Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Koran Burning PART TWO.
0 likes [|reply]
12 Sep 2010, 21:31
KerriBlue
Yes, I felt the need to start a knew thread. My appologies to anyone who disagrees with my choice.

So far as I can determin, the US pastor who took the world by storm when he announced a Burn the Koran on 9/11 day didn't actually go through with the plan. If anyone hasn't seen the follow up story, I managed to find a little bit of information here: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/us-pastor-says-he-will-never-burn-quran/680650/

So basically, he wised up and decided it would be a bad idea to go ahead with that whole crazy plan.

Meanwhile, across the ocean, while everyone was discussing how Pastor Terry Jones was a few marbles short in his collection (I think I just made that marbles reference up), what was I saying, Oh while everyone was discussing that person, some other loser was comtemplating a "Scientific Experiement" and guess what;

It happened in AUSTRALIA!

Gosh darnit, just when I was ranting on about this crazy American burning the Qur'an, some idiot in my backyard (not literally) decided he didn't recieve enough love from his mommy (I made that up too) and wanted more attention (probably true) by burning holy books. YOU HEARD ME. Basically, some guy sitting in Australia fired up his webcam and filmed himself smoking, NOT ONLY the Qur'an but ALSO the bible. Ahh this guy just screams "Genius" to me.

The article is slightly long, so I'm only going to post the link here: http://www.news.com.au/national/lawyer-alex-stewart-smokes-pages-from-the-koran-and-bible-and-says-we-should-get-over-book-burning/story-e6frfkvr-1225919970728

I guess he does make a fairly questionable point, he states "It's just a f---ing book. Who cares? It's your beliefs that matter. Quite frankly, if you are going to get upset about a book, you're taking life way too seriously." and I feel he's right, I mean it is your beliefs which are the crucial point, it's what you believe that matters, a book is just a symbol of that belief but it is not at the heart of the belief entirely. I mean - lets just pretend in some crazy world, all books were thrown on the fire, does that mean your belief is no longer warranted? Does that mean because that small token of your belief is gone that suddenly your beliefs go out the door?

Lets get personal on the topic for a second, What are my beliefs?, well I'd like to call myself a spiritual person, but basically I believe that.......OH thats right....BOOKS SHOULD BE BURNT :|

So a number of questions arise for bloopers to debate;

Does the burning of a religious symbol have any impact on your beliefs?
Do you agree or disagree with Mr Stewart, in regard to his point about people getting upset and taking things too seriously? (I paraphrase)
I want to know does the burning of BOTH books by and atheist make it any better or worse than what the Pastor in the US was intending on doing on 9/11?
What are your views on book burning/censorship? (I know this was mention in the previous thread?
On the news this morning, it was mentioned that people are demaning Mr Steward be fired from his job (He's a lawyer) do you agree/disagree?

I'm out of questions.
0 likes [|reply]
12 Sep 2010, 21:34
KerriBlue
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I should check before I hit "post"

I meant to say that my belief is - Books SHOULD NOT be burnt. I think that was possible the worst typo to have - ever.

Epic Fail.
0 likes [|reply]
12 Sep 2010, 21:42
Lovin'MyLittles
Burning of religious symbolism has no significant impact on me, personally. My beliefs exist outside of the books anyways, and even if they burned a bible.. it's not like they burned every single one of them. I do believe that it's disrespectful to do it purely for the reason the Pastor was doing it. I think it shows ignorance and I think it creates hatred and misunderstanding.

I do agree that people are too upset and taking things too seriously.. but like my Husband says, when it comes to religion.. sometimes it is THAT serious for people. It's hard to argue with people when it's their Faith and they TRULY believe in it.

I think he proved his point but I still think it was pointless.

I don't think he should be fired. :)
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 14:20
lithium layouts.
I get his point, but at the same time he is disproving himself. He's saying that it's not the book that matters - the paper and ink, the cardboard and plastic - but the beliefs that go with it. Sure, fine, burn all the books you want. But the minute there is holiness and belief attached to those books, it becomes a whole new story. And I DO think it's wrong to do that with that sort of intent (as he did by burning the Qur'an and the Bible). Some people would get upset at seeing that sort of thing in his video, and that's exactly what he's arguing against, but it is my belief that they would have every right to be upset. They would perceive it as a sign of disrespect.
0 likes [|reply]
12 Sep 2010, 23:18
Acid Fairy
I'm bored of this story now. Harry Potter books have been burned, and I find them far more important than a religious text. They got kids into reading! Burning great literature is sacrilege. Burning some moral guidebook of life; meh. There's worse things you could do!
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 07:28
Dreamer ♥
*likes*
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 08:40
Dreamer ♥
Also, just so people aren't confused.com, I didn't mean, I like burning of the books, I was liking Acid Fairy's comments! Didn't realize it would come out this far on and make it look a bit funny!
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 00:51
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
What a peon...
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 02:35
Winged Centaur
Outside of my personal beliefs for the moment, religious texts are often considered "holy" and therefore very, very bad to burn them. They're considered not just books, thus why it is considered a very serious matter.

I personally don't believe anything touched by man can be holy, so therefore the Bible (i.e. it has been written and edited by man) is not holy, so the burning of it does not offend my beliefs. The reason the stupid preacher wanted to burn the Qurans offends me, cause it gave a bad name to Americans.

I was the one who mentioned burning books as a form of censorship. In our modern day, you can't burn them all anymore, but the idea remains. Censorship = bad.

If the burning was done on the man's own time, then it should not affect his professional life. I mean, I probably wouldn't want him to represent me, so that part of his professional life will suffer, but it shouldn't be a reason to fire him. I'm assuming he works for a firm. IF this fiasco hurts their overall business, then yeah, it would probably be okay to fire him.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 05:05
& skull.
i totally agree with his statement "It's just a f---ing book. Who cares? It's your beliefs that matter. Quite frankly, if you are going to get upset about a book, you're taking life way too seriously." because it's true. people are over sensitive idiots. i don't think the crazy pastor was ever going to do it. he just wanted attention. he pissed people off and is now going to be able to babble on about why he doesn't want a specific church near a site that was bombed nine years ago.

the fact that this lawyer burnt BOTH and therefore pissed off two different religions is clever, because it's not like the muslims can accuse christians of being bat shit insensitive assholes or vice versa. a religious book is just a book. he's right. your faith matters. who cares if he burnt them? he was proving a valid point. i think he's awesome. but i think anyone that can stand up to crazy retards with logic is awesome, whether those idiots get the message [unlikely] or not.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 07:31
Emily the Strange
I don't really see the point in burning books. Just because you hate something doesn't mean everyone else will because you've created a s'mores party out of it.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Sep 2010, 09:13
& skull.
haha i saw the vid, he SMOKES them. that just makes this even funnier.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends