Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Hyporcracy of the Gay Rights Movement
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 19:19
monoboo
that's against the right to be searched. not necessarily privacy as a whole. also, seeing as how it is an amendment, does that mean the people did not have that right until after it was made law? what about the years before?

the supposed right we have to privacy is also what allows a woman to have an abortion in roe v. wade. however, i suspect, some people will state that no woman has the "right" to an abortion. fact is, there are other rights we have as people that just aren't stated blatantly in the constitution.

0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 19:22
monoboo
anyways, done for good. that last sentence pretty much states my thoughts overall on "rights."
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 19:30
kein mitleid
Yes, it is necessarily privacy as a whole. Surveillance is considered "search" which is not allowed without probable cause. The idea of "reasonable right to privacy" meaning within one's own area not in general view to the public is protected by the idea that "search" includes any form of surveillance.

0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 21:15
31Oct1517
where in the constitution states that privacy is a right?

That's right, it doesn't. I would argue that the so-called "right to privacy" doesn't exist.

nowhere, yet it's been found in several different cases that we do have a right to expect privacy.

Yeah, because the SCOTUS invented this "right" out of thin-air. Nobody spoke of such a "right" until Griswold v. Connecticut when the Court decided to act as social change agents instead of a judicial body. Even if the 4th Amendment gives a blanket right to privacy (which it doesn't), the 4th Amendment doesn't even apply to the states anyway. In point of fact, so-called "incorporation doctrine" has only been selectively applied and I see no merit for it anyway.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 03:26
KJVBIBLEMAN
Yep and be respectful...don't call her a dumb ***** half brained etc etc etc. State you views and make your counter argument and don't be a hypocrite
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 03:37
monoboo
again, you mentioned perez hilton nowhere in your first post. if were gonna argue about who has more grace and class between the two, clearly miss california, no contest.

however, to say that the gay movement as a whole is hypocritical based on perez hilton's comments is stretching it. we cannot base the gay rights movement on perez hilton and similiarly, we cannot assume that everyone who is against "gay rights" is all smiles and sweetness like miss california.

anyways, i'm bored with this.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Apr 2009, 16:02
King Phantom
I don't think he ever implied that.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 03:04
31Oct1517
FYI...James White posted an excellent video response to this incident and followed up with a specific response to Perez Hilton's remarks on the "Today Show."

Good stuff.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 03:39
valerieeeee
opposite marriage. lol
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 19:53
just samma;
that made me laugh too!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 10:18
Catch May If You Can
"While I may not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it"

thats the only response i can think of and i think it applies

i don't agree with what this girl said, but she has the right to say whatever she wants.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 21:43
Lauren.
I couldn't have said it better myself!
0 likes [|reply]
26 Apr 2009, 16:04
King Phantom
It reminds me of Buster in Arrested Development, after having found his mother having an affair with his uncle (and while trying to decide whether or not to join the army):

"I don't agree with what you are doing, but I will defend with my life your right to do it!" And then he storms out of the makeshift model home to join the army. Haha.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Apr 2009, 23:51
love♥nik
Voltaire had it completely right.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 11:13
Estella
HYPOCRISY, YO! NOT HYPORCRACY! ;D

WHAT ABOUT THE SHALLOWNESS OF HAVING A MISS AMERICA CONTEST TO BEGIN WITH, YO? I DON'T SEE A GREAT DIFFERENCE IN NOT AWARDING SOMEONE A SCHOLARSHIP BASED ON HOW THEY LOOK IN A SWIMSUIT AS MUCH DIFFERENT FROM NOT AWARDING SOMEONE A SCHOLARSHIP BASED ON THEIR OPINION OF GAY MARRIAGE. I THINK THE PRIORITIES AND VALUES OF THIS CONTEST WERE ROYALLY SCREWED UP LONG BEFORE ANY MENTION OF GAY MARRIAGE, YO!

IT'S A CONTEST WHERE CONTESTANTS ARE REQUIRED TO FIT A SOCIETAL 'NORM'. IT IS TOTALLY ALL ABOUT WHAT AMERICANS LIKE TO SEE AND HEAR. SURE, SHE HAS A RIGHT TO HAVE A VIEW THAT DIFFERS FROM THE NORM. JUST LIKE SHE HAS A RIGHT TO HAVE A BODY THAT DIFFERS FROM SOCIETY'S IDEA OF BEAUTIFUL. BUT THAT ISN'T GOING TO WIN HER THE CONTEST. IT'S ALL ABOUT POPULARITY, YO.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 11:23
Estella
ER... GOSH, WE NEED AN 'EDIT POST' OPTION, YO! I SPY A REDUNDANT AND UNGRAMMATICAL REPETITION OF 'DIFFERENCE/DIFFERENT'. REPLACE 'AS MUCH DIFFERENT FROM' WITH 'AND', YO! OR OMIT THE INITIAL 'A GREAT DIFFERENCE IN'. ;D
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 13:16
KJVBIBLEMAN
I agree thats edit idea. It would be nice.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 13:16
KJVBIBLEMAN
First, at least here in the United States the Norm is opposed to gay marriage. Overwhelmingly America still believes in a man and a woman. As to whether a beauty contest is shallow. Duh, I don't think that Christians should participate in such a vain activity since it seems to go against some of the major principals of Christian living But that is my opinion .
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 13:24
Estella
IS THAT REALLY THE NORM IN THE US AS A WHOLE, YO? IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE NORM OPINION OF THE VAST MAJORITY OF AMERICANS I SPEAK TO ONLINE ON VARIOUS SITES. ARE THERE SOME HARDCORE RECENT STATISTICS TO WHICH YOU COULD POINT ME?

BUT CLEARLY IT'S THE ACCEPTED NORM OF THOSE JUDGING THE CONTEST, YO, IF IT IS BEING USED AGAINST HER. AND MY POINT ABOUT BEAUTY CONTESTS IS THAT ENTIRELY - IT'S BASED ON TASTE AND VALUES OF THE PEOPLE JUDGING. IT'S A POPULARITY CONTEST, YO. IF A PERSON TAKES PART IN SUCH A THING, THEY NEED TO BE AWARE OF WHAT IS POPULAR AND WHAT IS NOT, AND CONFORM TO THAT IF THEY WISH TO WIN.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 14:02
« Krisstah »
That being said, i would like to see these statistics from a non religious site.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 14:07
Estella
OF COURSE, YO - IT WOULD HAVE TO BE STATS FOR THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE, TAKEN BY THE GOVERNMENT.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 14:14
31Oct1517
A recent CNN poll concludes that a majority of Americans still oppose same-sex "marriage":

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/03/polls-majority-of-americans-oppose-gay-marriage/

Even so, having the majority behind you doesn't prove anything with respect to whether same-sex "marriage" is ethical. Even if 99 percent of the people favored it, it's still evil and ought to be opposed.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 15:24
Chris
Just to point out here, if the majority of Americans didn't oppose same-sex marriage, proposition 8 probably wouldn't have been passed and it would be legal in a few states.

Then again, the wording was all fucked up on the proposition, and people thought they were voting FOR same-sex marriage as opposed to FOR proposition 8.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Apr 2009, 16:39
31Oct1517
Then again, the wording was all fucked up on the proposition, and people thought they were voting FOR same-sex marriage as opposed to FOR proposition 8.

The same thing happened in Virginia back in '06 when we had a similar ballot measure in which some people walked out of the polling place voting "no," thinking they were voting *against* same-sex "marriage" when in fact they were voting against an amendment to ban it.

This is why I believe that ballot initiatives and referendum should be kept to a minimum, if not outright abolished. Things really haven't changed in 200+ years. The general public is still uneducated and ill-informed as they ever were. Moreover, I'm looking into the argument that referenda might actually be unconstitutional as it conflicts with the U.S. Constitution's guarantee that every state has a republican form of government.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Apr 2009, 16:07
King Phantom
We had the same vote here, and I voted the right way (the way I meant to). And I'm just as uneducated as everyone else!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends