Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Caramel coloring may cause cancer.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2011, 21:20
Jessica [Private]
I saw this story in my student health news bulletin today, and did a little research to find out more. Apparently there is a big push to ban two types of caramel coloring used in popular soft drinks (IE - Coca Cola and Pepsi) because ingredients were shown to cause cancer in lab mice.

A major consumer group today called for a government ban on two types of caramel coloring used in colas, warning that the ingredients could cause cancer. The soft drink industry came out swinging, strongly objecting to the claim.

"We're asking the FDA to ban the use of caramel coloring that's used in colas and certain other soft drinks and a variety of other foods," said Michael Jacobson, Executive Director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. "The reason is that several years ago a government agency, the National Toxicology program tested a contaminant in the coloring and found that it caused cancer in mice and possibly rats."

According to the CSPI, pure caramel is made by heating sugar, while the coloring found in cola like Pepsi and Coca-Cola is made by reacting sugars with ammonia. Jacobson said the chemicals the reaction produces have been proven by federal government tests to be carcinogens, a finding that the Coca-Cola Company vehemently disputes.

"CSPI's statement irresponsibly insinuates that the caramel used in our beverages is unsafe and maliciously raises cancer concerns among consumers," the company said in a statement. "This does a disservice to the very public for which CSPI purports to serve. In fact studies show that the caramel we use does not cause cancer."

Source/More Story - http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cspi-caramel-coloring-cola-cancer-soft-drink-industry/story?id=12932008

What are your thoughts on this? I for one have never been a fan of dark soda... but I'd like to know how those of you who DO drink dark soda feel about this. Is it going to make you stop drinking Coke/Pepsi? Or will you wait until the FDA actually bans the ingredients?
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2011, 21:28
*Forever Changing*
The FDA approves a lot that probably shouldnt be. I LOVE Pepsi and coke, but now that I am pregnant (again) I have to go on my no caffeine kick again, which rules out dark sodas, and I am back to 7 up if I am needing a carbonation fix.

We all know soda is bad for us, so honestly, I highly doubt people will stop drinking it.

My dad drinks a 24 pack of coke a day, if anyone is gonna die from cancer, I have no doubts it will be him.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 06:21
.love.struck.
24 cans a day? That is terrible.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 16:16
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
*sad face* There goes Dr. Pepper and Cherry Coke for me.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 20:46
Beautiful Lies
You are not going to get cancer from Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke. You'll be fine.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2011, 22:27
Emily the Strange
Glad I'm not a mouse. Haha
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 04:21
kein mitleid
Everything is correlated to cancer in mice. I think maybe mice are the source of cancer.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 04:22
Beautiful Lies
Lab mice also showed signs of cancer when they tested them for the effects of aspartame (equal artificial sweetener) and we see that's a load of bullshit now too. Unless you're guzzling packets of equal sweetener by the truckload, you'll be fine.

I very rarely drink pop now anyways, because it's horrible for your health nutrient wise. Plus the caramel coloring is in much more than just dark colored pop. It's in beer, sauces (like soy sauce), gravies, baking products, it's in BREAD and CEREAL for Christ's sake. Should we all stop eating/drinking that stuff too?

I'm pretty sure we'll all be fine. You should stop drinking soda because it's full of empty calories, carbs and sugar and it's just nutritionally not a healthy choice. Not because you think the 'dark colored stuff' will give you cancer. Soda just gives you diabetes.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 05:10
*Ariana*
Agreed.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 01:20
kein mitleid
Fake soy sauce, that is, Meesa. That shit they serve across America is actually salty water (hydrolyzed vegetable protein), for the most part. The naturally brewed soy sauce doesn't need caramel color, the rich color comes during the fermentation process. Also, they have different shades of soy, based on the brewing.

0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 03:09
Beautiful Lies
Heh, sorry I didn't clarify. I don't know anyone that uses GOOD soy sauce in America anyway. :)
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 04:47
kein mitleid
*cough* Asian *cough* represent *cough* stereotype
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 19:10
Emily the Strange
Ina Garten. Everything has to be "good".
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 06:32
~Aiure
Mindi, how the eff is your father not in a constant diabetic coma?!
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 03:12
*Forever Changing*
My dad is disgusting. My step mom drinks just as much, as does my brother, he is a 200 pound 10 year old. I am so ashamed of them. I have no idea how they are still alive.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2011, 03:53
.love.struck.
I like coke but the thought of drinking a whole 24 pack in a day makes me sick.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 08:47
& skull.
everything gives you bloody cancer. i know i shouldn't drink as much coke as i do anyway, but i'm going to worry about it giving diabetes before i worry about cancer.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2011, 12:52
Estella
Yeah, most artificial colours and flavourings and sweeteners are linked to cancer anyway. I'm not sure how people could have been drinking soda and been oblivious to the idea that it contains carcinogens. Surely most people are aware that they are exposed to carcinogens every day, from all kinds of sources.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends