America's Next Top Model
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 13:58
Lauren.
Well, they are! Hot Brazilian models are everywhere! :p
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 13:56
international
Are you kidding me? The language was not the language that is spoken in Brazil. He said "I would like you to come to my country." NO ONE in Brazil speaks like he did. NO ONE. And I'm not just talking about the accent. Some people in Brazil would probably even have a hard time understanding him. I know I did when I first moved to Portugal. Tyra letting girls from other countries with accents win America's Next Top Model is NOTHING like this. lol Jaslene is american, despite her background. Like many americans... she's still american. I highly, very highly, doubt that this man was Brazilian. Whether Tyra personally picked that man or not, it's still under her responsibility when she makes such a huge point about the girls learning other cultures and being smart and not making disrespectful culture mistakes.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 18:20
Miss
well don't flip out on me about it. if you're that pissed off then send her an email. bitching about it in forums won't change anything. i personally don't think it's a big deal. (you might say, yeah that's because you're an American and you have no idea how it is to feel disrespected like this, whatever) but in the end it's just a TV SHOW. nobody is making you watch it.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 19:12
international
Lol.

I obviously wasn't exactly trying to change the fact by bitching about it on the forums in Bloop. That would just be silly. I think the tone of my original post is pretty clear on that. You don't know me, because I'd never say what you suggested I could say about the fact that you're an american. :) Why would the fact that you are an american mean that you don't know what it's like to feel disrespected?

I enjoy the show, that's why I watch it. And it bothered me, obviously because I'm Brazilian. But what's wrong with me wanting to point out to everyone else who sees the show that a mistake was made? And possibly even take it as a chance to teach a little something people may not know about my country.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 20:19
love♥nik
Well I for one am glad you did. ^_^ I know that Portuguese is spoken in both Portugal and Brazil, but I wouldn't have known that that man wasn't from Brazil b/c I'm not from there. Makes me glad that Taiwan isn't a fashion hotspot b/c I can see the producers doing something similar and I would just be staring at the screen going, umm... WTF NOT RIGHT! XD So I totally get why you said something. ^_^
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 20:38
international
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 18:29
valerieeeee
I think the point that everyone here is trying to make is.... Tyra Banks is an uneducated moron. And a hypocrite.

Bia, have you seen the latest one? What do you think of their representation of Brazil thus far?
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 19:22
international
lol Well my point was never to say that Tyra is an uneducated moron. Actually, like I think I mentioned I am suspicious that she was aware that he is in fact portuguese, but just didn't care because she figures it's all the same to Americans. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe she didn't know. Either way, I don't really think she's as uneducated as she could be.

I have indeed seen the latest one, and I'm glad you asked!!! lol

Well, my personal opinion is that episode 1 in Brazil is better than the invitation to Brazil was! Some good points, and some critiques, but at least no horrible mistakes this time.

My observations:

I dislike that Tyra asked the Brazilian model that does Brazil's Next Top Model to participate, though I suppose she had to. I do not like Fernanda though, she annoys me muchly... and I don't think she had much input.

I LOVE the fact that they gave the girls Havaianas flips flops. It's something very Brazilian and that is being sold around the world. They are very popular here, and as a person who is in advertising I think the people in charge of marketing and advertising of this brand did an amazing job. It's something that is worn by the poorest AND the richest people in Brazil.

Bringing in The Girl Of Ipanema was pretty cool too... very Brazilian, so I approve! The capeira too. I knew they would bring that in at one point. (Although I thought it was funny that the guy is called "Eddy Murphy" lol Doesn't sound Brazilian, but then it does because Brazilians have weiird names that aren't even very Brazilian sounding.) And Carmen Miranda too. They're all Brazilian things which are known about internationally. The favelas were bound to be on the show at one point, but I'm glad that they didn't do the usual thing and just show the poorness in Brazil. They brought Carmen Miranda in there. And the one thing that Fernanda did say which I actually liked was about how there is joy in the favelas. Something I don't think Natalie understood, but why would she.

I can't remember who said it now... I belive it was one of the judges... who said "Bem vindos" when welcoming them to Brazil. That's the only other little error so far. They're all women, so they should've said "bem vindas" but hey, it wasn't a Brazilian who said, so that's not exactly a mistake.

As for the models questions to "where is the ocean?" My answer: In Rio de Janeiro!!!!!! And not Sao Paulo!!!!

Aren't you glad you asked? ;) lol
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 20:57
love♥nik
I'm watching the ep now... and does Natalie ever NOT complain?!?! DEAR GOD!!! Brazil isn't this and Brazil isn't that there's no ocean there's no view we have to share beds....

*headdesk* OMG.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 20:59
international
lol She was only excited to go to Brazil because she knew it would be "hot".
0 likes [|reply]
25 Apr 2009, 21:06
love♥nik
I know right?! Jesus. Natalie is really getting on my nerves. She's gone to this exciting new place and all she can do is complain. Jeez. And really suck at the capoeira. XD
0 likes [|reply]
26 Apr 2009, 21:33
Radiant Designs
"I LOVE the fact that they gave the girls Havaianas flips flops."

My Havaianas (not from any silly American store, STRAIGHT from Brazil itself ;)) are the most comfortable flip flops I own. I love them!
0 likes [|reply]
27 Apr 2009, 01:29
love♥nik
I don't know where to get them! They were advertised in this month's Vogue and they're so cute! ^_^
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends