Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Compassion seems to be absent in this "man of go
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:41
& skull.
shouldn't the people who passed the law be punished then? surely some of these people were innocent, god abiding christians. why should they and others be punished for something they didn't do? or were they all wiped out because they were just sinners in general?
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 10:54
Broken Halo
And after reading this thread, I have to say... it is SO obvious why people have problems with Christianity. Judge not lest ye be judged yourself? I see a lot of that going on. Am I perfect, fuck no. Do I belive in God, hell yeah! But that doesnt give me the right to look down on someone who doesn't Jim? We were put here to teach the word, not shove it down someone's throat until they end up not believing at all.
Oh, and PLEASE tell me Im not going to heaven cause I used fuck and hell in this message... I cant wait to prove you wrong ;)
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 12:58
†BrotherJim™
BAsh me if you choose............but the fact is that the scripture needs to be proclaimed and even the parts that offend. Imagine standing at the river and hearing John the Baptist preach. Did he as you would say in your words shove the word down someones throat. I think many would say he did and yet the Lord Himself called him the greatest amongst all of the prophets...In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah when he said, "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord; make his paths straight.'" Now John wore a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then Jerusalem and all Judea and all the region about the Jordan were going out to him, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not presume to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father,' for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." (Matthew 3:1-12)

I can imagine that those words are quite offensive to people yet you know what some of them came to know the Lord, forsook their sin and were baptized. An yes calls man to be Holy and live a life that is holy and outright rebellion to that without even a hint of remorse is detestable before him. Do I need to quote Romans as he speaks to this very problem of people who know their sin and do not repent, in fact do not care at all and God gives them over to their debased minds.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (Romans 1:18-32)

"There is no fear of God before their eyes." (Romans 3:18)

0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:40
& skull.
just out of curiosity, do you know the entire bible off by heart, or do you have to google bits that are appropriate to responses?
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:41
~*Pagan*~
I'm thinking google ;) however did people sprout scripture before the internets? :P
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:44
†BrotherJim™
Never and if you knew me at all or asked any of my friends God has gifted me in the ability to speak and I have been given some degree of a gift to memorize great deals of scripture of at least to recall the stories and teachings found in the Bible.

Believe it or not I actually study...go figure.lol :)
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:45
~*Pagan*~
Believe it or not I too have read the bible...I used to be a cathlaholic many years ago.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:47
†BrotherJim™
I can believe it. Contrary to what you might think. I have no animousity to you, your views etc. I would like to have conversation where there is mutual respect though not always mutual agreement.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:49
~*Pagan*~
Thats what I prefer as well, we are adults and should be able to behave as such. No one gains from insulting each other.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:50
†BrotherJim™
That being said, lets make an oath among us to agree to be respectful even if we disagree. I know I will honor it. I really am not that bad a guy though I am opinionated lol
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:52
~*Pagan*~
Sounds like a plan. We dont gain or learn anything by volleying insults back and forth..you cant covert me..I wont even try to convert you ;) but we CAN share points of view.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:42
†BrotherJim™
Do I know the whole Bible by heart....oh do I wish I was gifted with that but I do spend a great deal of time in the Word and have for years. Do I google responses No, I use the tool God has given me and the scriptures I have come to know and love and that speak to me. I love the Word so it is easy to immerse myself in it.
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 13:44
& skull.
i was just curious. my dad knows quite a chunk of it off by heart, but that's his job. i think he even knows sections in greek from when he had to translate it in uni :S lol.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 03:12
Meghans Follie
If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Can I just say that no where does it say I will burn a nation, or allow 9/11 to happen or anything else. Instead it states the opp. Its an offering of a blessing. Not the threat of a curse.

Not to mention shall we not forget that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 04:39
†BrotherJim™
Now the question has to be consider as this is a conditional promise based on the "If" on whether our nation has or will repent from their wicked ways. From what I have read in the newspaper and consider the liberal agenda I would say the undeniable answer is no we have repented nor will we in the foreseeable future lest be a miracle of God. Now as to the impeding of this verse though God did mention a curse he does clearly indicate that the blessings of God would be withheld due to our wickedness.

Finally because all have sinned does not take away from the fact that we are called to repent, turn away and turn to God as stated again in this verse. Need I also state that Paul teaches clearly that the unregenteted man is slave to his sin nature but for the born again believer he is no longer enslaved to sin but choose out of a clear knowledge of the truth of God.

Just some things to consider.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 04:48
Meghans Follie
The point is - that if we are to beleive that God will cause/allow a fire to kill innocent people - who have nothing to do with goverment decisions - as this preacher is claiming has happened, then we have to completely forget about 1 jhn 1:9 as well as well as any text that refers to his mercy.

If someone is going to claim that God seeks revenge on a random scale - then one could say that the 3 people already killed tonight in my city were done so as revenge by God for someone else sinning. Thats now how the God I worship does things.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 05:09
†BrotherJim™
I posted a huge note in response but Bloop freaking lost it in cyberspace........this sucks.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 11:05
~RedFraggle~
^^ Maybe that was God's way of telling you to let it go. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 13:38
†BrotherJim™
or the devils way of holding me back...j/k :)
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 05:11
†BrotherJim™
Quick response because I don't want to retype that whole thing....God allows the sufferings of people all the time in many places and in many different ages, nor does God cause anything like this even if you believe that it is divine judgment it would be based on man's choice to rebel and not repent that was the causation of the judgment.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 03:29
love♥nik
.... Really starting to hate religion. All religion, not just Christianity. They just get more publicity it seems. @_@
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 03:39
~*Pagan*~
I think thats perhaps because the Christians are more vocal about their beliefs. Me...I STILL get looks and "Are you REALLY a witch? Thats so cool!!" Explaining spirituality that is not sought for its coolnedd factor :P but because it is the path I personally am on is still a drama:P so its easier a lot of the time not to make it so obvious.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 03:49
love♥nik
Yeah. I went to a VERY conservative school (where I knew ppl might've said the EXACT same things that have been said in this thread and by that guy) for 10 years but after leaving it just didn't seem to match w/ what was going on w/ the world. Too many unanswered questions and way too much pain that everyone suffers.

However, I did meet some of the most amazing ppl there who were completely different from the guy who said shit like that. I know that they'd hear the news about stuff like this and their hearts would be bleeding from it. So both ends of the spectrum; the loving ones just tend to get more flack it seems from the crazy ones.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 04:57
~*Pagan*~
Its the usualy story tho....I have a friend who used to say she had no problem with Jesus..it was his Fan(atic) club she didnt get along with.

As with any belief, its the fanatics who make the rest look bad.

I used to work with a guy who was the same religion as this idiot pastor, and he was a committed and devout teenager (he was 19) who I held great admiration for because he didnt allow peer pressure to force him into going against his beliefs. So even this particular church is not full of bad people, just had some idiots with big mouths and no brains.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 04:59
love♥nik
Exactly. It's the few that make it horrible for the rest. -_-
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends