Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
The Circumcision Sequal: Genital Mutilations
0 likes [|reply]
27 May 2010, 23:28
KerriBlue
Yep; found it on my homepage this morning, thought it made an interesting follow up to the circumcision post.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/1060055/doctors-considering-mutilating-baby-girls

Australian doctors may soon perform genital mutilations on baby girls in a bid to curb a dangerous rise in backyard surgeries, according to a report.

The Royal Australian New Zealand College of Obstetricians is considering allowing doctors to carry out "ritual nicks" on baby girls whose families may otherwise turn to illegal operations, the Daily Telegraph reports.

The practice, though illegal, is widespread among African, Asian and Middle Eastern communities.

Doctors are reportedly seeing increasing cases of girls who require surgery after botched operations, which are often performed in domestic situations with razors or pieces of glass.

RANZCOG spokeswoman Gino Pecoraro told the newspaper that any decision would require widespread consultation.

"If a nick could meet the cultural needs of a particular woman, then it might save her from going through what can really be drastic surgery," she said.

"But we need to make sure we do not legitimise the ritualistic maiming of children."

------

Ok the whole article made me shift uncomfortably, but the thought of a botched attempt made me squirm even more.
0 likes [|reply]
27 May 2010, 23:35
KerriBlue
http://www.news.com.au/national/push-to-let-australian-doctors-mutilate-genitals-of-baby-girls/story-e6frfkvr-1225872274181

Apparently ALL my news sources are publishing this story.
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 02:03
Lovin'MyLittles
Oh gosh that's awful stuff right there. Especially the most severe type - where they almost completely sew everything up and then have it "re opened" for sexual intercourse and or birth. Sounds awful.

And uh, the breast ironing thing.. sounds fabulous. Just.. lovely. Might start doing it tomorrow. @@ lol
0 likes [|reply]
27 May 2010, 23:53
Ashley Winter
As in... circumcising girls? WTF? I've heard about that and watched a documentary on tv. That's disgusting and horrible, and makes me squirm at the thought. How... Why would people do that?
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 00:14
KerriBlue
I know I'm a uni student and as a result I'm banned from using wikipedia as a reference - but I'm technically on holiday as of today, so we'll allow it for today :)

Apparently there's a specific reason why it's called "mutilation". The World Health organisation wanted to adopt the terminology so that there was a clear distinction between "circumcision" and "mutilation"

Oh wow, apparently it MAY increase HIV in women - didn't know that *keeps researching*. OK wikipedia wasn't helping (did you know there is such thing as "breast ironing") anyway, I continued my research elsewhere.

Apparently it's a CULTURAL thing NOT a RELIGIOUS thing (uhh ok?) and a girl cannot be considered a woman (adult) until she has undergone the procedure and in most cases she won't be allowed to marry (ok, I think the Jewish theory on male circumcision is the same - you can't be considered a man with out the snip).

Ah okay got some more points. 1. It lowers female sex drive, thus lessening their desire to have sex outside of the marriage. 2. Haha apparently certain girly bits are consider to be "too male" and need to be removed. 3.If you haven't had it done, you're considered dirty and you can't handle food etc. 4. BAHAHA some believe if the clitoris touches a mans penis, the man will die and if a baby is born and it touches the head - the baby will die too. 5. Umm ok apparently without the procedure, women are infertile? 6. Clitoris + Snip = No odor! 7. Prevents vaginal cancer (REALLY???!!!) 8. It prevents nervousness, there's two points on that but apparently with the snip, girls aren't like to have any sexual arosal and therefore their nervousness will be decreased? and finally 9. Older men may not be able to match their younger wives sex drives, and like I said - with the mutilation - womens sex drives are lower, so they won't cheat and apparently older men can keep up with them.

Some of the many reasons why it is done. Although I want to go research this more, just because I do want to know why it's being done. I don't agree with it though. And what the hell is breast ironing *goes to read that too*
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 00:18
Ashley Winter
It's so ironic haha, before I commented on this post I was googling it. It seems horrible and all of those points suck. I can't imagine not having any sexual arousal, LOL. And I was looking up breast ironing too!! That's... just, plain... wrong. Weird. uhg.
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 00:19
jessi bear(:
okay, so, i know this is off the original topic.. but breast ironing!? wtf is that!? haha.
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 00:23
KerriBlue
Hahah it's okay I'm researching that now too

Okay straight from wikipedia - apparently its a practise to descrease the chances of rape and assault. Girls who grow breasts are considered to be ready for sex and therefore - they are free for men to take and marry. Families to it to prevent rape and therefore unwanted pregnancy thus tarnishing the family name OR to prevent early marriages so that the girls can further their education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_ironing
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 00:24
jessi bear(:
ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch! it hurts when the little guy i babysit puts his elbow into my boob to sit up. i can't imagine have them flattened with hot objects!
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 02:07
Tommy Decentralized
You should read "Saharasia" by James DeMeo
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 02:27
Acid Fairy
Some cultures need education OH so desperately.
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 02:25
Acid Fairy
I read a similar article a few weeks back on The Guardian site, about FGM in the US: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/11/female-genital-mutilation-us-nicking
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 03:47
ťOliviaŤ
This made me squirm....and cringe...and...omg ow! :(
0 likes [|reply]
28 May 2010, 19:04
Finally Mrs. Bailey
Hence why I said in the last circ thread that female circ is sick. Maybe it's a double standard because I don't have a problem with it being done to boys, but I still think it's sick. And the breast ironing....ouchhhhhh. I couldn't imagine doing that ever.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends