Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
My laptop over heats way WAY too easily.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 05:44
« Krisstah »
Okay, anyone who can help with this please.

So.. I find that my laptop over heats now just from basic web surfing.
I can no longer play games or anything with it.

I have tried taking a vacuum to my fan for dust. But i can still hear it so it is working.
I have bought a laptop cooling pad and it honestly does nothing.
I bought a real fan and turn it on and it still over heats.
I have kept it in a cool place and made sure the fan has ventilation
I am running only windows live one care, MSN and thats pretty much it for programs.

My laptop had 4 gigs of ram so its not an old or slow piece of junk, it's only a year old.
any suggestions please?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 06:26
.Blue Bella.
I had a problem like this, my old laptop was overheating because something had burnt out or was overheating or something in the inside. Nothing to do with usage..

Suggestion would be to take it to a computer repair man and ask them. It could be a variety of things, and you want to get it fixed before it over heats and fucks it completely.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 12:19
Acid Fairy
My old laptop kept overheating every month or so. I eventually phoned up Dell. They replaced it and the new one had no problems. So it could perhaps just be a problem with the fan?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 06:08
Jessica [Private]
Source.Tips For Preventing Your Laptop From Overheating

What Causes a Laptop to Overheat? stop-laptop-overheating

* Using your machine intensively, makes the hard drive, the central processing unit (CPU) and video systems work at a high capacity. If you do a lot of gaming on your laptop, or run a lot of programs at one time such as Photoshop or Dreamweaver, these will be causing the CPU to work some overtime. I particularly notice my lappy heating up when a virus scan is running. So, the harder your laptop is working, the hotter your processor will get.

* Keeping your laptop in an hot environment, very hot room, near to a radiator/heater etc. contributes to over-heating

* The make and model of your laptop determines whether it may have a propensity to overheating - i.e. if your model’s design does not allow for adequate ventilation.

* If you obstruct the existing ventilation in any way e.g. use it on a bed, blanket, quilt etc

* Allowing fibres and dust to enter the ventilation area.

* Plugging in USB devices such as dongles and external hard drives puts a load on the processor

How Do I Know if I Have an Overheating Problem?

It’s important to remember that there is a difference between your laptop getting hot and actually overheating. If you aren’t sure if your laptop is truly overheating, look out for the following

* If your laptop suddenly shuts down for no reason - this often means the fail safe system in the computer has kicked in when it hits a certain temperature

* Blue Screen of Death often signifies you have an overheating CPU problem

* You may become aware of the fan working more often and sounding louder and/or more vigorous than normal as it tries to cool the computer down

* Memory operation errors

* Your laptop is scorching hot to touch in certain areas

* Your laptop is running slower than usual

What Damage Can Overheating Cause?

* Your laptop can suffer quite extensive damage and require you to replace major components, which could prove to be expensive.

* You can actually cause damage to yourself. My report of singed thighs was slightly exaggerated but, believe it or not, cases of burned genitalia and legs are common. Some medical reports also attribute fertility problems to excessive heat from a laptop.

What Do I Do if my Laptop is Overheating?

* Try to keep your laptop on a cool, hard surface. The majority of models have their ventilation underneath, so if you were daft enough to think that because it’s called a laptop it’s ok to have it on your lap (doh), think again. You may well be in danger of obstructing the ventilation. Ensure that air can circulate all around the laptop, especially underneath.

* Keep all the vents clear of dirt, fluff, dust and fibres.

* Only connect USB devices when you need to use them.

* Use the powersaving functions of your laptop, helps to prevent overheating and also extend the battery life
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2009, 06:10
Jessica [Private]
My apologies. That looked shorter in the article :-/
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends