Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Bloop Drama
opinon = drama?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 15:43
*~Loving You~*
Please excuse any of my typo errors I'm using my cell phone 2 type this

Just curious if some 1 ask for an opinon example my earlier thread about tannin it became drama or people r defensive and end up insulting each other or making one or another mad even tho its all online I don't let it affect me because I see its pointless 2 have internet drama (or any drama it just hard work lol)

Why do u think opinon questions or threads becomes drama? If u start it why?? "Freedom of speech" there's no right or wrong answers for opinon right?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 20:56
Lady Elphaba
Unfortunately, there are some ignorant people in the world that are unable to see beyond their own bubble. So, if someone disagrees with them, SHOCK HORROR!, they get all defensive and argumentative -they refuse to see another's point of view. It's rather sad, isn't it? Everyone are entitled to an opinion. Others should be open to different opinions -they don't have to necessarily agree but they shouldn't bash someone for actually using their own free will!! Yep.. This has been said many times *poof*
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 20:57
Lady Elphaba
* but others shouldn't bash them for actually using their own free will!!

Need sleep.. *snore*
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 21:20
.Blue Bella.
I think it needs to be understood though that just because some people argue with your opinion, doesn't mean that EVERY person argue with your opinion.

It could be said that you have started this topic here, just to create drama. I don't know that for sure? Only you do. I don't think that you did, but it could be assumed.

If this question has come about because I disagreed with your statement in the "How young is too young" thread where you made a blind statement based on assumption which essentially called anyone who'd had sex under the age of 18 a slut who'd been misguided by a boy, then it confirms that you lack the maturity to accept a persons opinion differing to yours. And yes, whilst it's your opinion and I respect your right to an opinion, I feel that as it would imply that I for instance, was a slut, I have every right to disagree with it!

And sometimes, there can be right and wrong answers for opinion. I guess it depends if you think your opinion is right. I mean I could sit here and argue that in my opinion the sky is yellow with green polka dots. Doesn't mean I'm right.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 22:00
*~Loving You~*
Lol naww I just wanted 2 see why people get so defensive and it was based off of a tanning thread "for those girls or guys likes 2" (I got cut off)

0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 22:09
~RedFraggle~
I have no problem with others having different opinions to mine. I have many many friends on here and in real life with different opinions to mine on a range of topics. And it's good to discuss our different points of view and learn from each other, and look at something from a different perspective every now and again.

I do however have BIG problems with people who give out incorrect medical information on the internet (as was happening in your previous thread), or who direct people towards websites with misleading medical information and with people who ENCOURAGE someone else to do something which could seriously harm their health. That sort of thing really concerns me, and so on medically related forum threads I can sometimes get a little more worked up than I should.

However, SOME people on here just don't like it if someone else shows them to be wrong, or lacking in evidence to back up their argument. Those people lack an ability to actually debate an issue. And some of them just can't let it go! They hold a grudge and launch a full blown attack on the person for weeks and weeks. Not very mature. But once someone calls me a bitch in a public forum, I'm done discussing anything with them. Some people need to learn to grow up.

But yeah, opinions are absolutely OK. Innaccurate medical information and dangerous medical advice is NOT (in my opinion anyway!).
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 07:28
The Ryan
Yes, yo! And then the losers confuse actual medical facts as being 'opinions' which they can shun. I love it!
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:47
Estella
YES, YO - THEREIN LIES THE CONFUSION. IF YOU PUT FORWARD EVIDENCE FROM A WHOLE BODY OF RESEARCH, AND SOMEONE SAYS 'OH, LIKE, THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION, AND I THINK YOU'RE WRONG, WHICH IS MY OPINION, AND MY OPINION IS JUST AS VALID', THEN THAT PERSON LOOKS A BIT DAFT, YO!

LIKE, SURE, RESEARCH CAN BE REFUTED, BUT, WELL, YOU KIND OF NEED A RATIONALE AND EVIDENCE/RESEARCH OF YOUR OWN! I MEAN, I COULD RANDOMLY SAY 'OH, GEE, I DON'T THINK GRAVITY EXISTS - LIKE THAT'S MY OPINION, AND SO IT'S JUST AS VALID AS YOU SAYING THAT GRAVITY DOES EXIST, AND, LIKE, IF YOU TELL ME I'M DAFT, THEN THAT IS MEAN AND ARROGANT OF YOU, YO!'
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:49
Mary Magdelene
HA HA! That gravity thing reminded me of an episode of FRIENDS.

Random. I know. Sorry. ;-)
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:51
Estella
HAHA - GOSH, YO, WAS THAT NAUGHTY PHOEBE? I SEEM TO REMEMBER SOMETHING SIMILAR! GOSH, I DO LOVE PHOEBE, YO - SHE IS TOTALLY THE BEST CHARACTER!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2009, 00:02
Mary Magdelene
YES! It was Phoebe! First she said something about how she didn't believe in Evolution, and Ross got upset and tried to change her mind, and then he mentioned gravity and she said "Don't even get me started on gravity". I saw a re-run last night, probably why it was so fresh in my mind. lol
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:11
.Love.Freely.
The problem with your statement about people giving incorrect medical information over the internet is that most doctors can't always agree on what is medical truth or not. Everyone's body is different. Different diseases, infections, etc affect different people in different ways. Any topic that involves science will almost always have evidence to support more than one side. So "arguing" with people over "incorrect medical information" is not always a good argument because either one could be wrong. Just because you work in the medical field and have been taught one thing doesn't mean that something someone else has learned is wrong.

I do vaguely remember a couple "disagreements" you and I have had over medical information and we both work in the medical field, but were taught by two different schools of thinking.

Anyway. proceed with discussion. i'm butting out now.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:19
~RedFraggle~
I'd have to disagree with that. Yes, there's some things in medicine in which there are differing opinions but there are many many things in medicine which are fact and on which most (if not all) doctors would agree. That sunbeds cause skin cancer is one such example. I'd be extremely surprised if you found any doctor who would tell you sunbeds (or sunbathing without sunscreen) were safe.

And someone saying that using a sunbed occassionally is safe is incorrect (as there is medical evidence that even occassional use increases the risk of skin cancer) and dangerous. No doctor would advise anyone to use a sunbed (except possibly for severe dermatological disorders).

Another example is smoking. No doctor would advise someone to smoke. Because it is accepted as fact that smoking is dangerous.

I don't remember discussing anything medical with you. Did you have another name before?
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:26
.Love.Freely.
I know nothing of the tanning thing. And from what I've read about you guys mentioning it on here, that person was wrong and you were right. But that's not the point.

And yes, there is a lot that is universally accepted by most doctors. But because it's a science you will always find research out there to support one opinion or another. There are exceptions, but I'm referring to a lot of the more complicated issues. Obviously excessive smoking, drinking, or drugs is bad and no doctor in his/her right mind would tell you to do that.

But for example, the deal about eggs being goo for you and then doctors came back and said that they were bad for you. Then they said only the yolk was actually bad for you and the whites were ok. There is evidence about how having a glass of wine a day is good for you heart, but there is other research that says it's not. My doctor told me it was perfectly ok to take a certain drug while pregnant, but when I look online there are several websites that say it's not ok and a few that say it is. I could list examples all day long. There are soooo many medical issues out there that can be debated. That was my point. I wasn't trying to say that you were wrong about whatever it was that girl was referring to. I was just commenting that there isn't always a black and white answer when it comes to "medical information."

And, yes, I had another diary name before but I'd rather not mention it on here because I have started a new diary for privacy reasons and I really don't want certain people on here knowing that I'm still around and trying to get my "friends" and "faves" to let them have access to my diary through theirs.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:33
~RedFraggle~
Yes, I totally agree. And I do try and be careful about that when discussing medical issues, because I don't want to mislead people either (and in fact I usually only post medical information at all if I'm correcting someone else who is saying something which is clearly incorrect). I usually say "this is the evidence" (and although there is often evidence for two sides of an issue, one side often has stronger, or better quality evidence) rather than "this is fact". Except for the occassions when it IS fact that is. ;)

And very often I will say to people that rather than asking advice on here, they should speak to their own doctor.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:37
.Love.Freely.
"And very often I will say to people that rather than asking advice on here, they should speak to their own doctor."

amen to that.

And you know I just had to play devil's advocate on this since my degree is in the sciences and I work in a medical facility (though my degree is not a medical one *yet*). Science has always amazed and frustrated me. I love it because you can discover and learn so much about what you're studying and experimenting on. But it's an evolving subject. There is always new research that can either support existing research or completely dispute it. It's seriously the most fascinating thing to me

Ok, I'm a serious dork! I'm going to go now.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 23:42
Estella
YES, YO - GOSH, RED FRAG NEVER DIAGNOSES ME OVER THE INTERNET WHEN I WANT HER TO! SHE ALWAYS TELLS ME TO GO TO MY GP! IT IS MOST FRUSTRATING! ;D

LIKE, GOSH - OTHER, NON-MEDICAL, BLOOPERS DIAGNOSE ME ALL THE TIME, YO! TRANSIT HAS TOTALLY DIAGNOSED ME WITH WORMS! ;D IN FACT, I REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY, WHEN I'D FIRST JOINED BLOOP, I WROTE AN ENTRY ABOUT HOW MY JAW WAS SORE AFTER EATING MIDGET GEMS, AND SOME RANDOM BLOOPER TOTALLY COMMENTED DIAGNOSING ME WITH TMJ! GOSH, YO - ALL I HAVE TO DO IS WRITE AN ENTRY ABOUT HOW I HAVE AN ITCHY NOSE, AND BLOOPERS EVERYWHERE WILL DIAGNOSE ME WITH SOMETHING HARDCORE!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2009, 00:00
Mary Magdelene
I haven't seen the tanning bed discussion, but from the minimal research I have done based on the information I have seen about it in this thread, the entire medical community does not agree on that topic either. While there is medical evidence that even occasional use is harmful, there is also medical evidence that suggests it is the type of exposure that causes the risk and would simply tell someone to pay attention to the type of tanning bed they are going to be tanning in, rather than not tan at all. So it is feasible that someone could argue from the opposite side you were coming from and still have medical evidence to back them up.

I don't tan so it's really of no consequence to me, I'm just pointing out that the tanning bed issue is an issue that the medical field does not agree on, and while you have been led in one direction, someone else may have been led in another direction. The goal is still the same however, the safety of the consumer. Just present the information as you know it, and the other person can present the opposing information as they know it. After that, it IS up to the consumer to decide which direction they are going to take.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2009, 09:30
~RedFraggle~
I have not seen this evidence that you talk of. However, if someone was to show that evidence during a discussion on tanning (sadly, they didn't. They resorted to being just plain nasty instead) then I would respect that, and I would look at it. I am perfectly willing to be shown another side of an argument and if the evidence for that side is strong, then change my opinion.

It should be said however that not all evidence is GOOD evidence (it depends on various factors such as the size of the study, bias, etc). And the majority of the evidence available suggests that sunbed use is always potentially dangerous. While a small number of doctors may disagree with the evidence which says tanning is harmful, the vast majority would NEVER encourage someone to use a sunbed, and the vast majority would never claim sunbed use is safe. As such, the WHO (as well as various associations of dermatologists) strongly recommends that people do not use sunbeds, and they base their recommendations on the evidence available. It would make sense to me to follow those recommendations if you want to be safe.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2009, 20:00
brooke !
i think that people attract drama. granted, the majority of us here are women, and women don't necessarily always get along. we are all opinionated and dead set on those opinions, and therefore drama begins. i don't let the drama get to me, because it's pointless, ya know? it's the internet, it's not real life.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2009, 21:32
Estella
I DUNNO ABOUT THE WOMAN THEORY, BECAUSE MOST OF MY HATERZ ARE CONVINCED I'M A MAN! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 15:56
ღPhoenix
Everyone has an opinion. I'll say MOST people think that THEIR opinion is the be all end all on the subject. When people disagree with them, they feel the need to shove their opinion on someone else, because they think the other person is wrong. Which will inturn piss off the person because they are having an opinion shoved on them

thus causing drama
0 likes [|reply]
17 Jun 2009, 08:03
.love.struck.
And that is what happens a lot on bloop. It's stupid really. An opinion is going to either be in agreeing or not.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 16:14
Transit
With the tanning thread, it wasn't someones opinion being bashed, it was genuine fool proof facts being bashed and the person was targeted for trying to inform people of the truth.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 22:10
~RedFraggle~
Thank you. :)
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends