Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Suggestion Box
Page:  1  2 
Friends Page
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 18:37
Chris
I was thinking that this might undermine the entire purpose of "who's viewed it," but I was thinking Bloop could possibly lift an idea from Live Journal and create a "friends page."

Just a page of the last 5 or 10 updates from friends/faves one one single page with your own set layout or visualization.

Thoughts?
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 19:51
Meghans Follie
explain please.. I dont have LJ so I am not sure what you are refering to in order to give an opinion
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 20:15
love♥nik
Essentially what it is: say you have a 100 faves and ALL hundred of those faves updated... which means if you wanted to read them all, you'd have to click on each 1 (so a 100 clicks min.) to be updated on all your faves. A "friends page" takes the most recent entry and does it in a scroll fashion so that you see it right away; no clicking involved. If you wanna leave a comment, you do. Otherwise you just keep scrolling past. Example; that's my friend page and it's how I keep updated w/ my friends and comms (you'll have to hit the confirm thing saying you're over 14 since I have an "adult concepts" lock on mine xD).
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 20:57
Meghans Follie
thank you! I was terribly lost!
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 21:36
love♥nik
No problem! :D It' s a bit confusing if you don't know what's going on w/ it. ^____^
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 06:34
Jessica [Private]
yeah I use LJ and I totally didn't even get that xD
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 20:12
love♥nik
So much easier to view ppl's most recent entries. It's 1 of the best things about lj.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jan 2010, 04:35
lithium layouts.
Seems like an interesting idea. Could even modify the current favourites page to include little snippets of the entry that they updated with. Sorta like the TOTW or RC pages.

Although, how would it undermine 'who's viewed it'? Because you'd be 'viewing' multiple entries at once? Man, I don't know if Bloop coding could handle it. xD
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 20:57
Meghans Follie
ahh I think that would be an excellent idea
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2010, 21:47
Aubrey;
I'm going to add my agreement to this! It's a great idea!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jan 2010, 13:39
& skull.
eh, i don't really like that feature, only because some people that update all the time bury my friends that don't update as much.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jan 2010, 20:12
love♥nik

xD

I hope your flist on lj is bigger b/c I've already updated way too much this month I feel. XD On lj I mean. xD
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 02:15
& skull.
i don't even use the friends list feature any more. i have everyone i read tracked. that way if someone updates it goes to my inbox so i don't have to spend ages trawling through community updates to get to a friend's update.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 02:22
love♥nik
Ahh, I just use the filters I've set up (since I have paid, might as well use it somehow). Plus there's none of the "OMFG YOU DARED TO VIEW MY ENTRY AND NOT COMMENT YOU FUCKER!!!!" drama b/c of the flist. xD Plus I have the excuse of "oh, sorry, I didn't see it; my comms updated so much that day/week that it got buried." XD
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 14:57
Estella
I don't know if a friends page reduces drama in itself. Well, of course, Bloop just attracts drama, but even with a friends page, you can get some people moaning that some of their friends never comment them - especially if they observe the same friends commenting others.

I'm not sure that a friends page would work with Bloop though - I mean, the friends page on LJ is essentially the same layout as your own LJ. You see your own journal as ten entries at a time too. Bloop's coding must surely be completely different. Unless it does what diary land has done and gives you a choice to make your diary a blog or a diary. But I think that is a lot of extra hassle. Bloop is different from LJ - it's an online diary site rather than a blog site. It's famous for its quaintness, so why make it like other sites?
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 15:04
love♥nik
Very true. I've always been so surprised.... hm, no, that's not the right word, I guess amazed @ how drama follows you on bloop. I mean, if you write an FO or exclusive entry about someone venting/ranting about them, it still somehow gets back to them. All the drama I've seen on lj is @ a community and if gets to the point where I'm really frustrated, I can vent on my lj w/o any worry about it getting back to the person I'm talking about, thus bringing it to my lj. But I guess that's just b/c bloop is so small. Eh.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 17:03
Estella
Well, it also depends who your set of friends on LJ are and if they know each other. I've seen people post stuff about someone, in a filtered post, asking for strict confidentiality, and it still gets back to the person. But it's all more contained, and there aren't huge tantrums about it. The person just tends to write 'I know that such-and-such wrote about me', and, well, that's it. I think here on Bloop there is a sort of culture of drama - drama is at some level aspired to and admired, no matter how much a person says they want to avoid it! But on LJ (at least among people I know there) it's more looked down on - like, genuinely, rather than fake 'OMG I hate dramaz!!!' type stuff that you get here.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 17:05
love♥nik
Haha yes I agree. I've been lucky in that my flist over there is a wide range of ppl and i think only a handful are friends w/ each other and also me. But then again, I think I've seen personal drama on personal lj's like once and that was brought on by this recent Haiti thing. It's much quieter over there, which is nice. Until I go onto an ontd that's particularly snarky and then the fun begins. XD
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 17:47
Chris
Well I figured the way the journals are set up on Bloop, the fact that you can de-visualize means there probably is a way to have entries set up in a certain visualization. Would it be too much of a stretch to set them up with your own visualization rather than theirs? I mean, I know it kind of takes away from the customization of your own diary if no one would ever see your customization anyway, but just for the sake of the argument, do you really think it's *that* different?
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 17:59
Estella
I don't suppose the visualisation thing would be an issue (although I don't know, not being a computer coder). I was thinking more in terms of having several entries on one page rather than each entry having its own page. To me that seems like it would be a completely different sort of coding (but again, I'm not a techie, so I may be wrong).
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jan 2010, 21:16
Sugar.
I agree with Ev. I like it the way it is. The way this site is set up is why I like bloop over other journaling sites and it's initially why I got a diary on here.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jan 2010, 21:31
kid at heart.
I like the layout of LJ, but I also think that Bloop should stay the way it is. Why change what works?
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jan 2010, 22:47
Chris
I wasn't talking about changing the way the site works. With that logic, this site should never get any kind of updates because it works. Just a feature idea.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 00:35
kid at heart.
I wasn't using 'works' in the technical sense, just as an expression.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2010, 01:31
Chris
I knew how you meant it, and my statement still applies.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends