Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Page:  1  2 
Cloth Diapering
0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 14:54
.November.Butterfly.
theres different types, the terry diaper inner bit absorbs and then there is a plastic/PUL/fleece outer wrap which stops the leak.
others like pocket ones have a fleece inner, plastic type outer bit joined, with the absorbant core in the middle to soak up the pee.
0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 16:28
Laurarose
lol no no no, as suzi said, there are so many different types and when you say "cloth nappies/diapers" people think of the old nappies. But there are many different ones. I just got into them a couple of weeks ago and love them! So many pretty different styles... it gets addictive in a way lol!
Anyways, the main ones I use are called pocket nappies/diapers. You have the nappy, and it's shaped just like a disposable and at the end of the nappy is an opening, you put inserts into this- microfiber towelling, bamboo booster, whatever you need depending on how heavy a wee-er your baby is, and thats it! it soaks up all the wee. Then you just take out the inserts and throw the nappy and inserts into to be washed [along with others that are used otherwise you'll be washing 10 times a day lol]
when it comes to poop, you can use flushable liners, so place that on top of the nappy [where the bum sits] and the when they poop, you just remove it and throw it away. However, i think these flushable liners are very comfy beause they're papery. So I use fleece washable ones and use the flushable liners to take the poop off the liner and flush it and then throw the fleece liner into be washed :0)

Theres loads to learn as you can see and thats only ONE type of nappy haha
i don't have much experience with the other kinds, although all in one nappies are the easiest to use as they're exactly like disposables but because they're "all in ones" they take forever and a day to dry so you'd probably need to buy more than what you'd need to buy with pocket nappies [which dry faster]
0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 16:31
Laurarose
AREN'T very comfy i meant to say... damn you'd think i'd proof read BEFORE i post lol
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 20:32
Makayla
No, they are just like regular diapers, they have absorbing material in them. So they do not leak through. Some actually leak less than reg. disposable diapers if they are made well.
0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 16:33
Laurarose
HI ya, making cloth nappies are fast becoming a trend hehe so there are plenty of places that give out instructions. Just type in "how to make your own all in one cloth diapers" into google and it comes up with a ton :D
0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 17:04
queenbutterfly
This is a fantastic sounding idea! Any websites that I could possibly go to, to find these types of disposable diapers?
0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 17:19
Laurarose
if you're thinking of switching try this website
http://www.kellyscloset.com/
Im in the UK so I don't really know what american/canadian sites to recommend but if you're just looking at whats available then this looks like a good place to start :D

0 likes [|reply]
13 May 2009, 21:02
mixie
etsy.com! Support independent crafters and purchase from them instead of big box stores :] Just search cloth diapers, or you can browse the "baby" section.
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 01:01
Mami 2 ♥ 1
you can go to diaperswappers.com and go to the forums to ask questions and see what is popular. (people use that site to sell buy and trade their cloth diapers and stuff.) I have learned alot from the site. I think its easier to buy used ones in good condition that you can find out if it works for you or not before spending a ton on a bunch of new stuff that doesnt work for your family.
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 00:17
Estella
I HAD CLOTH DIAPERS WHEN I WAS A BABY, YO! AND SEE WHAT A FINE SPECIMEN OF HUMANITY I TURNED INTO! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 01:12
Half Dozen Mama
To those who are saying ewww. It isnt as bad as you are making it sound.
Step 1) Remove the diaper. Re-diaper baby.
Step 2) Dump any solids into the toilet. You dont have to TOUCH it, just dump it. Like she mentioned earlier, they also have flushable liners you can put inside the dipe.. though I dont like them. They feel rough & papery.
Step 3) ((Optional actually, poop is 100% water solulable and will wash completely in the washer)) Spray/Rinse the diaper out. They have actual sprayers that hook to your toilet, or you can just wash it out right in the toilet bowl. If you think this is ew, then you need to clean your toilet more often. Studies show more germs float around in the average kitchen than your bathroom. ;)
Step 4) Throw diaper into a diaper pail until it is time to wash.

Simple. As. That.

Wash time.. use a minimal/VERY small amount of detergent. Cold soak. Hot wash. Two rinses to be sure you get all the detergent out. (two rinses is MY preference, though not everyone else does it) You can also use vinegar in the rinse, to rid of any left over residue from detergent, also helps with the stinky dipe smell that might build up over time. Tumble dry low, OR line dry.

0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 02:46
icedxgraffiti
I had cloth diapers when I was a baby too. That's what I plan on using on my child when the time comes. Not only is it chemical free and cheaper, but it helps with potty training. They don't absorb as well as disposables, so the child won't want to sit in them as long because of the wet feeling. I was PT'd at 9 months. As far as the cleaning, it's no different than using cheap toilet paper and having your fingers go through. omgz eww. Wash your hands. =D
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 11:53
Laurarose
actually you don't get a "wet feeling" with the clothies, because most use a fleece lining which soaks up the pee and dries real quickly, but they do need changing alot of you have a wee-er like mine is otherwise they'll leak lol!
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 04:26
.love.struck.
Yuck, I could never do that. I couldn't throw them into the washer half clean. They would have to be totally clean before I put it in my washer. I know they are better for the environment and cheaper, but I still couldn't do it.
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 14:53
Mojo Jojo
My baby's disposables leak like a bitch so I end up washing poop-covered clothes. No different to that really
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 05:24
Half Dozen Mama
Sorry Makayla for not answering the original question, LOL!!

Materials often used for cloth dipes are.. Fleece, Flannel, Microfiber ((that can never be DIRECTLY against babies skin, it can be used INSIDE the dipe)), Terry, Bamboo, Suede Cloth, ((all absorbant materials)) and then PUL for the waterproof material. You will need to decide your closure, snaps or velcro. I believe for snaps you will need some sort of snap press device, though I am not 100% sure.

You can also make regular fitted diapers. Which are like prefolds, they require a cover, except they are sewn into an actual diaper shape so they dont require any folding. These are what I call daddy friendly diapers. ;)

Here is a site you might find resourceful.

http://www.celticclothswholesale.com/
0 likes [|reply]
14 May 2009, 20:37
Makayla
thanks so much. I will have to check out the website. =)
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends