[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Political Debate
Page:  1 
Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 11:44
Chris
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html

President Barack Obama made history again Friday, winning the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The Norwegian Nobel Committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems, including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 22:20
Doc
I thought the award was given to those that, and I quote, "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." I do not follow politics that much so maybe he has done work and great things I just do not know about. I thought it was given for work done, not work hoping to be done. Maybe someone can show me and educate this non-political noob that I am? heh. I am not putting the man down, I just want to learn and understand it all. Maybe I should have payed more attention in my political science classes in school. lol

Congratulations to him anyway, even if I don't understand how or why he got it. *shrugs*
0 likes [|reply]
10 Oct 2009, 14:10
lithium layouts.
Why do I get the feeling that this'll make (small factions of) people want to assassinate him even more? D:
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 15:22
Mom♥X's 3
Go Obama!
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 15:27
~RedFraggle~
Good for him. He's not had it easy, but he's ignored the critics and gotten on with trying to make the world a better place.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 17:05
kein mitleid
What nonsense. He hasn't done anything other than flap his lips.

Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize is a farce, it mocks previous winners that actually made an impact on the world.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 17:07
Chris
I actually agree with you here, just not as strongly as you do.

The Nobel committee is a joke. Obama himself was pretty much baffled when he found out this morning.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 17:09
kein mitleid
Maybe next year I'll win the prize, since I've done as much, if not more for peace.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Oct 2009, 00:32
RealLifeComics
Agree
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 22:26
Moonlight Shadows
a friend said it best "He won because he's not GW"
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 22:34
Doc
Haha... good enough for me. :D
0 likes [|reply]
9 Oct 2009, 23:43
kein mitleid
So then shouldn't everyone in the world that isn't Bush have won?

Seriously, next year, the NPP is just going to be awarded to Spongebob for his efforts in showing children that it's okay to wear square pants.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Oct 2009, 00:00
Moonlight Shadows
lol.. no dear :-p Obama shouldn't have won this award. I agree with you.
0 likes [|reply]
12 Oct 2009, 11:44
Chris
If I saw a child wearing legit square pants, I think it would be about time to dust off the old "punting" shoes.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Oct 2009, 02:05
Ashley Winter
I think it's cool that he won :)
0 likes [|reply]
10 Oct 2009, 14:53
Aubrey;
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks it doesn't make sense that he won, despite not actually doing anything.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Oct 2009, 18:12
Miss
good for him and all.. but i don't understand why he won. maybe he has a bunch of plans to do stuff, but so far he hasn't really done anything to deserve it. compared to past winners, that is
0 likes [|reply]
13 Oct 2009, 12:16
Giggle
Shouldn't they have waited a little longer until he actually did what he says he's gonna do? =P
0 likes [|reply]
13 Oct 2009, 18:31
theseeker
Here are my thoughts on the subject -- and while I truly can understand both sides of the argument, I believe this is an honor for our country -- and I am proud.

First of all, I don't understand why some people are as upset as they are. If they are upset because they think someone deserved it more, then I can understand that. But if they are just mad because it is Obama -- I don't understand. He is already the president. This award does NOT give him more powers as a president, as we have laws that outline what he can and cannot do. It can only help relations between us and other world leaders.

Second of all, as far as what he has/hasn't accomplished -- he was only NOMINATED early on, the decision was made later on. I know Obama has a lot of work ahead of him. However, the Nobel Peace Prize was given to South African Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu in 1984 for his leadership and efforts to get rid of the apartheid. It wasn't until 1994 that they were more eradicated. The committee could have waited until he had "accomplished" his goals as a leader and given him an "Atta Boy". Instead they decided to look at the hope he presented, to bring attention to his efforts, and help spur what they believe he represented for the world. I think in this case it is "a call to action" as Obama said, as well as trying to spur on the ideals and unity Obama represents. If winning this award could help Obama's administration accomplish more as far as peace goes both on the home front and on the world stage, then I am all for it. I think the committee is very aware that Obama might fail, and may not accomplish anything. However, they are choosing to be part of the motivation for peace. I think they are recognizing the potential Obama holds, and hoping he meets his fullest potential. I am cautiously hopeful..

I also think it is good for both our country and the world, to improve people outside of the U.S.'s opinions of Americans and American politics. We have wasted a lot of good will. I hope Obama can rebuild that.

I feel like I am reliving the Kanye-Swift fiasco, only on a much larger scale with this debate.

Can't we as Americans find something to that more than half of the country can be happy and proud about?
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends