Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Tapes describe U.S. servicemen killing for sport
0 likes [|reply]
28 Sep 2010, 10:23
Chris
Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- Tapes obtained by CNN of interrogations of a group of U.S. servicemen charged with unprovoked killings of Afghan civilians describe gruesome scenes of cold-blooded murder.

"So we met this guy by his compound, so Gibbs walked him out, set him in place, was like standing here," says Cpl. Jeremy Morlock, detailing how, on patrol earlier this year and under the command of his sergeant, Calvin R. Gibbs, he and others took an Afghan man from his home and killed him.

"So, he was fully cooperating?" the military investigator asks on the tapes in a May 2010 interview.

"Yeah," Morlock responds.

Investigator: "Was he armed?"

Morlock: "No, not that we were aware of."

Investigator: "So, you pulled him out of his place?"

Morlock: "I don't think he was inside. He was by his little hut area ... and Gibbs sent in a couple of people."

Investigator: "Where did they stand him, next to a wall?"

Morlock: "Yeah, he was kinda next to a wall ... where Gibbs could get behind a wall when the grenade went off. And then he kind of placed me and [Spc. Adam] Winfield off over here so we had a clean line of sight for this guy and, you know, he pulled out one of his grenades, an American grenade, popped it, throws the grenade and tells me and Winfield, 'Alright, wax this guy. Kill this guy, kill this guy.'"

Investigator: "Did you see him present any weapons? Was he aggressive toward you at all?"

Morlock: "No, not at all. Nothing, he wasn't a threat."

Morlock is accused of killing three Afghan civilian men -- two by shooting -- between January and May of this year. The third was the killing he described above.

So I'm writing this thread for a particular reason. I wanted to prove a point to all the people who make sweeping generalizations about what "Muslims do," or what "_______ people," do. What would you do if you saw a forum thread on Bloop, created by someone living in Afghanistan, that said, "Look at these Americans. All they do is kill my people. Why don't we just take one of the nuclear bombs we have and make that entire country into a parking lot?"

Because I bet a bunch of you people are hypocrites. I know if I had just posted the article and nothing more, this thread would have been full of people talking about how this guy needs to be shot, or needs to rot in jail for the rest of his life, but some of you are the same people in previous threads who talk about how much they "disagree" with Islam because they're violent.

If you want to sit here and talk about how this one guy should be solely convicted, rather than pull a Tommy and call every single person in the military murderers, then you'd better be prepared to have the same attitude about the people you're calling an enemy.

That being said.

This guy should rot in jail for the rest of his life.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Sep 2010, 11:47
Music God CJ Plain
I absolutely AGREE that these guys should be rotting in a cell somewhere or even have the SAME thing done to them. I support the Military in what they do, but much like anything else, there is always going to those guys that just take the shit TOO far. In those instances, we HAVE to dish out the HARSHEST possible penalty.

Afghanistan is just a mess of a place for ANYONE to fight a war. Absolutely NOBODY wins in this situation.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Sep 2010, 17:40
starsmaycollide
Point made. It seriously sucks that someone like him was serving this country. Ugh. :(
0 likes [|reply]
28 Sep 2010, 17:13
~RedFraggle~
Thank you so much for posting this and making exactly this point. People are far too quick to associate all Muslims with terrorism, yet when a generalisation is made the other way around it's a different story.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Sep 2010, 23:27
Aspiring Boxer
I read an article about this at my parents' house (since they get the newspaper and I don't). The dad of one of the soldiers, I can't remember which one, made several calls to the military, saying that his son contacted him through Facebook and said that he was in trouble, that the guys were doing some bad stuff and that he couldn't say or they'd kill him. What I read in the article, these soldiers were getting innocent civilians, killing them and mutilating them, all on their commanding officer's order. And that guy (the one who contacted his dad), he was threatened with a bunch of mutilated fingers, was told that would be him if he snitched. So he stayed quiet and now is awaiting trial for murder. The dad is furious at the base because he made several calls to the base and none of them investigated.

I read the story in the News Tribune, maybe two weeks ago.

While I think everyone involved should be punished, I feel bad for this soldier, I can't imagine what would be going on in his head, if he was beaten and threatened, what would he do? What are his options? If his commanding officer was involved, who could he talk to without getting hurt? That commanding officer should get a lifetime sentence in prison.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Sep 2010, 17:08
American
I agree that this soldier should be punished but to try and turn the tables like you have is just silly. the difference is: it's in the Islamic holy book to kill infidels and we are infidels to them. So when a group of them, however small or big, act on it, there is no outcry against it from the Islamic religion, for the majority. I've never heard of an Islamic person speaking out publicly and consistently against any Islamic terrorist actions in which "infidels" were killed. The difference is, ALL Americans believe what happened in this situation is wrong and it is NOT written into any military codes or procedures to kill civilians so they are acting against our code of conduct whereas Islamic terrorists are acting within the parameters of their Koran. Atleast, that is my opinion on the matter.

That said, I can concede that some of them seem to be pretty peaceful. But it is also in their regime to pretend to be peaceful in order to take over from the inside. I shall see if I can find where I saw that, if need be.

To sum up: this soldier went against American procedure and values while Islamic terrorists are acting within the accepted parameters of the koran, their holy book. That is why I can safely assume that any muslim I meet has an order from their God to kill me - because it says so in their Koran. So I'm leery of them at first.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Sep 2010, 21:17
Chris
Has anyone ever told you that you're out of your mind? Having this discussion with you is just silly, because every time proof is asked of you, you quit responding all together. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time. Moving on.

Did you people are killed in the Bible too? Stoned to death? Did you know people aren't allowed to eat shellfish? Did you know that looking at another man and woman sexually is considered adultery, where the punishment is death? How about simply being anxious? Or arguing (kind of like what we're doing right now)? Astrology, another sin with a penalty of death? Not giving to the needy? Not taking in the homeless? Not visiting prison members? Not beating a disobedient child?

Don't sit here and pretend that there's nothing wrong with the religion you practice when there's just as much wrong with your own religious practices, which include death penalties as well.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Sep 2010, 23:23
Jessica [Private]
...What the fuck is wrong with you?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Sep 2010, 03:38
jessi bear(:
that's like using the westboro baptist church as the front men for Christianity. just because some of them are extreme doesn't mean that all of them are bad. how would you know there is no public out cry against it? you only hear what the media wants you to hear.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends