Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1  2 
iPod touch syncing problems
0 likes [|reply]
25 Jun 2010, 21:53
Aubrey;
I have an 8GB iPod touch, I think 2nd gen.
Two days ago I downloaded the most recent iPod software update, and I think it's screwed up my iPod.
The iPod no longer "syncs" with my car. Before, I would plug it in using the iPod plug and be able to listen to my music through my car radio. Now, it will read "USB connecting..." and then, after about a minute or two, it will stop saying that, and it will not play. The iPod still charges when it's plugged into the car, and it syncs fine with the computer.
Does this sound like a problem with the software? Is there a way to uninstall the software myself?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 05:01
Jessica [Private]
I don't know about that...but if you have a place to plug it into your radio - you can get a cord that you plug into your headphone jack on your iPod and then into the radio.

That's what I use. They sell them for maybe $10 at Wal-Mart. I just use one of the cords that connects my speakers to my computer lol. Same thing, and I have like 10 of them laying around.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 05:02
Jessica [Private]
Oh, and you don't have to plug it into your lighter/power thing on your car at all. Just uses the iPod battery.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 09:32
Aubrey;
@Jessica -- The only thing I'm worried about, though, is that I think the lack of connectivity is a software problem, and I'm not sure that using a different cord is going to make a difference. I'll try it, since you said they're only about ten bucks.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 00:03
Jessica [Private]
Have you tried resetting it at all? I don't know if you can do that with the touches. But with my 2nd Gen nano I could reset it and it fixed almost everything.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 00:08
Aubrey;
@Jessica -- I did do the "restore" option after I realized it didn't work, but it didn't help.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 00:08
Jessica [Private]
Like restore through the computer? No no no. That's not what I mean lol.

On mine I could reset it by holding the center button and the menu button. Entirely different concept (for mine at least, lol.)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 00:15
Aubrey;
@ Jessica -- I've only got three buttons on my iPod -- the "main menu" button down at the bottom, with the square in it, the top button that turns it "off" and the volume.
I don't think there's a reset option through the iPod that I have.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 02:30
Jessica [Private]
@aubrey;

Hmm... Well then I have no idea, sorry!
My iPod expertise is back in the stone age lol
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jun 2010, 11:58
& skull.
i've heard other people have problems with this upgrade. and i don't think i've ever met anyone who's ipod and car ever get along lol.

i have an old car, so i have a tape deck lol. i have a tape with a wire that has a head phone jack, so i plug the jack where the headphones would normally plug in. never have issues using that thankfully.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jun 2010, 13:37
Aubrey;
It's kind of frustrating because I hate listening to commercials on the radio, and I gave all my CDs away once I got the iPod.
I suppose I'll just try to find an apple store around here and see if they can fix it. It's really annoying, since that's half the reason I bought it.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jun 2010, 10:25
& skull.
yeah i hate radio. totally got my ipod for that reason.

my parents can't ever get their's to work in their cars. i think that's more a compatibility issue though.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 17:47
Aubrey;
@ & skull -- My car is a 2009, and there's actually instructions in the driver's manual for how to connect an iPod to it. I don't know if Chevy had a deal with Apple or what, but up 'til now it worked quite well!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 08:09
& skull.
Aubrey;

my parents are 2009's too, but when they connect their ipods it will only play one album, seemingly randomly, from the ipod if you use the ipod cable and you can't scroll through the ipod itself. it's like you've just stuck a cd in. i use a double head phone jack cable instead and it works for them, and you can use the ipod to select playlists etc. i read through the instructions the car has, which aren't really helpful lol. i dunno why they bothered having that feature if it doesn't work correctly.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 09:31
Aubrey;
@Skull -- Mine did that to begin with as well, and what I discovered was that if I turned on the iPod first and selected the song I wanted to start with (in whichever playlist) and then plug it in like that, it would work. Don't know if that's an option though.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 09:47
& skull.
Aubrey;

yeah i tried that, didn't seem to like it. they have iphones now so they've stopped bugging me about their cars lol.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 02:12
- misseriin*
Do you have an FM transmitter?
I had a Classic and it worked with my transmitter in my car. Thats really weird that it doesn't work
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 02:22
Aubrey;
@misseriin -- I don't know what an FM transmitter is?
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 21:07
- misseriin*
it plugs into your lighter spot (or power outlet thing) and picks an unused radio frequency to stream your music on
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 21:18
Aubrey;
@ misseriin -- Oh, I haven't heard of that. Is that something you can buy at Best Buy or such? And it plugs into the iPod?
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 23:43
- misseriin*
yes! I got mine at Walmart.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2010, 00:55
Aubrey;
@misseriin -- Sweet, thanks. I hope that'll fix the problem.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2010, 17:55
Aubrey;
I looked online and it appears that I'll have to like "hack" into my iPod to change it. I don't know if I like that.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 04:17
Doc
You could always downgrade the firmware back to the older version that worked correctly... I assume it was 3.1.2? And that you are now in 3.1.3?

Google "how to downgrade ipod touch 2g" and you will find a TON of sites. It is easy to do.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 11:06
Aubrey;
@ Hannibal -- That's what I was wondering, whether that was possible or not. I'll go check that out.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends