Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Stoning.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Jul 2010, 17:57
Acid Fairy
I don't know how many people are aware of this, as I don't think it has been publicised enough.

But basically, a woman called Sakine Mohammadi Ashtiani is due to be stoned to death in Iran for adultery.

Stoning is one of the most barbaric practices out. It shocks me that such things still go on in 2010.

From here.
'An International Movement to Save Sakine Mohammadi Ashtiani From Death By Stoning in Iran Has Been Launched

She reportedly confessed to the crime of adultery after suffering 99 lashes and now, Sakine Mohammadi Ashtiani, a mother of two living in Iran, could be buried up to her chest and stoned to death.

Mina Ahadi, head of the International Committee Against Stoning and the Death Penalty, says that only an international movement to raise awareness can save the woman now as her sentence has already been handed down.

She was convicted of adultery in 2006 in the northern city of Tabriz, and although she confessed after being whipped, her lawyer told CNN that she then retracted that confession and denied any adulterous act. The ruling was upheld in 2007 by Iran's supreme court.

Amnesty International has now become involved, placing a call to the Iranian government to halt the execution.

"The organization is also urging the authorities to review and repeal death penalty laws, to disclose full details of all death sentences and executions and to join the growing international trend towards abolition,"
Source: cnn.com

Washington has condemned the ruling, and although she has been in prison for a number of years now, her case is gaining more international attention and those fighting on her behalf hope that means she will soon be released from prison and set free of all charges.

On July 1, Stop Stoning Now released a letter saying that the verdict against Sakine Mohammadi Ashtiani should be discarded, and that stoning is a 'savage and merciless form of execution'.

We strongly condemn the Islamic Republic for its barbaric implementation of stoning, execution and torture and its enforcement of Qesas laws. We call upon all international institutions as well as the United Nation and the European Union to strongly condemn the Islamic Republic and demand that Sakine Mohammadi Ashtiani’s stoning verdict be overturned, as well as the verdicts of all others condemned to stoning and execution.
Source: stopstonningnow.com

They also call for Iran's leaders to be prosecuted and punished in an international court for allowing tens of thousands of people to be stoned to death and executed. '

I doubt a Facebook group will make any difference, but there is one here. Please join it to help spread the message.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Jul 2010, 18:05
Jessica [Private]
So like, they basically tortured her until she "confessed" to adultery? What the hell is that, really?

What a terrible thing to do to that woman, and then to sentence her to be stoned to death, even though she has children? Even if she did cheat on her husband, that should be between them, and them alone. It's no one else's job to decide if she should be punished or not.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Jul 2010, 18:07
Chris
@Jessica: Yep, tortured her until she confessed to a crime that comes with a penalty of death. A bunch of fucking cavemen.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Jul 2010, 18:10
Jessica [Private]
@Eskimo: I say we go stone them to death.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Jul 2010, 18:06
Chris
A bunch of cavemen following primitive laws in a primitive culture.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 17:34
American
That's Iran for you. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is there...apparently. Why should we have anything to do with it? If that's the law there (I don't know that it is, but they went to court with this there), then what are we supposed to do about it? That's the culture there.

I'm amazed she lasted the whole 99 lashes before she "confessed." Kudos to her.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 17:52
Acid Fairy
I don't think you can call that 'culture'. It's downright fucking barbaric and nobody should have to suffer through such torment.

We don't know the full details, but my guess she was in an arranged marriage. Who can really blame her for committing 'adultery' if that is the case?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 18:53
American
@Acid Fairy: Certainly not any culture we would want to live in. But, still, it is the culture there. One definition of culture is the stage or form of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period. Arranged marriages, stoning - both are part of the culture in that part of the world (from what little I do know about it). Even the cutting off of hands for being a thief is a punishment there.

Just because it's barbaric doesn't mean it isn't the culture (definition: without civilizing influences; uncivilized; primitive). Primitive is still a culture.

Again, not that I agree or think it's right or okay - but it is the culture there.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 19:31
Acid Fairy
I think what I meant is that such practices shouldn't be excused by saying it is because of their 'culture'. Not that I am saying that you are, but I have read some horrible comments on this story on the Daily Mail website, along the lines of 'Oh well she shouldn't have broken the law should she?' Fucking douches.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 21:07
American
@Acid Fairy: I agree, they shouldn't be excused. As a free American who believes in the purpose of defending and perpetuating the liberty I am supposed to have in my own country, I think we should voice our disagreements (very vocally). If anything should be done internationally to help her? It sounds good, but I don't know enough about foreign policy and relations to know if it would be necessary or even fruitful. I would like to see the rest of the world under the same type of government that our Constitution creates (not the gov't we've had for the last 40-50 years, maybe more, though)..but where do we draw the line between international colonies of one country (as Britain of old) and separate countries who just have the same core set of laws and values? I would like to see every country to have their own Consitution as we have it, in some form. But again - where do we draw the line? It's tough to know. Do we just ignore the world and let them be, or do we go out there and try to "fix" them? I guess I went off on a tangent (that may not have even made much sense, I was rambling so much), but eh. There it is.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 21:10
Acid Fairy
I guess that is where the UN and associations like Amnesty International come in. I know AI are trying to do something about it. We need a global Human Rights Bill in my opinion, so such things aren't allowed to happen.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 21:41
American
@Acid Fairy: Sounds good - but I don't think it would work. Who, then, would enforce it? We quite obviously can't trust each country to do so. Those countries currently doing as they do would just keep doing as they do and their "enforcement" would look the other way. Who would pay for it? Seeing how a lot of economies around the world are tanking or starting to tank (US included) - who has the money to enforce such a wordlwide thing?

Not to mention it's one step closer to a global government and I'm unabashedly, fervently against that.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 20:58
Jessica [Private]
@iWRITE: So just out of curiosity - if there were a country that still allowed slavery, would you still be saying "That's the culture there" and "Why should we have anything to do with it"?
0 likes [|reply]
7 Jul 2010, 21:16
American
@ Jessica: Possibly, it depends on who I'm replying to. What I mean is, if someone had said "Let's go over there and make them stop!" Then, yes, I probably would have. But to someone who says "Well, I'm fine with it, screw em. They're over there and I'm over here, why do I care?" I would say something quite different.

Now to get to the meat of the matter, so to speak.

If there were still a country out there still practicing slavery (I think allowing is a bit too general - to allow and to practice are separate issues, in my opinion) I would wholeheartedly disagree with it. I would detest their treatment of whoever (whomever?) they are enslaving. I would be disgusted by the people's blindness to it and their lack of courage to stand up against it. But, I pose this question: what would you HAVE me do about it? Say about it? Would you like me to convince my congress and president (if it were possible) to make war to free her? Would you ask my country and it's people to go to war for that reason?

If so, would you then cry corruption for "barging in" on other countries as most seem to do with any recent war the US has fought (not sure corruption is the right word, but you should get the point)?

0 likes [|reply]
8 Jul 2010, 13:53
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
It's sad that many cultures are still observing many barbaric and out of date practices. It is very hard to bring people like that into the modern world because they've lived so long the same way for centuries. Never changing. I hope that they can help that woman.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends