Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
Hard drive question
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 07:50
Tam I Am
So my computer pops up this lovely message informing me that I have 6.29 GB of free space left on my hard drive. Other than installing a second hard drive, which I don't know is possible on a laptop, or deleting most of my files, or getting an external hard drive what are my other options?

I probably already know the answer to this question but humor me. lol.

For the record I'm thinking option 3 is the best one for me.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 08:08
*Forever Changing*
Is your hard drive partitioned? Split up? My is in two different "pieces" so I just move my files from one area to the other.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 08:10
Oprah Noodlemantra
It honestly depends on what's taking up all your memory. If it's programs, you might want to consider an external drive. If it's documents and photos, transfer all the photos to a site like photobucket, save them to a flash drive, and delete them, and save the documents to a flash drive as well.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 08:16
Tam I Am
Yeah, it's mostly pictures and music. Lol. My sister's computer got stolen so I've got nearly all of her daughter's baby pictures on my computer for her.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 08:24
Oprah Noodlemantra
I'd save the pics on both a disc and a flash drive, and either give them both to her, or give one and keep one, and also save them to photobucket, just in case. Then delete them from your computer, and you'll probably free up a lot of space.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 10:32
Poetic Justice
My boyfriend has a ridiculous amount of music and movies. We ended up getting a 1TB external, and he keeps it all on there, but it's constantly connected so he can access it whenever he'd like without it sucking up space on the computer its self. He also has a smaller external that he mounted (velcro) to the back of his laptop, if you're just not up to carrying it with you everywhere.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 14:48
Lovin'MyLittles
My Hubby (who's a computer guy) said that you've basically already listed your options. I mean, there are other options like the flash drive or putting them onto a cd or floppy or whatever but I think you'd probably be better off getting an external
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2010, 10:59
& skull.
i have an external hard drive for all the videos i have. a friend of mine gave me all the dr who episodes ever made and that's about 200gb i don't have to spare on my computer lol.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Feb 2010, 08:07
Jessica [Private]
I'd say an external.
I've never really needed one, as I have like a 75gb (I know, teeny xD) hard drive, and I don't even have 5gb worth of space taken up.

But my dad's got tons of movies and music. He's got a couple different externals (One for movies, pictures, etc.), and totally swears by them.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends