want to steal layouts from other people, rather than use her own! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
20 Oct 2011, 02:13
Jessica
@amour de bebe: You'd be surprised at how un-helpful xtra really is at finding people who nick layouts. It would work (probably) if layout diaries only got a few views every now and then - but it's shocking how many people view layout diaries, especially ones that update regularly, like you do! ;D
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends