Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Announcements
GLBT gets Attacked by National Organization for
0 likes [|reply]
23 Apr 2009, 01:44
31Oct1517
Agreed...but then who would the secular go to if they want to get married?

They would simply live together as a couple like everyone else. Just because they don't get married in a church doesn't mean that they don't have a marriage.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 02:13
Opie's Old Lady
Sorry I forgot to mention if you want to see the advertisement you need to copy & paste.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 03:26
*Teddybear*blues*
I personally think marriage has now become a legal thing. If anyone from the GLBT community wants to get married legally... they should be able to. I understand people believing in their faith that they should not be married in their churches. I don't agree with it but I understand it but this because I am not a religious person. But its a legal thing... not a religion thing. Nothing is going to change other than people that are in relationships with other people will be able to get married legally. That's my opinion on the whole situation.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 03:30
Opie's Old Lady
it has but the unfortunate thing is that almost all the members of Congress or the Courts or any other Government are religious people. Until they stop being closed minded it will enver change. I also understand but they shouldn't be saying that they are being punished by the Government for not allowing Gays to be married in their church. It's not true.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 03:31
Opie's Old Lady
*it will never change.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 03:35
*Teddybear*blues*
I think based on the faith of the church if they truthfully believe that they believe that the bible says gays should not be married then it is within their right to refuse to marry them. Church is about faith. Marriage is now legal like I said. They should be allowed to find either a church that is in line with their views on sexuality or be able to married by a justice of the peace.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 03:38
Opie's Old Lady
You are right. What i was trying to say (because i suck at putting my thoughts into words lol) is well basically what you said. They should be allowed to find a church or get married by the Justice of the peace. I just think they are wrong for lying not for their beliefs or anything like that.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Apr 2009, 22:19
31Oct1517
it has but the unfortunate thing is that almost all the members of Congress or the Courts or any other Government are religious people. Until they stop being closed minded it will enver change.

So having religious beliefs means that one is closed-minded?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 03:33
Opie's Old Lady
No, however as far as I have seen none of these people are very open minded about gay marriage
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 03:41
31Oct1517
No, however as far as I have seen none of these people are very open minded about gay marriage

So people have to support same-sex "marriage" in order to be considered open-minded?
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 19:54
Chris
The religious aspect of it far outweighs the legal benefits.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 20:02
Opie's Old Lady
Meaning?
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 20:09
Chris
Meaning a person shouldn't marry solely for the legal benefits of marriage unless they're planning on having kids. I don't see why people who aren't religious would want to marry unless they're having kids.

If the government had nothing whatsoever to do with marriage, then there wouldn't be a fight for homosexuals to even get married.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 20:29
Opie's Old Lady
Okay, but that isn't a major factor for all Gays. I know many gays who are very religious & want to be married in a church. Yes, the legal benefits are nice. Especially if their other half is sick & in the hospital or something happens. Did you know that if a woman/man gets seriously sick or injured that her/his life partner can't see her/him unless it's visiting hours, & her/his life partner can't stay. Her/his life partner isn't allowed to make the same decisions a wife or husband would be able to make in the same situation. They want to have both. They want to have the same rights as heterosexual men & women. They should have those same rights.

The National Organization for Marriage should not tell out right lies to get what they want.

Personally, I lost any respect for those people that made the ad & for those who agree with them.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 21:10
Chris
I never mentioned religious homosexuals because it had nothing to do with my point. I fully support gay marriage because of it.

The hospital visiting isn't a legal thing, as it depends on the hospital. Civil unions allow spousal decision making.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 23:13
Fiat
I wanted to add too - I'm in a heterosexual marriage and just because we're married does NOT mean my husband has access to any of medical records OR visiting rights. In fact, even with my permission he cannot access my medical records - at ALL.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 23:32
BeautifulBrownEyes
Actually that's not true. With written consent you can give access to those records.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 23:38
Fiat
It must be my caregiver's policy then. I recently sent Shannon with written permission to obtain my medical records for an FMLA-related work form, and they wouldn't allow him to have it. I had to come back with him later in the afternoon, even after a phone call to clarify the situation.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Apr 2009, 06:22
T.A.I
Marriage is also a way to transfer money legally, without being taxed. Extremely large dowrys and marrying into money are ways to get rich without paying taxes on such things, because the government doesn't tax on those, last I checked.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 20:41
Transit
Property rights as well, plus in america health insurance, filing taxes together etc.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 20:49
Opie's Old Lady
Exactly.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 21:11
Chris
Understood, but those issues aren't what's on the table right now.

If homosexuals came out and said they want to be able to marry for love, and are fighting on principle, then I would be able to take it more seriously.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Apr 2009, 22:02
Opie's Old Lady
That is what they are doing. They want to marry for love. That is the biggest thing. Everything else is basically a bonus. They are fighting to marry for love just like every other American that is married or getting married.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Apr 2009, 22:22
31Oct1517
That is what they are doing. They want to marry for love. That is the biggest thing. Everything else is basically a bonus.

Why is it necessary that civil government affirm this "love" of theirs?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 03:37
Opie's Old Lady
"love"? Why do you say it like that? Is what they feel for their partner not love? Is it different? Is it wrong?

My answer to your question is that they have a right to get married in a church if they so chose. It doesn't harm anyone. They have every right to show their love for their partner just like you do & just like I do.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends