Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Police Find 150 Dead Dogs In Mich. Man's Freezer
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 17:57
Mama2One
Police Find 150 Dead Dogs In Mich. Man's Freezer

DEARBORN, Mich.

Police on Friday found about 150 dead dogs packed in freezers in the basement of a Michigan house littered with feces and trash where more than 110 live dogs, mostly Chihuahuas, were rescued this week.

Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said the 56-year-old man found Wednesday in the suburban Detroit home with the animals may have been living with an increasing number of dogs for up to three or four years.

"The house was in complete disarray, very cluttered and, with 100-plus dogs running around in there, very filthy," he said.

A criminal investigation was under way at the two-story brick home, Haddad said. He said the case could be forwarded to prosecutors for possible animal-cruelty charges.

Haddad said 112 live dogs had been removed from the home as of Friday, and police believe about five more may be hiding inside. He declined to release details about the breed of the dead dogs.

The man living in the house was taken to a local hospital for observation, and a lawyer acting as family spokesman said he was getting a psychiatric evaluation. Investigators previously said the man apparently was hoarding the dogs.

Neighbors in the past had complained of an odor at the Dearborn home, which had a neatly cut lawn and manicured bushes. But this week was the first time officials got inside, and crews needed masks to breathe.

Trash was piled from floor to ceiling in places, and feces and urine was throughout the home. Forty-two ailing and feces-covered dogs were rescued Wednesday. Crews returned Thursday and found more than 60 dogs, and about 10 more live dogs were found Friday, police said.

The smell, noticeable from the street Thursday and Friday, may have been contained previously because windows were closed and covered.

The rescued dogs were taken to the Dearborn Animal Shelter, where residents brought dog food donations and filled out pet adoption applications.

One local resident dropped off four 20-pound bags of dog food at the shelter.

"It's not much. It's only four bags, but it will feed them today," said Margaret Metas, 81.

(© 2009 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

link
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 22:43
*~Loving You~*
...sick...
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 23:25
Jessica [Private]
Wooow.

Poor things :(
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 23:49
Lady Elphaba
This is so horrible and disgusting!!!!!
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 18:22
Estella
GOSH. THAT MUST HAVE BEEN A HUGE FREEZER. I DON'T THINK EVEN ONE DOG WOULD FIT INTO MINE, YO - WELL, MAYBE A TINY CHIHUAHUA WOULD FIT IN THE TOP SHELF.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 12:17
queenbutterfly
haha only you puck only you...;-D
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 19:19
Tracie
Wow it's sick that some people actually do that.

I hope all of the living pets find good homes and are taken care of and that none of them die due to conditions they were found in.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 22:36
disgusting
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 23:31
crazybeautiful;
this disgusts me :(
0 likes [|reply]
26 Jul 2009, 23:52
Lily-my one and only
as disgusting and horriable it is, i feel bad for the man too. usually there are a lot of underlying mental health issues when someone hoards animals like that. i bet that man has a lot of suffering
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 00:31
something amazing.
Very true. It probably wasn't a malicious thing. If dogs aren't fixed, they multiply and he probably got overwhelmed, but didn't want to get rid of the dogs. It's pretty sad. Hopefully the dogs are somewhat socialized and can be adopted out.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 06:23
& skull.
the guy obviously has some issues. so it's pretty terrible all round. it's just unfortunate he happened to be hoarding other living creatures and not just junk.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 15:07
Emily the Strange
So...his freezer....Did anyone think to check is oven? Was this guy nomming on dogs, or what?
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 15:20
Transit
Maybe they were for the local chinese take away, our local one was not only caught serving dogs and cats but also seagulls, yummy stuff!
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 15:21
Emily the Strange
Now here's the question....was the food good?
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 15:22
Transit
I've never eaten there! Not being able to afford takeaways turned out to be a good thing!
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 15:23
Emily the Strange
haha I've always been curious about that! You hear all the time stories about people "unknowingly" eating chinese food that had cat and dog and whatever else, and I always wondered if they were like, "Damn....you know, it's a shame they closed because that dog lo mein was pretty kick-ass."
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 22:17
-Mal-
Only you hun *facepalm*
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 15:17
Kelly
I pretty much live next door to this guy. I can see his house from my bedroom window. It's sick.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jul 2009, 23:30
Mamas☮Memoirs
omg. gross. i am taking care of 9 boxer puppies...and its so hard and such a handful to try and keep my house clean, poop free and smelling nice all day. i cant imagine 100+ dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends