Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Suggestion Box
Page:  1  2 
need help with gettin my kid to stay asleep!
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 07:20
amy
I do a lot of the same things as Mindi; lights are off or very very low for all night changing/night feeds & no talking. If I do ever talk (& mostly it's just a shush noise) it's whispered & in a boring tone. He's also got a thing which hangs on his cot & plays classical music & it only gets switched on at bedtime or if he wakes during the night, so he associates it with sleep. Before bed at 6 we bath him, dress him, bottle then bed. After about 4 he's not allowed to nap either, no matter how grumpy he is because it throws him off (not that he ever naps anyway).
I also don't go through to him until he starts getting upset or cross, & then I try putting his dummy in & his music then leaving at least twice before feeding him. Frequently he'll wake up, natter to himself for a bit & drop off back to sleep. Okay so I'm awake listening to him on the baby monitor but I don't have to leave my bed.
At 6 months Rowan has started sleeping through, before this we'd have war every night because my child just hates sleeping. So it does vary from child to child. Maybe try water instead of milk & jut giving it to her & sitting out of sight in the room whilst she drinks it so she gets no interaction?
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 09:44
.love.struck.
Maybe play with her for a few hours before bed. My son is only 8 months but he is an active boy. He'll walk within a few months I'm guessing. Grandma tires him out before bed and he sleeps soundly.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 15:11
bakerjessica87
my 14 month old still doesnt sleep all ngiht either.. she still wakes up 2-5 times a night.. i have no clue what to do.. I've tried everything..lol
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 16:55
Immortal Shadows
I got a really good book from my sister. It's called "Good Night, Sleep Tight. The Sleep Lady's Gentle Guide To helping your child go to sleep, stay alseep, and wake up happy" by Kim West. There is a lot of good advice in this book. It's for newborns to age 5. You should really check it out.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 18:58
Emily the Strange
I hear earplugs work wonders. Some can actually form to your ear so you won't hear your baby cry at all! Good luck! :)
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 21:31
BeautifulBrownEyes
I thought you were supposed to stop bottles at 12 months. If she's waking up hungry then I'd wonder if she's getting enough food during the day. I think a snack before bed like someone mentioned is probably a good idea. Also, if you genuinely want to stop the behavior, you're going to have to make interaction when she wakes minimal. Check on her and make sure she's ok, then leave. Don't cuddle, sing, or anything else.
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 22:10
*Forever Changing*
@beautiful you are supposed to but not everyone does. My kids throw their bottles away at their first brithday party, and they get a sippy cup as a present :)
0 likes [|reply]
15 May 2011, 22:59
Lexie💜
I agree with Mindi. My kids have slept through the night since forever ago...and NO im not one of those moms who gives my baby cereal WAY to early just to make them sleep through the night...ugh. Like Mindi said though...no lights when they wake up and all that jazz....hopefully you find something that works....just remember its going to take some time for her to get used to a new routine....
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2011, 12:14
♥ Monique
Wish I could help :( My oldest was waking 1x a night until she was 3mos, then began sleeping through. My second child would wake once during the night until he was about 5mos - he had reflux though and was getting cereal added to his bottles, depending on what time we put him to bed (They told us the cereal fills their stomach and keeps it full much longer, harder to break down the cereal).. and my 3wk old son currently goes to bed at 11pm and will sleep until 5/6am :/ Not sure how I lucked out with sleepers.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2011, 20:24
Bellatrix Lestrange
@ & skulls. :
"what's the internet without lolcows?"
*like*
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2011, 23:41
HorrorVixen XO
My almost 3 and 5 year old still wake up during the night. I wish I could get them to sleep through the night in their own bed and not come to ours. I did it when I was their ages. I know in due time it'll change. I just hope it changed when we get our own place.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 12:11
Half Dozen Mama
I don't really have advice as I suppose we just got lucky with all of our kids, but the cereal in the bottle comments are making me seriously cringe, so I want just want to throw these out there...... (and seriously, a 14mo old should be eating TABLE FOODS, not a bottle full of milk & cereal.)

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm

http://www.babycenter.com/404_will-my-baby-sleep-better-if-i-add-cereal-to-his-bottle-at-n_9155.bc

http://www.parenting.com/article/mythbuster-infant-cereal-in-babys-bottle

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-bottles-and-cereal

The only advice I can really give here is, if you're going to hop on the "feed more to sleep more" bandwagon, please make sure it's TABLE foods and ONLY if she isn't already getting adequate nutrition throughout the day. Don't over feed her because some people are wrongly informed thinking it will make her sleep more.

At this point, as long as she IS getting the right nutrition throughout the day, she is waking up because the bottle has become a habit, a means for COMFORT.... not because she is hungry. So honestly, the best thing you can do is cut the bottle, completely.

0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 12:18
Lexie💜
I so agree!!!
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 18:40
Avonlea@ITW
It doesn't sound like she's waking up because she's hungry. It sounds like you've trained her body to expect a bottle at that time, even though she doesn't really need it. I'd stop giving her bottles at night. If you can't do it cold turkey, try this:
Start mixing water in with her (what do you put in her bottle? Formula?) Each night, make it a bit more water and a bit less formula. Finally, you'll be to the point where it's just pure water you're giving her at night. Then, if she still bothers to wake up for that, lessen the amount of water gradually, until it's less than an ounce.
This way, you'll train her body to not expect anything at night, and she should start sleeping through.
Also, be sure you're not playing or doing anything stimulating during these wake ups. Make them totally unrewarding for her.
I hope this helps!
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 19:10
HorrorVixen XO
i agree about cutting the bottle out completely. my daughter was 2[i know it was a little late] and my son, he was 18 months when i took their bottle away. yeah they hated it but it was easier. i just wished i did it sooner.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 19:10
HorrorVixen XO
wish*
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 20:54
Lexie💜
Yeah BOTH my kids started getting weened off the bottle a few months before they're first birthday...so by the time they were a year old...no more baba! AND once they have no more baba...theres no more "drink" at bedtime either. which is also part of the weening.
0 likes [|reply]
17 May 2011, 21:01
Lexie💜
let me clarify that they still get the recommend amount of formula BEFORE bedtime...since people are judging hardcore now-a-days...lol I just dont lay them down with a bottle/cup at night.
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2011, 15:16
DivaAshley
My daughter woke up at night until she was almost 2! We cut bottles at about 13 months. Yeah, I know they say 12 months, but every child is different. I did stop giving her a bottle in the middle of the night, however. I gave her a sippy cup of water when she'd wake-up (after 12 months), and I'd hug her, kiss her, and get her back to sleep. She did take a pacifier until 16 months, though, so that made weaning easier. Eventually, her body got used to sleeping at night. Sometimes their little bodies are just trained to wake up at a certain time.
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2011, 11:07
.Blue Bella.
My daughter was a good sleeper up until around 14 months but then she decided to start waking up. Int urn that made her want milk to go back to sleep.

We got her a night light, I changed her room around, and set a bed time routine. Dinner, bath, play (puzzles, blocks etc), story, drink of milk, brush teeth, cuddles, bed. I do think the biggest thing was the night light. She was also still thirsty in the night so she does have a sippy of water in with her.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends