Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Suggestion Box
Page:  1 
Disabling 'Reply' Feature?
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 01:51
Jessica [Private]
Is there a way we can disable it so that people can't reply to our comments? Or at least a way to disable getting the messages for it?

I know I can't be the only one who hates having their comments replied to. It's such a pain having to clear the messages out of my inbox all the time.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2010, 23:07
lithium layouts.
Maybe a notification system would be better - I wouldn't know my comment was replied to unless I got the BloopMessage. But I think a notification thing would work because it would let you know, but it wouldn't clog your Bloop inbox. Maybe it's one of the things Steve is working on in the taskbar? It would be cool to include. =D
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2010, 23:30
Jessica [Private]
I'd very much prefer that over the messages xD

Idk they just really bother the hell out of me.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 01:52
holdtehpickles
I agree.
I'd like to at least disable the notifications.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 02:42
HorrorVixen XO
ditto.. call me lazy but i hate having to click the check box everytime i reply in the forums.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 03:53
Jessica [Private]
@Fearless: Oh I like the forum response messages ;D I'm weird like that.

That should be an option as well, though.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 02:49
Pixie.Rain
I agree
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 05:37
HorrorVixen XO
jessica: sometimes i like the forum reply messages... and other times i don't wanna be bothered with them! but yes, the comment reply messages r annoying too!
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 16:20
American
I like them all. I get them emailed to my blackberry, and check 'em on the fly...then go to my laptop later in the day to respond or delete them.
0 likes [|reply]
3 Nov 2010, 23:39
Hidden Depths
I agree with iWRITE.... if I didn't get the message notification about a reply via bloop, I wouldn't know that anyone had said anything. I have it so that I don't get messages in my e-mail, though, so I only check my bloop inbox whenever I log in to check comments anyway. Just my 2c.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2010, 04:38
Bellatrix Lestrange
Same here.

I like this "reply" feature Bloop has.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Nov 2010, 21:39
Jessica [Private]
@iWRITE: I'm not talking about actual emails. I mean the bloop messages themselves.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2010, 11:07
& skull.
i usually use the "converse" feature. i only use the reply feature if i want to reply to another commenter.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2010, 23:56
Lexie💜
I agree with & skull. I do the same thing..I hardly ever use the "reply" button....
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2010, 00:03
Jessica [Private]
Likewise. You have to physically go to the entry to reply to comments... which I think takes longer than just hitting the reply button in the first place.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2010, 17:01
Estella
Maybe you could make a footer for your comments that says 'Please do not reply to my comment. I do not wish to engage in conversation.'

I tend to assume that people comment as a sort of conversational thing, so I merrily reply to comments if I have something to say about them.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2010, 20:49
Jessica [Private]
No no, I don't mean replying as answering.
I mean clicking reply on my comment and replying that way.
I love commenting back and forth, but I prefer when people use the converse feature, not the reply feature.

Putting a footer wouldn't do anything.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2010, 21:06
Estella
Ah right. For me it depends on the context. Sometimes it seems more appropriate to reply in the same place, because there is a wider conversation going on with all the commenters, so what I have to say is relevant to a few of them, and to the whole conversation. Such as when an entry is about a certain issue, and people are debating and discussing. Much easier to have it all in the same place! I think a few people do this, and if you disabled the reply feature, they'd simply reply underneath your comment, as used to happen, so you never actually see it unless you decide to return and look.

Actually, even when it's not a particular debate, sometimes I find it easier when a person replies to my comment in the same place, because then I am reminded straight away of what my comment said. Sometimes I get a comment on my diary in reply to a comment I made weeks ago, and I can't remember the context at all! ;D

I suppose you could make a footer that says 'Please come to my diary to reply, rather than replying here' or 'Please click 'converse' rather than 'reply' to continue this convo'. That would make your preferences quite clear - although people may still choose to disregard! It is a bit confusing having two options - like on FB, I never know whether to go to someone's wall to reply or to reply to their comment on my wall.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2010, 21:12
Jessica [Private]
Yeah, my problem isn't people replying in my diary though. It's them replying to my comments in their own diary.

And that's the beauty of converse, you can see whatever comment you left. It's the same thing with less hassle.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2010, 21:25
Estella
Yes, I wasn't saying they were replying in your diary - just suggesting that you could instruct them to do so, if that is your preference. Equally, they could announce that they always reply to comments on their own diary, if that is their preference.

I reply to comments on my diary sometimes, and I actually reply to people more than I would do if that was not an option - because sometimes it's just a small throw-away comment I have to make, that simply isn't worth a trip all the way over to someone's diary to say it out of context! And it might be a joke I want all readers to share.

I think some people like to keep the conversation all in one place. I have a friend who always replies to my comments on her diary (Aubrey, yo! ;D) and it doesn't bother me. It's just her way of doing things, and actually makes it easier to continue the convo, because it doesn't feel all scattered.

Out of curiosity, why don't you like it? Does it bother you to make the couple of extra clicks involved in seeing you've got a reply to a comment? And does it bother you with forum replies too, or have you disabled the 'message me when someone replies' option?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2010, 00:07
Jessica [Private]
I just like to be able to see all the comments I've received in one place.

And yes, I usually disable the forum messages as well.
Unless I'm really wanting to see the reply (for example, if I started the thread.)
0 likes [|reply]
11 Nov 2010, 20:54
American
I like the way the bloop messages are set up. They don't bother me at all. Email or regular bloop msg in my bloop inbox. Easy way of knowin someone responded. I don't think notifications are best, b/c u still get the same amount of "notifications" as u would messages and have to check each one still. If u mean like how fb does their notifications.. I hate it. I about stopped using fb b/c of them. I hate getting a notification just to check it and find out no one responded to MY comment and I'm wasting my time. I like bloop's the way it is! :)
0 likes [|reply]
11 Nov 2010, 21:56
Jessica [Private]
No I don't mean like how facebook does their notifications.

I'd prefer the replied comments to be on a page the same way regular comments are
0 likes [|reply]
12 Nov 2010, 02:59
an empty frame.
I prefer the 'reply' feature to the 'converse' feature whether people are replying in my diary or their's. I like being able to refer back to their comment and any other's made in the same entry. I have 44 unread messages in my bloop inbox lol that doesn't bother me. I never delete anything! :-P
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends