Page:  1 
baby boy drowns in the bath tub.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Apr 2009, 02:04
Mami 2 ♥ 1
Questions surround baby's drowning death

By LYDA LONGA
Staff Writer

The darkness and rain that fell over Avenue H near Ormond Beach on Monday matched the mood of several residents saddened by the death of a 5-month-old boy who drowned in a bathtub.

Trenton Giachetti
Volusia County sheriff's officials said Trenton Giachetti, who family and friends said was just starting to learn how to giggle, drowned Monday morning in the bathtub of a green mobile home at 1114 Avenue H.

The infant's mother, 30-year-old Christal Giachetti, two of her female friends and a 3-month-old baby -- not Giachetti's -- were in the trailer at the time of the child's death, said sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson.

The Sheriff's Office did not release any further information Monday regarding how the baby drowned.

The child was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where he was pronounced dead at 11:29 a.m. Shortly thereafter, Giachetti and her two friends were taken away in squad cars for questioning.

Several people along Avenue H -- a short thoroughfare where neighbors know each other -- said they had been worried about the baby's well-being.

"No one knows how the baby got into the bathtub and the water was running," said neighbor Rebecca Williams, a mother of five whose eyes welled with tears. "How does a 5-month-old walk to the bathtub and turn on the water?"

When the rain started, the group moved inside to another resident's screened-in front porch. They passed around color photographs of Trenton and another baby playing on a sofa.

"She said she didn't want him," first cousin Amy Bloomfield remembered Giachetti saying. "We should have taken that baby from her. This is our fault. We should have done something."

When Giachetti stumbled down the street barefoot with two female friends in tow, screaming "He didn't make it! He didn't make it!" Bloomfield and another cousin turned their faces away from her. "We can't look at her. We don't want to talk to her," Bloomfield said.

When Bloomfield finally asked Giachetti what had happened, Giachetti turned quickly toward her and replied, "I don't know. I have to plan a funeral."

A reporter approached Giachetti and asked her the same question. Before she was yanked away by one of her friends, the mother said, "My son drowned in the bathtub."

One of the main concerns of friends and family was how Trenton's big brother, 13-year-old Kevin, would find out about the baby's drowning. The older boy is with an uncle in North Carolina on a scouting trip, Bloomfield said. Friends were also worried about the infant's father, Stephen Giachetti, who is at the Volusia County Branch Jail on charges of battery and violation of probation.

Ron Zychowski, president/CEO of Community Partnership for Children, said the family was never referred to his agency by investigators for the state Department of Children & Families for either in-home services or to place any of the children in foster care.

It is unclear whether DCF investigators were at the home previously.

"Whenever a child dies it is a tragedy that we feel very deeply," said DCF spokesman John Harrell. "Our hearts go out to this child's family and to all those who knew the child. Child safety is the top priority of (DCF). We need to complete a thorough investigation to determine what happened."

This happened in the county i live in. I think this is freaking disgusting. My son at 5 months old was learning to sit up as are most 5 months old. So how the hell does he just drown in the bath tub? one of those women did it. I hope they get what is coming to them.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Apr 2009, 04:04
RAE 0F SUNSHiNE
This happened right down the road from a friend of mine.
There's a huge drug problem in "the avenues" as we call them. Apparently the mother had just shot up a Dilaudid and passed out.
It's sad... but unfortunately things like that happen when you're a mother and are addicted to drugs.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Apr 2009, 02:05
Bec💕
that's just awful! :-(
0 likes [|reply]
8 Apr 2009, 03:21
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
I hope they get whats coming to them, also
0 likes [|reply]
8 Apr 2009, 03:39
RealLifeComics