Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Newborn dies in dog attack...
0 likes [|reply]
14 Apr 2010, 23:36
KerriBlue
Source: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/newborn-dies-after-dog-attack/story-e6frfku0-1225853892510

What the hell?!!!! Ok, I am surprised to hear the mother was 16, but I'm more concerned about the fact that a 7 DAY old baby has died in this attack. That is so terribly sad and....unbelievable! Personally I'm scared of pitbulls and rottweilers. So, (if when I do have a baby) I wouldn't have a dog, any dog, sleeping in the same room as the child. I'm not going to say anything bad about Rotties and pitbulls. I'm sure if I were raised with one, I'd feel differently about them. I was raised around german shepherds - which are apparently equally as dangerous - yet I don't have a problem with them. In this case, if it were in Australia, the dog would have been put down by now - I actually think in Queensland (or parts of?) pittbulls aren't allowed (correct me if I'm wrong Queenslanders).

But back to the story - SEVEN...DAYS...OLD. Jeez. It's just so upsetting.

Story;
A SEVEN-DAY-OLD infant died today after a dog attack in Florida.
Emergency crews responded to a call just after noon local time about an incident involving baby Thomas James Carter, Jr and a brindle-type pit bull in New Port Richey, north of Tampa, Florida.

Baby Thomas had more than 50 puncture wounds, deputies in Pasco County said.

He was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead.

The baby and his mother were sleeping in the same room as the dog. A neighbour knocked on the door around noon local time, and detectives said that was when the mother realised the child had been mauled.

Police are testing the mother, 16-year-old Nicole Koezeno, to see if she was under the influence of any kind of drugs.

Detectives said after the dog attacked the infant, then escaped the home and attacked another dog down the street.

The dog is now in the custody of animal control.

Investigators said it had no history of being vicious anywhere else.

0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:54
Jessbabyblue
all dogs can have bad tempermants and such things but it DEPENDS TRULY ON THE OWNERS AND UPRAISING!!!! I have worked with German Shepherds and have seen them with families and they watch over kids. I have also seen Pit Bulls with families and left alone with kids while parents or people watching are in the other room. EVERYTHING is HOW THE DOG IS TRAINED POINT BLANK!!!!! If the dog was there with a new born baby my guess is the dog was there before the baby was born and not bringing the baby in correctly to a home with a dog can end up fatal if RIGHT PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. I have watched an epsiode of Dog Whisperer and people had problems with mixed breed dogs I believe and they had to know that the people and baby are the leaders and not them and that is all there is to how you make sure the dogs know who is the boss in a home as well in that general way.
It is a very sad situation losing a child to a dog like that but unless the dog was mauling the baby I would hope the person would hear that or the dog may have been using the baby as a chew toy type thing which I certainly hope is not the case at all. Any instance something was not done right in this case at all which is sad for the new born baby and the family of him too!
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 02:01
*Forever Changing*
My pitbull was the best dog ever. She got hit by a car because our neighbor left the gate open, and we didnt know it. She came home with a broken leg. As I was on the phone with the vet trying to get information on what to do my daughter, who was a year old accidently fell on top of my poor puppies broken leg. You know what my baby did? She whined and licked Chloe's face. Of course I freaked out and got Chloe up, but that dog, in that moment restored all my faith in animals. She knew my daughter didnt mean to hurt her. My dog was put down because Denver decided to kill all pits. :(
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 20:22
brooke !
i'm so sorry about your dog :[ i hate that people get such a, i dunno the word, such a... disgust against a certain breed of dogs because of how just SOME of them are. we had a pit bull when i was younger, and she was the sweetest dog ever.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 09:56
Dreamer ♥
That is terrible! We were bought up with an alsation and a Lab. The Alsation was mega protective towards my sister, didn't find me a threat but didn't like my brother! He tried to apprach her and she would get angry and growl. Never went for him but was so gentle and caring with my little sister that it was bizzare! She treated her like she was her pup lol! It was hard to seperate the two!
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 12:10
*~Loving You~*
Wow this is very sad

Why r u surprised she was 16? A lot of teens are having babies now

And for rot and pitbulls - any dogs r mean depending on the owner I know this loveable HUGE rot
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 10:39
KerriBlue
I don't really want to get into that because it's a whole different issue and I worry that people will misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I do think there are some fantastic teen mothers out there. I've met some great teen mothers here on bloop and I have only the best respect for them. UNFORTUNATELY - where I went to high school - the teen mother rate is very high - and....they aren't the sort of teen mothers I want to be respecting (an exampled of this - I saw one 15 year old with a bottle of alcohol in one hand and the baby in the other arm...head lolling about, mother was trashed - no one seemed to care). Everytime I hear "teen mother" - because of where i grew up - I unfortunately can't help but have those mental images that I've seen so much of. But I in no way mean to slag off ALL teen mothers. Like i said - i do have a respect for a lot of them...its just i cant help but imagine those other cases.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 13:24
DivaAshley
Any dog that was not raised with kids has the potential to hurt them. The dog should not have been in the room with the baby if it was only 7 days old. Especially if it was never around kids, or not around kids much. WHen my daughter was born, one of our dogs just never liked having a child in the house, so he had to go. He was a wonderful dog with US, but was older and had never been around children. It's not just about raising the dogs and training them, some dogs (not some breeds, some dogs) are simply more aggressive, and some dogs are just not good with children.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 21:54
Lovin'MyLittles
This is truly a tragedy for that family. What a loss.

I have a 2 year old German Shepard. He's EXTREMELY over protective of his family, but he has never attempted to bite or hurt anyone else or any other animal. I too did not know that German Shepards are considered aggressive dogs. He's the best dog I have ever had.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 00:09
HorrorVixen XO
omg poor baby. i hope the mom wasnt on anything.

i honestly think it depends how the pits & rotties are raised. our german shepard was soo protective of my daughter. my daughter would put princess(the g.s) in a headlock and princess would lick hailey to death!! but we had to get rid of her b.c our asshole neighbor!!
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 00:13
.::erin::.
I heard the the whole country of Australia did not allow pit bulls at all. Like - you can't bring them in from other countries.
This is awful.
Sometimes dogs - of any kind - get really jealous of newborns and they don't understand... meh
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 09:07
& skull.
we have pit bulls. that isn't true. there was a story recently of a pit bull mauling a grandmother.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 14:21
well I know that there are pit bulls in the country, but they are technically illegal and people can get fined for having them.
I don't have a problem with pit bulls. All terriers have super strong jaws and if they don't want to let go of something, they won't!
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 06:45
& skull.
it depends on the state, ie: in the northern territory there are now restrictions. certain breeds aren't allowed in in most states, and the ones that are have to be neutered. if they aren't you can be fined. american pit bulls can't come in, but staffordshire bull terriors are. though in that story i mentioned the dog that mauled the grandma was a staffordshire bull terrior, so they'll probably want to add that to the list now.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 19:48
lol yeah a lot of people here don't know the difference between the staffordshire and they're automatically restricted against in apartments, grooming places, even homeowners associations in neighborhoods will try and legally get pitbulls banned.
i personally feel like they should punish the owners because it's just a species - any species of dog will react negatively if it's treated like crap.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Apr 2010, 09:20
& skull.
i totally agree. some people just shouldn't own dogs. SOME dogs will snap no matter how well you train them, but that can happen to any breed. my family had a labrador that was trained, walked, had around other dogs and kids, but he would just snap at dogs and want to fight no matter what we did, which was unfortunate, but we didn't want to keep a dangerous dog because it's irresponsible.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2010, 01:42
oh no! yeah especially the little ones - they feel like they need to protect everything. having a smaller dog would drive me up the wall. i've never seen a small dog not yap at everything!

i have a doberman/cattle dog mix who is super skittish at everything! but since she's a mix of those two breeds, certain places wouldn't let us move in.
i also think a lot of people don't know how to properly train their dogs. they get smacked in the face too often and then they think "oh gee, violence is a way to control others and get what i want".....
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 00:29
.love.struck.
I would never let my dog or cat around my child without me around. All dogs can attack, media doesn't ever talk about Golden Retrievers, labs, chihuahuas, Cocker Spaniels, ect to name a few that are known to be bitters. Media focus it on dogs that are known to be "mean." I personally find little dogs, especially Chihuahuas mean.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Apr 2010, 01:51
HorrorVixen XO
yes, chihuahuas are mean!! my husbands' grandma's one is a mean lil bitch. she was so nice before but idk what happen. she always growls at the grandkids.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 10:44
KerriBlue
I got attacked by a Cairn terrier when i was 16 (for all those who don't know what a Cairn terrier is..imagine Toto from the wizard of oz) I was wearing jeans at the time...that dog bit me..HARD...on my leg. The owner (my then boyfriends mother..who was a nurse) said not to worry about it. There were no puncture marks in my jeans either. But when i got home, i took off my jeans and there were serious bite marks, blood all over my leg and jeans.

Long story short - little dogs can bite!

(and yes..as much as it hurt...i find it funny to say i got attacked by a toto dog)
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 20:42
.love.struck.
See, any dog can bite. It doesn't surprise me when I hear about little dogs biting. I wish the media would cover those stories as well as the "mean and aggressive" dogs as they only talk about. It gives Pitt Bulls a bad rap. My dad has a Pitt and she is the sweetest thing. She loves children, but we don't let her wonder off alone. We watch her around other dogs and children. All dogs bite. That's how they communicate, if they would yell at you I'm sure they would. Dog bites are all the same, size has nothing to do with the aftermath of them.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 20:48
KerriBlue
I agree with everything except that last last. Not all dog bites are the same. I'm happier I got bitten by a toto dog compared to....anything else. I'd pick the jaws of a toto dog over a german shepherd anyday.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 20:48
KerriBlue
(not that I'd willing choose to be bitten by a dog)
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 20:56
.love.struck.
I haven't met a single friendly German Shepherd yet. I got bit by one on my finger when I worked in the ER clinic for animals. When we had to treat them, they were not readable so we had to muzzle them because they would snap out of the blue. I'm not saying all German Shepherds are mean, but it does make sense why they are good police dogs.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Apr 2010, 21:02
KerriBlue
Like I said, I was raised around them; they were very good family dogs for me. When I was brought home from the hospital as a baby; there were two german shepherds already established in the family. They took on their new roles quite comfortably.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends