Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
How do I get rid of this virus?
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 05:10
Makayla
I have a virus on my computer named TR/Dropper.Gen Is anyone familiar with this virus? I know it's a trojan and it's a dropper. How can I get rid of this virus?
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 10:07
Doc
Need to know more in order to help you.

What OS are you running.... (XP, Vista, 2000, etc) and what current antivirus software do you use?

With what little I have to go by in this post, I would try running your computer in safe mode... (press F8 while it is booting up and select safe mode without networking) and run a virus scan then. It may or may not get it. You may have to manually delete some files and edit your registry. For detailed help and instructions from the experts, call toll-free (866) PCSAFETY (727-2338). This is the Microsoft virus line, the call is free if you live in the US or Canada. They can walk you though the steps for virus removal. :)

More details here... http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 16:52
Makayla
I tried running a scan in safe mode already last night. My computer seems to be better. But it's still just a little bit slower than usual. I use Windows Vista. It was popping up windows internet explorer over and over again one after the other when I clicked off the web page I was using. I am using a free antivirus program now. Avira AntiVir Personal. I will try to call the number you gave me if it is still doing it. Thanks so much for the help.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 17:04
Beautiful Lies
I had something similar happen to my computer. I would click on a link (it was a link from my universities webpage so it wasn't some random link. It was to access the class schedule) and then all of the sudden the same window would pop up over and over and over again. Even when I x'd out of everything. I would have to restart my computer just to get it to stop. My solution was to stop using Internet Explorer. It's helped so much. I haven't experienced that any more and when I run spysweeper the number of items it finds on my computer has gone down drastically.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 17:06
Makayla
Yea I would have to restart my computer too to make it stop popping up too. I thought about getting Firefox.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 17:09
Beautiful Lies
yea. It only happened twice, so I'm not sure what the deal was but I've been using Google Chrome for a while now and it's amazing!

I'm not a fan of Firefox really, but anything but Internet Explorer is a good choice for internet browsers.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 17:29
Makayla
What is Google Chrome? I've never heard of it before.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 17:34
Beautiful Lies
It's the best internet browser ever. I like it because it's so simple. There are no stupid toolbars and crap cluttering up the browser screen. It's just tabs, bookmarks and an address bar.

Go here: Click for Chrome

if the link doesn't work it's www.google.com/chrome
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 17:45
Makayla
I checked it out. It's pretty neat. I am going to try Firefox for a few days and see how I like it. If I don't like it much, I will try that one.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 22:26
Lauren.
I hated IE and I hated FF, but I LOVE Chrome. Especially if you are big on using Google like I am :P. Instead of having to have a separate Google toolbar, you can type whatever it is you want to google in the address bar and it does it :D.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 22:39
Makayla
I'm about to download Google Chrome. I have been using Firefox all day and it's getting on my nerves! lol
0 likes [|reply]
17 Mar 2009, 23:09
Makayla
What kind of Adobe Flash Player do you use for Google Chrome? I have it downloaded and using it, but when I try to download the plug-in Adobe Flash Player it asks what kind of browser I use and it only gives the option of firefox or internet explorer.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Mar 2009, 04:30
Beautiful Lies
I had adobe installed when I was using IE. So I'm assuming if you just download adobe flash player in IE and then just use Chrome, it should work fine. I haven't had any problems.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends