Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
DNA confirms body found is Caylee
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 19:19
Tracie
ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) -- The remains found in a wooded area last week in Orange County, Florida, are those of Caylee Anthony, authorities confirmed at a news conference Friday.

Caylee Anthony, 2, has been missing since June in a case that has received national attention.

1 of 3 The announcement marks the end of a six-month search for the 2-year-old.

"It is with regret that I'm here to inform you that the skeletal remains found on December 1 are those of the missing toddler," Orange County Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said.

She said the cause of death was homicide, but she could not determine how Caylee was killed.

Casey Anthony, 22, faces charges including first-degree murder in the June disappearance of her daughter. Remains described as being those of a small child were found last week a half-mile from Casey Anthony's parents' home, in the area where a meter reader first directed police.

At Friday's news conference, police will identify the meter reader who, they said Thursday, called the department four months ago, directing them to the site of the remains three times in August.

At a Thursday news conference, Capt. Angelo Nieves, a Sheriff's Department commander, said investigators were looking into whether the tips, called in August 11, 12 and 13, were properly followed up.

Don't Miss
Judge denies Caylee's mother access to evidence
Sheriff: Grandparents' home may be a crime scene
Casey Anthony's indictment (PDF)
Find Caylee Blog
In one of those phone calls, the meter reader reported seeing a gray bag on the side of the road, Nieves said. On August 13, a deputy responded to the site and did a "cursory search" but found nothing, Nieves said.

Nieves said police were getting more information from the tipster and the deputy who responded to the tips. He said the department was investigating the "thoroughness" of the deputy's response but would not identify the deputy.

The meter reader "is not a suspect," Nieves said. "He is a credible witness."

Nieves' latest announcement is raising questions about whether police missed several chances to find remains believed to be Caylee's.

The meter reader is not the only one, or the first, to have pointed police toward the site containing the remains.

KioMarie Cruz, Casey Anthony's childhood friend, also told police to investigate the same wooded area near Hidden Oaks Elementary School a month before the meter reader, according to CNN affiliate WFTV.

In an interview with detectives, according to WFTV, Cruz said that she and Anthony "pretty much used to hang out there most of our time," would "snack on food for hours" and went there to "get away from our parents."

The Sheriff's Department followed up on that tip, but the wooded area was covered in floodwaters, preventing a search. Nieves said the water may have been present at the time of the meter reader's tips as well.

Nieves also said Thursday that searchers combing the site after the skull's discovery had found "significant skeletal remains" consistent with those of a small child on the outer perimeter of the search area.

The area will be enlarged, and processing and searching of the site will continue, probably into the weekend, he said.

Some of the remains have been sent to the FBI lab in Quantico, Virginia, in an effort to identify them. Authorities have said the remains are believed to be Caylee's, but an identification is pending.

Sheriff's spokesman Carlos Padilla said last week that authorities believe the remains are Caylee's for three reasons: No other children have been reported missing in the area; the remains are consistent with those of a child of Caylee's age; and the remains were found near the home of the grandparents, where the 2-year-old and her mother were living just before Caylee disappeared.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said Monday that he did not know when tests would be complete, but an attorney for Anthony's parents said the FBI is likely to have results "within the next week."

Casey Anthony could face a sentence of life in prison if convicted. Prosecutors said this month that they would not seek the death
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2008, 04:06
RAE 0F SUNSHiNE
somehow, i just don't think it was the mom who killed her....
maybe it was a drug deal gone bad or something. hmm =\
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 19:39
foreverglow
I'm just glad they finally found her [the remains]. That mother deserves to rot in jail for the rest of her life. Poor kid. :(
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 20:01
Zombie Steve
Bloop Owner
That's really sad.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 20:10
- cynthia -
that worthless pile of shit that claimed to be caylee's mother deserves to die. she deserves the death penalty. rotting in jail would be an honor...she needs to be put through everything that beautiful caylee went thru during her awful death. rott in hell casey!
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 20:14
Tracie
That's something I just cannot wrap my mind around. How can you, or anyone HURT a poor innocent child?

Some people should be sterlized from birth.

My daughter is screaming her head off right now, giving me a headache and I have no urge to hurt her. I just don't get people
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 22:02
Music God CJ Plain
Exactly. It's all part of being a parent. You have those days when they drive you crazy...and then they do something that makes it all seem like the most amazing thing in the world.

LIke you said, some people should be sterilized and lobotomized.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 22:02
Music God CJ Plain
AMEN times 1000!
0 likes [|reply]
19 Dec 2008, 21:19
Suzy
They could have solved this in August, when the maintenance worker reported to police like 3 times that there was a body there! The police were slightly negligent in this case too!

Yeah, I don't get it either.... My dad was like "if you don't want the baby, give it to somebody else, don't kill it" ... seriously... people are insane nowadays... aye yi yi!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 03:14
31Oct1517
If the mother is indeed guilty, then she ought to receive capital punishment.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 05:03
~*Pagan*~
Yep no questions asked. It just goes into everything that is hard wired into us as parents...we protect our young on a subconsious instinctual level.

This woman doesnt deserve to live the life she denied her child.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 11:47
Step.Into.The.Light
The death sentence is absolutely barbaric and shouldn't still be a part of any First World justice system, no matter what the crime is.
She needs the life sentence, however.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 21:28
Music God CJ Plain
I disagree respectfully. What these piece of crap criminals do is what is barbaric. And it's the liberal, tree hugger attitudes that piss me off. People that coddle the criminals while totally forgetting the pain and suffering of the victims and their families.

I say forget electric chairs, I say use electric bleachers!
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 23:15
Step.Into.The.Light
Excuse, I did not "forget" the pain and suffering of anyone. The majority of my father's side of the family live in the ghetto Stateside and every other year we have a death in the family to murder and gang violence. Don't tell me that I'm CODDLING criminals when I said that they need to be locked up for life. OF COURSE it's barbaric, but there's no reason to answer barbarism with barbarism.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 23:16
Step.Into.The.Light
I meant "Excuse me".
0 likes [|reply]
20 Dec 2008, 23:20
Music God CJ Plain
So, they should have the privilege of being ALIVE while their victims do not get that right? They should have the privilege to enjoy TV rights, daily meals at the expense of taxpayers, and to continue to see their family and friends through visits and letters?

Sorry, but when they commit a violent crime they should lose ALL those right including their life. There's EVERY reason to answer Barbarism with barbarism. It's the only thing the criminals understand.

Nothing will change in this country until we learn that the penalty must fit the CRIMINAL NOT THE CRIME!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2008, 03:04
Step.Into.The.Light
"So, they should have the privilege of being ALIVE while their victims do not get that right?"

So which is it? Is it a privilege or a right? Why would it suddenly be a privilege for the criminal? Wouldn't that go against the very definition of a "right" if we could switch back and forth between the two? I can allow myself to be flexible for a lot of things within life, but the right to life itself is an absolute, "unalienable" if you will, for me, regardless of what they've done. That is my one absolute. However, there is no such thing as a "right to live with society", which is why I advocate life punishment instead, with intense rehabilitation.

"They should have the privilege to enjoy TV rights,"

I'm not sure how this matters? I don't watch TV much aside from global news and the occasional show so I really don't. The knowledge that you're now isolated completely from society for the rest of your life far outweighs any TV show. It's not like they can watch HBO anytime they want; they have an extremely short time limit for personal enjoyment per day, they have to earn it first, and it's to encourage good behavior in the prison system. All of their privileges can be taken away at the officer's whim, so again, the fact that one is in prison for life, with no ability to make his or her own decisions regarding anything whatsoever, far outweighs the enjoyment one could get while watching a TV show (most just watch the news to keep in touch with outside events anyway, and they're severely restricted on what other programs they have access to). People are seriously exaggerating how much privilege inmates have or how much they enjoy it.

"daily meals at the expense of taxpayers,"

It costs taxpayers more to keep the death sentence than it would if we were to simply abolish it. I read in New Jersey, things like TV aren't even funded by taxpayer money, but through donations of some sort. That's the only state I can find specifics on, however. For all I know, other states have different systems but I'm not willing to comment or accept arguments on it unless I have a source available. And yes, it would be a little unethical to starve people to death.

"and to continue to see their family and friends through visits and letters?"

Well, yes, their family members aren't the ones being punished. Why shouldn't they be allowed to have contact with one of their own? However, since I'm flexible on things outside of the death penalty, I'd be willing have the alternative of cutting a person off completely from outside contact if the exchange would be the tossing of the death penalty. It's not like that has anything to do with people not involved with the exchange of letters, and it's free, so I see no problem with it as it is. It encourages good behavior and it makes it easier for the correctional officers to do their jobs.

"It's the only thing the criminals understand. "

That is incorrect. Are you making the assumption that all of those who commit homicide are hardened criminals or psychopaths to begin with? Completely incapable of irrational thought?
1) Studies have shown that the death penalty is not a deterrent of homicide.
2) Many homicides, especially those committed against family members and loved ones, are committed in the heat of moment, meaning people like you or me completely snapping for one reason or another. See: "crime of passion".
3) Those who act out premeditated murders don't expect to get caught in the first place, tying this into point #1. They understand perfectly what happens if they get caught. They just don't expect to get caught. It's not a deterrent, otherwise the South would have the lowest crime rates of all the regions in the United States, especially Texas, when it doesn't.

"Nothing will change in this country until we learn that the penalty must fit the CRIMINAL NOT THE CRIME!"

Okay I have absolutely no clue what this means, but nothing will change in this country unless we get rid of the status quo and focus on rehabilitation instead of revenge-revenge-revenge, either. Nothing will change unless we study the root causes of violence, why people choose to lash out in a certain way, etc etc. Disregarding the root causes and assuming all those who commit violent crimes are just delinquents to be disposed of would mean dismissing all verified research and studies conducted by professors and experts all across the nation as examples of "liberal tree-hugging" which is clearly not the case.

If you are absolutely bent on revenge remaining as the foundation of our justice system, or the taking of another's life being the appropriate response to the crime of...taking another person's life, then we disagree on the issue fundamentally (we already seem to disagree on life being an absolute, unalienable-no-matter-what right) and I will stop here. However, inefficiency is inefficiency and I fully expect it to be abolished within my lifetime, if not merely reformed to the point where it would be extremely difficult to get a death sentence in the first place. I'm glad the prosecutors are siding with me in this case.

0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2008, 03:52
Fiat
I don't think lethal injection is anywhere near as barbaric as murdering a young child in cold blood and burying her in the woods. But to sit in prison? I don't think people understand the full consequence that is prison (I know I don't). Imagine being put in a cell for life with nothing to do other than die of old age. I think if she's put in prison for life she should be given a very restrictive environment (no television, regular social time, etc.) There should also be absolutely no chance of parole, ever.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2008, 09:57
.Blue Bella.
Prison these days isn't like that anymore unfortunately, where they have nothing but their cell. They have the chance to get an education, they have televisions etc. Waste of tax payer dollars if you ask me. I agree with you, if she is put in prison it should be VERY restricted. (Honestly I reckon they put her in a concrete cell and throw away the key!)
0 likes [|reply]
21 Dec 2008, 05:00
Jenna bean....
Casey was sooooo stupid. if she didnt want Caylee, there is always the Safe Haven law.... Too bad it took her until she was 2 to realize she did not want Caylee. Caylee did nothing wrong, except love a horrible person. I wish some people took better advantage of the Safe Haven laws..... or adoption.... anything but this!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends