Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Suggestion Box
Page:  1 
Need help: Clomid/breastfeeding
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 04:22
.Ban.Ignorance.
Lets see if I can get some help with this.. I am trying to find some information - is there a correlation between problems with breastfeeding and women who took Clomid to get pregnant. I'm having trouble finding ANYTHING about it.
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 05:35
kein mitleid
Have you tried using Google?

Also, you want a causative effect, not a correlation. Correlations are meaningless - just because nearly 100% of serials killers eat bread, doesn't mean that bread causes people to become serial killers.
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 13:25
~RedFraggle~
Well said. This seems to be something few people on Bloop can get their heads around.
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 15:10
Makayla
I'm not sure if this helps any or not. But I did find this on drugs.com

"It is not known whether Clomid is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised if Clomid is administered to a nursing woman. In some patients, Clomid may reduce lactation."

The way it is worded I'm not sure if this means if you continue to use Clomid while nursing it will reduce lactation or if it means it can reduce lactation if you just used it to get pregnant.
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 16:50
Lauren.
Do you mean taking Clomid while you're breastfeeding, or breastfeeding the baby you conceived using Clomid? If it's the first one, I think what Makayla posted should be helpful. You take Clomid to get pregnant, and then once you are pregnant, you stop, right? So I'm sure in those 40 weeks of gestation, the Clomid gets out of your system. I really don't think it would interfere with you breastfeeding if you haven't used it since conception.
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 21:34
.November.Butterfly.
I'm curious as to why you want to know? do you know people who have taken clomid and had issues? or are you planning to and wondering?
I can't think that there would be a link but also something to think about is that PCOS might be a pretty common reason to take clomid, and that can cause some issues with breastfeeding i think.
0 likes [|reply]
7 May 2011, 21:41
♥ Steph
Googled and found this on Ivillage message board. "Clomid may indeed suppress lactation in many women, particularly when given earlier in the postpartum period. Additionally, Clomid has not been reviewed by the American Academy of Pediatrics for it's affect on infants and transfer into human milk." The person is apparently a Board Certified Lactation Consultant. But still best to ask your dr. Seems like the dr that prescribed it would have mentioned something.

This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends