Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Madison, WI Protests
0 likes [|reply]
20 Feb 2011, 01:44
Jessica [Private]
For the sixth day in a row public workers in Wisconsin have packed the states capital, demanding that governor Scott Walker give up on eliminating their collective bargaining rights.

"We feel that balancing the budget should not be done on the backs of working class citizens who keep our communities running," said one protester.

While protesters rally in Madison, 14 democratic state senators remain in hiding across state lines, stalling a vote on the bill, and waiting for walker to reconsider.

We caught up with Wisconsin senator Lena Taylor last night.

"I’m ready to go back right now, immediately, if we can get out governor to agree that he should sit down at the table or at the very least to allow someone to help to facilitate those conversations," said Taylor.

But it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon, keeping democrats on the run for a few more days or weeks, since Walker says he's done talking.

"We're broke, we don’t have anymore options, we can’t do what the previous governor and legislator majorities did, and that is wait for federal government to bail us out," said Walker.

Local AFSCME representative Jay Ferraro took a group of Rockford union members to Madison today, to give their support for the states public workers. Ferraro says being broke is not an excuse to take away people's rights.

"We understand that throughout the whole United States there is problems with money right now, but it doesn't mean you can be taking collective bargaining rights away from employees that have fought so hard to get them years ago," said Ferraro.

The protest will continue tomorrow in Madison but it's also edging closer to the Stateline, a rally is planned in Beloit as well.

Basically schools have been shut down because of the teachers being in Madison, UW-Madison has had a walkout in protest.

I'm just curious what people's thoughts on this are. Madison is only a few hours away from me, so I've been keeping an eye on this.

Is anyone planning on going to protest? (Or already there?)

Source: http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=231206
Googling it will bring up a ton of stuff as well.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends