Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Gaming
Page:  1  2 
PS3 versus X-Box 360
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 04:31
Winged Centaur
Hey guys, I am planning on buying my fiance either a PS3 or an X-Box 360, but I'm not familiar with either system, so I'm not sure which is better. This is what I've HEARD on each one, but I'd like your imput.

PS3:
I've heard that is does and does not play PS2 and PS1 games. Can anyone confirm or deny whether it plays games for older PS systems?
Blu-Ray, of course
Has games that X-Box 360 doesn't
Certain games are better on PS3 (like FFXIII)
Internet free

X-Box 360:
Red circle of death
Internet cost 60-80 bucks a year

What do you like and dislike about both systems?
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 04:33
*Forever Changing*
Xbox owns. I have both.

Xbox also has exclusive games.
I have never had a red ring problem
its 50 bucks a month for a year for internet, BUT WORTH IT, PS3 allows hackers, because they dont moniter their systems, unlike Xbox. I
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 04:34
*Forever Changing*
uhm it should say I [heart] my 360, my ps3 is just a blu-ray player.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 04:49
Chris
PS3:
-Free Internet
-Blurays
-More powerful machine

360:
-More user friendly
-Much bigger selection of games
-Backwards compatible (able to play Xbox games)

Also:
"Has games that Xbox 360 doesn't"

The 360 has games the 360 doesn't as well, but it's almost as if the two systems are targeting a different demographic. The 360 is more the FPS/3rd person adventure type system, and the PS3 is more the RPG/fighter type system. In the end, it all really depends on what games you like, and which systems they're on.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 05:16
Aiure
My PS3 plays PS2 and PS1 games (I still have tons!). But it's an older 60gig. I've heard many rumours that the newest style isn't backwards compatible, but I highly doubt it. It wouldn't make any sense for Sony to do such a thing, since I'm pretty sure they're still releasing PS2 games.

The 360 can only handle HD up to 720, whereas the PS3 can does the full 1080, which translates into absolutely beautiful gameplay (and movies, a la BluRay). The 360's also a slightly older system, so I'm not surprised it's not quite as advanced.

Almost everyone I know that has had a 360 has experienced the red ring of death. I've only heard of two instances among my friends of PS3s dying (mine is one of them - it overheated after leaving it on for a week straight - and the other had a similar issue.)

Most guys are in love with shooters. Both the PS3 and 360 have tons of them. The 360 has slightly easier controls for shooters, but again, the PS3 makes any game look damn good. Online play on the PS3 may be free, but it's generally not as busy as the 360, and its connections tend to be slower. RPGs, on the other hand, are better on the PS3, hands down.

Depends on what he likes to play, and whether he plays online enough to make paying for it worth it.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 05:37
*Forever Changing*
Uhm, my Husbands 360 does 1080P, which is like the best HD you can get.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 05:43
Aiure
Maybe I was just thinking of FFXIII. lol
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 05:47
*Forever Changing*
Maybe, but the new ones dont even play PS2 games, why? Because they want to capitalize on the market, people still own ps2's so they can sell to both ps3 and ps2 customers, and serious gamers like my husband will feel the need to own the game on the PS3, so he can play it on that system, so then they sell twice as many games.

I used to LOVE Playstation, but since the PS3, I am not a fan. Just my opinion :)
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 06:06
Aiure
If that's the case, I'm losing respect for Sony. My boyfriend and I have invested a lot of money into rare games in the past, for the very reason that the PS3 has been backwards compatible, and we can no longer play them on newer PS3s? I certainly hope that's not the way things will be when they release their next system.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 06:16
*Forever Changing*
The only one that is ALMOST fully backwards compatible is the 60 GB, the others one are very very partial, and the new ones do not do it at all.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 16:36
Madeline Rain
You mean 1080i? As far as I know, there's no 1080p in 360
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 16:49
*Forever Changing*
You can go into your settings and adjust it, you have to have components or HDMI. Its on 1080i right now lol, I just checked to make sure I wasnt making myself look like an ass.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Apr 2010, 12:50
lithium layouts.
Xbox, I would say. Much more versatile.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 05:02
jodi
personally - i vote 360. it's 50 dollars for a whole year of xbox gold and you get so much stuff! netflix, last.fm, facebook, not to mention the games. i love it and how customizable it is. i've never had a ps3 but i enjoy the 360 so much better that i have any PS in the past. me rikey. we did get the red ring of death once but we sent it in because we had a warranty and they sent us a new one fo free. !
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 05:26
Winged Centaur
I've been reading up on both models. I figured out why I got conflicting answers to the backwards compatibility. Only the original first releases of PS3 have backwards compatibility. Newer models (which is what I would be buying) have NO backwards compatibility whatsoever.

RROD doesn't seem to be as big a problem with newer models.

Blu-Ray ability means nothing to us. We don't have a HD tv, and we don't own Blu-Ray movies.

Currently, we are still leaning towards the X-Box 360.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 12:00
Music God CJ Plain
We just bought an Xbox 360 a couple months ago. We love it. We practically LIVE on Nextflix and have yet NOT to find a ton of games we love every time we go to the store. We play movies on it as well and the the quality is amazing. Also, as for the RROD...There's 3 MAJOR things you can do to avoid that.

1) make sure the Xbox is laying FLAT and NOT standing on it's side.
2) NEVER, EVER, EVER lay it on the floor or carpeting.
3) don't EVER move the system while it's on.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 12:04
Chris
Then the Xbox is the way to go. If you're planning to go online with it, it's got streaming movies and a much, MUCH bigger selection of downloadable games that you can play online. The PS3 is more of a personal machine, one that you would intend to spend much more time on.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 12:36
Khoquetishღ
this is a really good article about the pros and cons on both systems:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/which-is-better-ps3-or-xbox-360.html

...but if you want my personal opinion, I had the worst experience with the 360, got frustrated with the RROD and chucked it out of my car window on the interstate. ;D I did everything I could to avoid RROD especially because it cost about $300 so of course I'm going to be careful with my expensive electronics. I played a game my hubby bought me for about 20 - 25 minutes when the thing over heated. I tried getting it fixed, got it refurbished or whatever and the same thing kept happening. Idk, I'm more of a quality, not quantity type person so I'll pick the PS3 over the 360 any day. Better graphics, better quality, better system all around. There might not be as many games for it as there are for the 360, but at least it almost feels like I'm in the game and a lot of their games look life like.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 12:38
Khoquetishღ
oh and your might have to pay more for the PS3, but it has wifi built into it unlike the 360 so you won't have to worry about buying those dumb point thingies just to use it.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 14:32
HorrorVixen XO
plain and simple... we have 2 "red eyed" xb0x 36o's!!! aka the piece of shit is broken!!!! my husband is not allowed to buy that gaming system!! we have a wii and we love it.. i'm up for getting a PS3!!
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 16:04
GamerGeek
Any 360 you buy brand new is likely to be the latest chipset revision called Jasper. You are far less likely to get the so-called Red Ring of Death with these models. I think the chance is around 4%. They're quieter and produce less heat also.
Not only that, but in the event you actually got the RRoD, Microsoft will fix it for free for three years past purchase date. With a PS3 you only get coverage for one year and if you get what they call the Yellow Light of Death you have to pay over $100 (I think it might be $150, not sure) to get it fixed by Sony.

The only thing I dislike about Xbox 360 is having to pay to play online but you can find a 12-month subscription online for $40 so it's a minor issue anyway. It doesn't have wireless but you can just use a long ethernet cable (you can find 60ft ones online for less than $10) which I greatly prefer anyway, being faster than wireless, which is preferable for online play.

As for games, it really depends on tastes, as said before. Take a look into what is available for each system and make your choice from that.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 16:08
Transit
We have a PS3 and an Xbox 360

Why I think the PS3 is better
-free internet
-internet is faster on our PS3 than the Xbox
-blu-ray player
-general better picture guality
-faster internet means things like iPlayer work better
-handset charge lasts longer

Downside
-you can't play PS3 games
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 17:26
Winged Centaur
We plan to go into a local gaming store and try them both out. Cause even knowing the pros and cons, it really depends on which ne "feel" better to play. :P

Dave has played the 360 and likes it, but we haven't played PS3. We'll see after a test run of each.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 17:53
.Amber.
XBox 360.

The biggest thing for me is exactly like someone else said earlier.. the internet may be free on the PS3 - but you get what you pay for (or don't pay for, in that sense) the ability to be hacked into much easier.

People seem to talk about the PS3 a lot less than they talk about the XBox 360, too. It's almost like .. sure, it was really cool at first, but now the WOW! factor is gone, lol.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Mar 2010, 20:07
Madeline Rain
I personally love my PS3 so much that when it came to buying another DVD/Bluray player I just got another PS3.

I have to admit, though. I'm not really a gamer. Aside from Rock Band/Guitar Hero type of games, I don't have the attention spam to focus on a game for too long. However, I use my PS3 for pretty much everything: Games, internet, Netflix streaming and DVD/Bluray watching. Like the commercial says, It only does everything.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends