Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Political Debate
Page:  1  2 
VOTING AGE - should it be lowered?
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 03:09
Music God CJ Plain
I actually have to agree as well. That is the most common sense approach to most problems. I also strongly believe there should be tests for those that want to have children.

If you don't pass the tests, then you are barred from that activity. Why is it that we license drivers but NOT the things that TRULY factor into the future of this country.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 17:23
Man without fear
Something to consider though. Every political decision made directly affects the young people. After all, they're the ones who have to live in the world created by those in office.

At the age of 16 in most western countries a 'child' can be charged as an adult for most serious crimes, so if they can have the mental capacity to be an adult criminal then shouldn't they also have the mental capacity to vote? Seems to me to be something of a double standard.

Also, kids are like any other demographic, there are good and bad, smart and dumb. Adults don't have to prove they're smart enough to vote, there's no test for them. Some kids may not vote or vote badly, but the issues at play in the world today often directly affect those kids giving them a voice in politics may be of great benefit, and it may strange as this may seem, create a less short-sighted political bloc.

good night and good luck.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 17:30
Transit
A lot of young people don't bother learning about politics as their beliefs are ignored even though young people are heavily effected by the actions of government.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 17:35
Man without fear
Neither do a lot of adults.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 20:52
Lady Elphaba
True.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 03:16
Music God CJ Plain
I think it's sort of a vicious circle really, if you think about it. Young people are mostly ignored in the process because they do NOT learn about the process and have a proven track record of NOT caring. That attitude leads to them then BEING ignored. Somewhere along the lines, those attitudes HAVE to change.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 09:19
Transit
Attitudes are pretty bad, I'm 20, but I find all adults treat my like a very small child and assume anything I say is going to be a load of rubbish, so just ignore me. Young people can be just as stupid though, one of my flat mates studies international politics at university and thinks that the UK is a capitalist state!
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 03:14
Music God CJ Plain
As far as the test goes, I don't think it's really about voting "badly" really. It's simply about making sure that those that are voting are TRULY aware of what they are voting for and are informed of the process. I mean, I think people would be shocked at how many people vote that are truly CLUELESS to the political process in this country.

I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I read something recently that only 28% of Americans knew the Prime Minster of England and only about 60% knew that Obama was president.

When I was in Basic Training, I actually had a guy in my unit that had NO idea whatsoever that we had a Black President. I thought he was joking but you could tell by the utter look of confusion on his face that he was truly clueless and out of the loop.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 21:57
~RedFraggle~
28% is pretty impressive considering there ISN'T a Prime Minister of England!

(There is however a Prime Minister of the UK)
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 22:33
Music God CJ Plain
Oh man...I TOTALLY flubbed that up, didn't I. I actually meant to type Minister of Britian and for some reason, I just typed England.

I admit it, EPIC FAIL on my part!
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 18:54
~RedFraggle~
Personally I think I would have made a mature and informed choice if I'd been voting at 16. But this is partly because I took modern studies (a combination of politics and sociology) in high school so had a fairly good understanding of politics. I also had an extremely enthusiastic teacher who constantly reminded us of the importance of using our right to vote (and I think I've only once not used my vote since turning 18, and that was only because it was the day of my final exams).

Still, that said, I don't think that the same could be said for the majority of 16 year olds, since most probably don't have the slighest clue about politics. However, the ones that don't have a clue probably just wouldn't bother to vote at all at that age... so it would allow for the more responsible 16 and 17 year olds to make a difference, and probably nothing would be lost on those who didn't bother to vote at all.

I think the same goes for 18 year olds... those who don't know anything about politics and don't have any interest in finding out, usually just won't vote at all. But I think those who DO care enough to do some research and make an informed choice should be allowed the chance to make their feelings heard. So on balance, I think 18 is probably an appropriate age. And Brits can do pretty much everything else by 18, and many are paying taxes by then, so I think they should get a say in who runs the country and determines where those taxes go.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 19:01
Poetic Justice
Although I do not disagree with the voting age being 18, I will say this- I have and have had friends UNDER 18 who took the responsibility much more seriously, and actually put time and research into whom they would like to vote for even though they knew they couldn't physically do it. I also have adult friends OVER 18 who still write in "Daffy Duck". You do the math.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 19:42
The Ryan
I think the voting age should be lowered to 16. But I also think that studying politics at school should be made compulsory up until age 16. It's crazy to me that something which is so influential to all our lives isn't taught! I'm 24 and I've still got so much to learn about politics. There'll always be stuff to learn, that's the way politics works, but I wish it had been a part of my consciousness earlier, yo!

There is no sense in democracy if people have no clue what they are voting for. It's just some arbitrary game around here, that is seldom played it seems!
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 20:55
Lady Elphaba
I think it's a very good idea to make politics a compulsory subject at school.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 22:05
Transit
In England you are taught politics in citizenship which you then take as a gcse.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jun 2009, 22:05
Transit
In England you are taught politics in citizenship which you then take as a gcse.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jun 2009, 00:03
~RedFraggle~
In Scotland modern studies (which includes politics) is compulsory from the age of 12 until 14. I took it right up until I was 17 though (as a standard grade then as a higher).

After the age of 14, when we choose our subjects, we had to choose one of modern studies, history and geography. I took modern studies, and I think it's probably the most relevant one to real life.
0 likes [|reply]
11 Jun 2009, 22:36
Music God CJ Plain
I know when I was in High School we were required to take a US Government/American Politics class our senior year before we could graduate. I don't think most schools have the requirement though. I definitely think it should be taught LONG before Senior year.

0 likes [|reply]
10 Jun 2009, 02:22
kein mitleid
Age is pretty irrelevant -- I fail to see how a 35-year-old moron can make decisions better than a 12-year-old genius. The fate of a country should not fall onto those of some arbitrary qualification, but rather, be earned through civic virtue a la Starship Troopers.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jun 2009, 16:10
~*Jodi*~
I do not think that it should be lowered. That is a fine age.

I do think that the notion that it should be RAISED is completely absurd, considering all of the other things that are legal at the age of 18. People already bitch about not being able to drink alcohol at 18 but being able to join the military, get married, go to college, enter into legally binding contracts, smoke cigarettes, etc... but we don't want to allow them to have a say in their own political processes because why? Because you feel they are too immature or too uneducated or too ignorant to the issues to make an informed vote? So you want to take away one of their rights and raise the age, but some of the same people (in other threads) have said we should lower the drinking age. Yes, let's allow people to get shit-faced and get DUIs and kill people via drunk driving and buy alcohol for other underage people, but let's not let them be morally responsible and vote. WTF?

When I turned 18 I went right away and registered to vote because I like politics and couldn't wait until I could vote! If an 18 year old IS voting, that is a good thing - that shows interest and that they actually care! That's a good sign for the future, actually. There are people in their 30s who are so damn apathetic that they don't even bother to vote or so uninformed & ignorant that they don't know why they're voting for that particular person other than "My mom always votes Democrat/Republican so I do, too." In America, we are supposed to be the land of the "free" and all "Give me liberty or give me death"... But yet, it seems we (and by that I mean a lot of you and government in general) are real gung-ho to take away people's rights and make MORE laws restricting people. It does not make any sense.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends