[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
The boy who saw Jesus
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 02:58
Moonlight Shadows
Meet the boy who met Jesus

I'm not going to paste the whole thing, as its pretty long.. but here's an interesting excerpt:

Colton was stricken with appendicitis shortly before his fourth birthday. Family guilt was heavy — for five days he lay getting sicker and sicker with what the family believed was stomach flu, which had previously hit Colton’s older sister Cassie.
Little Colton nearly didn’t make it: He lay in a hospital bed for 17 days. When he finally rallied, the family rejoiced — but they were floored when, months later, the boy began matter-of-factly describing what he had experienced when he was in between life and death: seeing Jesus dressed in royal purple, meeting John the Baptist, having angels sing to him to ease his anxiety.
The Burpos believed these were things Colton could have gleaned from his Bible studies. But he also told his mother he saw her talking on the phone in another room while he was having surgery, and saw his father praying in a small room, all while he was seated in Jesus’ lap.
“What caught my attention was he could tell me where I was while he was in surgery,” Todd told Lauer. “The surgeon couldn’t tell me that, the nurses couldn’t, my wife couldn’t tell me where I was praying. But he could tell me.”

Shocking revelation
Colton also spoke of meeting a long-departed relative in heaven, telling NBC News: “I was just sitting by the Holy Spirit and then this guy comes up to me and says, ‘Are you Todd’s son?’ I say yes, and he says, ‘Well, I’m his grandfather.’ ”
Colton said that everyone in heaven has wings. On Monday, he described his great-grandfather “Pops” as being “very big, huge wings, curly hair, a big smile, and he was very nice.”
But the real shocker came when Colton told his mother, “Mommy, I have two sisters.” Sonja told her son that he had to be referring to his oldest sister, Cassie, and his cousin Traci, but he responded: “No — I have two sisters. You had a baby die in your tummy, didn’t you?”
Sonja told Lauer the family had never uttered a word about the miscarriage to Colton — and what’s more, they never even learned the sex of their miscarried child. “It was a private hurt that we didn’t even share with our friends,” Sonja said, adding Colton’s revelation was at first “shocking, but then a relief that she’s OK, which we didn’t know she was a she.”

-----------------------------------------------------------
So... thoughts?
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 03:29
Lovin'MyLittles
I think it could happen. I don't practice any organized religion but I do believe in something higher than us - so perhaps this is what it was. :) Either way, if what the family is saying is true.. how freaky would that be?! :)
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 03:58
Chris
I think he was having a dream based on things he's heard, whether it be stories he heard from his family, in church or what have you.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 04:18
Moonlight Shadows
yes, but what about the rest of it? The miscarriage and where the father was at certain times.. do you think the parents made that part up? Or was that dreamed as well?
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 04:52
Chris
I'm certainly more inclined to believe that he "saw" his mother praying in the other room because that's the norm and/or she told him she would. Same thing with the father -- he's been on the phone before, so it's not a stretch to think of your father talking on the phone while you're in surgery.

It's more believable to me, personally, that this child imagined a scenario during a dream he had while in surgery based on things he's seen or heard in his life time.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 05:06
Chris
About the miscarriage part -- (sorry, I forgot to mention it) -- I'm beginning to think the whole story isn't being told in that regard. I just need more information in order to make a judgment.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 17:41
Bellatrix Lestrange
Poppycock.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 18:11
Poetic Justice
I think believers will believe, and non-believers will look for every possible way to call bullsh*t. But it is very interesting.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 11:14
CrystalsLost
@ Poetic Justice..I was going to say the same thing!
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 11:23
CrystalsLost
Okay after actually listening to the interview it does sound rehearsed and contrived. I do believe in heaven and think people have had experiences with heaven (rare) but I don't think this kid actually at 4 years old had an experience and then 7 years later is when they come out with the book. Gives them plenty of time to rehearse. And what 11 year old calls Jesus or God "the holy spirit" that made me question the story even more. I mean it could be true..but I doubt it.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 17:14
~Just the 3 of Us~
I just want to preface that I am agnostic and this does provide me proof and make me a believer. However, @CyrstalsLost: the only reason I think the little calls Jesus/God the holy spirit is because his father is a pastor. That's probably what they call it in their house (if I can to give him the benefit of the doubt about it being real).
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 18:21
Chris
@Mommy Bunny: You were agnostic before and a rather obscure, highly questionable story on the internet made you a believer?
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 19:18
~Just the 3 of Us~
NOT a believer, NOT! One little missing word completely changed the meaning of my post! lol Sorry about that!
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 19:24
Chris
@MB: Hahah, it happens.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 18:08
Poetic Justice
Hehe :)
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 20:30
Betch.
Frikkin LOL. Weird kid is weird. Idk, all sounds like there could be logical explanations, but we'll probably never know. This reminds me of that Australian girl who went into a coma, woke up and spoke fluent German despite having never learned the language or a single word, for that matter.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 21:02
Unauthorized
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368467/I-met-granddad--wings-Colton-Burpo-went-heaven-speaks-relatives-book-Heaven-For-Real.html

The fact that the parents wrote a book about it makes the whole thing questionable.

God, if you are out there, and I'm supposed to write a book, please bring ME a publishing company. Thank you.

I don't know. Odd things happen. It only means what you tell yourself it does.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 21:13
Unauthorized
correction-I guess the little boy 'wrote' the book..whatever..same thing either way.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Mar 2011, 11:42
Aubrey;
Hey, Unauthorized - if God brings you a publishing company, can you send him over here, afterward? I could use one, too. :-P
0 likes [|reply]
25 Mar 2011, 03:13
Unauthorized
@ aubrey; I shall definitely think about it.

There will be conditions. Main one being my book has to be a better seller than yours. I don't care if people think it's crap it just has to sell more.

And no claiming divine will if your book is better. I don't want to feel like God set me up to fail.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Mar 2011, 21:08
Beautiful Lies
I'm sure it's true. I mean, I was able to see the Virgin Mary in my almond butter this morning!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Mar 2011, 03:05
chiaromezzo
As an apprentice funeral director who has met and had conversations with people who have truly had these experiences and lived to tell about them... I call bullshit on this one, folks.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Mar 2011, 14:51
~Just the 3 of Us~
I am intrigued. Please tell me more. Why do you call BS?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Mar 2011, 03:48
chiaromezzo
I call BS because, as Anonymous Source said, this kid is probably simply regurgitating what he's heard about descriptions of Jesus and heaven.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Mar 2011, 10:28
an empty frame.
Man, I really want to believe this is true but I don't. I just think it's cruel that the parents would use their son in this way. Poor kid. The thing about the miscarriage is too convenient as well. Where's the proof that she was ever pregnant? And nobody in heaven wears glasses? Who would remember that detail, especially a kid?
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends