Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Fla. man says Home Depot fired him over God butt
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 03:48
Moonlight Shadows
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – A former cashier for The Home Depot who has been wearing a "One nation under God" button on his work apron for more than a year has been fired, he says because of the religious reference. The company claims that expressing such personal beliefs is simply not allowed.
"I've worn it for well over a year and I support my country and God," Trevor Keezor said Tuesday. "I was just doing what I think every American should do, just love my country."
The American flag button Keezer wore in the Florida store since March 2008 says "One nation under God, indivisible."
Earlier this month, he began bringing a Bible to read during his lunch break at the store in the rural town of Okeechobee, about 140 miles north of Miami. That's when he says The Home Depot management told him he would have to remove the button.
Keezer refused, and he was fired on Oct. 23, he said.
"It feels kind of like a punishment, like I was punished for just loving my country," Keezer said.
A Home Depot spokesman said Keezer was fired because he violated the company's dress code.
"This associate chose to wear a button that expressed his religious beliefs. The issue is not whether or not we agree with the message on the button," Craig Fishel said. "That's not our place to say, which is exactly why we have a blanket policy, which is long-standing and well-communicated to our associates, that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons."
Fishel said Keezer was offered a company-approved pin that said, "United We Stand," but he declined.
Keezer's lawyer, Kara Skorupa, said she planned to sue the Atlanta-based company.
"There are federal and state laws that protect against religious discrimination," Skorupa said. "It's not like he was out in the aisles preaching to people."
Keezer said he was working at the store to earn money for college, and wore the button to support his country and his 27-year-old brother, who is in the National Guard and is set to report in December for a second tour of duty in Iraq.
Skorupa noted the slogan on Keezer's pin is straight from the Pledge of Allegiance.
"These mottos and sayings that involve God, that's part of our country and historical fabric," Skorupa said. "In God we trust is on our money."
Michael Masinter, a civil rights and employment law professor at NOVA Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, said any lawsuit over religious discrimination might be a tough one to win.
"Because it's a private business, not one that's owned and operated by the government, it doesn't have to operate under the free speech provisions of the First Amendment," Masinter said.
"But we're not talking about religious displays here," he said. "This sounds more like a political message ... Wearing a button of that sort would not easily be described as a traditional form of religious expression like wearing a cross or wearing a yarmulke."
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 03:59
xanderthebuttmonkey
I have no problem with this. It's a private business and they have every right to enforce whatever dress code they see fit. When he's at work, he has to abide by that dress code, as well as any other rules set forth by the employer, or he can choose to work elsewhere.

0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 05:13
lithium layouts.
I agree. And the same goes for schools. I went to a Catholic school, and we weren't even allowed to wear necklaces with the crucifix on them. Uniform enforcement was very strict!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 09:16
.Blue Bella.
My school had a rule that no necklaces were to be worn. They then allowed UNSEEN religious/cultural necklaces. They had to be on a chain long enough to go under the shirt. Oohhhhh the arguments I would get into wearing a Maori greenstone. LOL!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 12:22
KerriBlue
See I understand companies and schools that have dress codes, I'm a strong believer in sticking to uniforms especially if there's a policy in place.
(If time machines are invented, don't tell my 16 year old self I just said that, I went to an Anglican school *short term*, they said no piercings and yet I insisted on testing that rule...multiple times!)

But with this story why wasn't it an issue a year ago? If it's a long standing policy, shouldn't it have been mentioned to this guy earlier? Although I'm wondering whether he was warned about it previously? Oh IDK. If there's a policy and your aware of that policy...then do the right thing. If there's a policy and you don't know about it and your not warned about it, then you'd expect someone to let you know.

Sorry Genes, I hit reply to you but only because the whole necklaces at school reminded me of my piercing/high school drama. Ahh good times. Such the little hardcore rebel I was.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 17:50
DivaAshley
This isn't a religious quote, though... it's straight from the pledge of allegiance. Ridiculous. I could understand if he had some kind of Christian T-Shirt, or button... but it's THE PLEDGE TO OUR FLAG... come on!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 14:46
Makayla
The qoute was straight from the Pledge of Allegiance. So if people are so easily disturbed by it then they either need to A) do something about it to get the words of our country's pledge changed or B) go live in a country that wasn't built under God. They may not believe in God, but they can not disagree with the fact that the people who built our nation built it under the values of Christianity. You can't change that.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 04:05
Mishy
Actually, the words "under god" were added to the pledge of allegiance in the 1950s. (the mid 1950s at that)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 13:53
Makayla
I've never heard of that, but I will look into it. Even though that might be true, it still doesn't change that this country was built under Christian values. It's just history, you can't change that.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 14:39
Transit
This is the original one, under god was added in 1954
I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 14:50
Makayla
I see it's true. I learned something new today. =)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 14:54
Transit
I always think it says one nation invisible :)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 14:56
Makayla
When I was in elementary school every morning we would stand up & do the pledge & I would always say "invisible" instead of indivisible! ;D Up until about 5th or 6th grade, that's what I thought it was as well.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 18:32
Mishy
What is it that you mean by "built" under christian values?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Oct 2009, 19:05
Makayla
The founding fathers of our country were Christian.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Oct 2009, 00:04
Moonlight Shadows
Actually... this is a common misconception. They were all Theists
0 likes [|reply]
31 Oct 2009, 02:03
Makayla
I was taught in US History in 11th grade that the pioneers were protestants.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Oct 2009, 02:09
Makayla
My apologies I meant puritans instead of protestants. My brain is still fried from work. :P
0 likes [|reply]
31 Oct 2009, 02:46
Moonlight Shadows
haha - i wish i was fried from work (i am currently unemployed *sigh*)

anyway, some of them were protestants actually, and some were lutheran, etc.. however there were quite a few who were strictly theists and rejected any kind of organized religion; specifically thomas jefferson and ben franklin
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 16:01
Miss
whatever happened to freedom of religion? and how is it a political message, it's a quote form the freaking pledge of allegiance.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Nov 2009, 01:45
Jenna bean....
I use to be a cashier at home depot. They give out these patches to wear for each year you have worked there, and I use to wear my dads. Hes been with home depot for like, 17 years. I use to wear his 15 year patch and they made me take it off. It was gay. They pick and choose their battles when its most convient(sp) for them. Its retarded. But Ive noticed thats how alot of managers are no matter where you work. Im not a believer, but I wouldnt have been the slightest bit offended if I saw that button on a co worker of mine. To each their own. A co worker I worked with brought in his bible. Was he fired? no. I dont see a problem with bring in a bible. If they want to sit and read a bible, effing let them! Like I said before, I am not a believer. But noone should tell a person what they can or cannot read. Yes, there are 2 sides to a story. My question is, was he sitting there and reading to himself or was he preaching to co workers and customers??? Id be offended if he came to me and was preaching, but not sitting quietly and reading. I would even sit at the same table as him or a girl who was reading the bible. People get their damn panties too much in a wad now a days.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 03:49
Moonlight Shadows
this guy wasn't preaching, he was minding his own freaking business. WTF?
And I love the fact that their excuse is that they're a private business so therefore don't have to care about the 1st amendment.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Oct 2009, 16:27
xanderthebuttmonkey
it's a valid excuse, the 1st ammendment, and the whole bill of rights for that matter, protect the people from the government only.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 03:51
.like.a.drug.
When I first glanced at the forums, I thought this said, "Fla. man says Home Depot fired him over God's butt".

It makes more sense now.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Oct 2009, 03:52
Moonlight Shadows
HAHA i didn't see that
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends