Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Army says 12 dead, 31 injured at Fort Hood, TX
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2009, 23:12
DivaAshley

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and msnbc.com

A U.S. soldier opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing at least 11 people and wounding 31 others, military officials said. The gunman was shot to death, and two others were in custody.

Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, who confirmed the shootings, said the gunman used two handguns. NBC News’ Pete Williams reported that a U.S. official identified the gunman as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan, who was 39 or 40.

Military and local hospital official said the victims were a mixture of men and women, military and civilian. At least one of those killed was a civilian police officer, Cone said. At least four local SWAT officers were among those wounded, NBC affiliate KCEN-TV of Waco reported.

Fort Hood, one of the largest military complexes in the world, was on lockdown, as were schools in the area. Dozens of agents of the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives responded to the post, federal officials said.

Speaking in Washington, President Barack Obama called the shootings a “horrific incident.”

“It’s difficult enough when we lose these great Americans in battles overseas,” Obama said at the Interior Department. “It’s horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil.”

Shootings in deployment processing center
Emergency Services officials at Fort Hood said the incident began about 1:30 p.m. CT (2:30 ET) when the gunman opened fire in the Soldiers Readiness Processing Center on the west side of the base. A spokesman for the base, Sgt. Major Jamie Posten, said the processing center was where soldiers “cycle through as they prepare to deploy.”

Retired Army Col. Greg Schannep, an aide to Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, who was on the post to attend a graduation service, told the base newspaper, The Fort Hood Sentinel, that he heard “three or four volleys of shots, with eight to 12 shots in each volley.”

“Initially, I thought it was a training exercise,” he said. But then, “a soldier came running past me and said, ‘Sir, there is someone shooting.’

“As he ran past me, I saw blood on his back,” Schannep told the base paper. “I don’t think he even knew he had been shot.”

Fort Hood is adjacent to Killeen, about 60 miles northeast of Austin. The sprawling complex is home to at least 4,929 active-duty officers and 45,414 enlisted. Civilian employees total nearly 9,000.

A spokesman for the Army, Lt. Col. Lee M. Packnett, said he was unaware whether security measures were put in place at other military bases. A spokesman at Fort Lewis, Wash., said the incident was being treated as isolated.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, said in a statement: “I am shocked and saddened by today’s outburst of violence at Fort Hood that has cost seven of our brave service members their lives and has gravely injured others. My heart goes out to their loved ones.”

Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s campaign spokesperson said the governor was in Denton, scheduled to attend a campaign event, when word of the shooting occurred. There was no word on whether he had left Denton or whether he was headed to Fort Hood.

A senior Obama administration official told NBC News that the shootings could have been a criminal matter rather than a terrorism-related attack and that there was no intelligence to suggest a plot against Fort Hood.

Still waiting to hear if all of my friends, soldier volunteers at our school, and the parents of our students are ok... it's a terrible, terrible tragedy. Please pray for the families of those who were killed or wounded... a sad day here. Very sad.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2009, 23:59
Makayla
This is terrible. It makes you wonder what kind of screening process they have for someone to get into the military. You would think you could spot a very mentally disturbed person like that. But then again, you never know.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2009, 01:48
Lauren.
He could've been extremely sane and something happened to trigger madness like that in him, ya know? You just never know with something like this. It's entirely scary and disturbing that someone who is supposed to PROTECT us, KILLED some of us and injured more. It's awful :(.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2009, 03:26
Makayla
I just read on another news article that the shooter was a psychiatrist! How ironic is that? He was about to be deployed overseas. I will definately be keeping the victim & their family & friends in my prayers tonight.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Nov 2009, 03:38
jessi bear(:
i read that too! i was appalled. he's supposed to know how to FIX people with mental issues like he has.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2009, 23:44
[accepting.change]
Very sad.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Nov 2009, 23:58
Miss
:( some family friends of ours from when we were in the army are stationed there now. we were so relieved that they're okay
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2009, 04:40
TheLazyNinja
Shooter is not dead, he is alive and stable, not that its a good thing

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fort_hood_shooting
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2009, 14:00
Chris
Well at least we can figure out the motive.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2009, 14:13
DivaAshley
I was shocked when I read that this morning... but, maybe he'll suffer the rest of his life, which is what he deserves. I know that's not a Christian thing to say, or think, but in this case, I cannot help it. This man deserves to live, and suffer for what he has done. Death is too easy.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Nov 2009, 13:55
Meghans Follie
if you are in the central texas area and want to help out - there is a very real and urgent need for Universal "O" and all other blood types.

Operation Hero Miles is asking for frequent flier mile donations as that is what is used to fly in the primary and secondary point of contact/ next of kin.

As always you can contact SOS (survivor outreach services) at http://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2009/03/06/

And TAPS (tragedy assist program for survivors) at www.TAPS.org

to find out what other way you can help out.

Other then that just pray for those that are about to be welcomed into the Gold Star Families.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2009, 19:39
queenbutterfly
Death toll has rising to 13. I'm keeping the wounded and the family members of the deceased and wounded in my prayers!
0 likes [|reply]
7 Nov 2009, 21:33
DivaAshley
Yes, I posted an updated thread. 4 of the soldiers killed were from our school's volunteer unit... eleven of the wounded frim our unit... its shocking, and so terribly sad.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends