[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Political Debate
Page:  1 
Opinion on Adkin & Ryan on Rape & Incest
0 likes [|reply]
23 Aug 2012, 16:08
SoA
Here's my opinion:

Why do some, note I said SOME, Republicans believe they have the right to decide what I do with MY body? And are they really so stupid as to believe that a child has never been conceived by rape, of any form, or incest? I honestly feel sorry for any daughters, sisters, or granddaughters they may have. I especially don't get how a woman could support these views. We are not cattle to be prodded or tagged & used for how ever a man sees fit. Why are women trying to push us back in to the days when we did as our husbands said & allowed, when we had no say? When our opinion on anything was what ever our husbands opinion was. I, for one, will not be told how to think, how to vote, how to dress, when to have sex, how many babies I have by some man that knows nothing of a woman's body other than what hole to stick his limp dick in.

I wish I could say I'm sorry if this offends anyone but no. Not anymore, too many women fought for my right to speak my mind & have my own opinion & I'll be damned if I give that up with out a damn fight!
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 02:33
lithium layouts.
You filed this under 'Political Debate', but there's no debate about it. What these men have been saying is utterly ridiculous and stupid and stone-aged. Makes me want to vomit.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 06:12
SoA
@Lithium I filed it under this in the off chance of someone disagreeing with my opinion or anyone else's opinion on the subject. And I have to agree with the rest of your comment. It is extremely stupid.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Aug 2012, 16:24
*Forever Changing*
My husband is a product of rape. His moms stepdad raped her basically from the time he moved in (6) until she got pregnant (17). She never thought about having an abortion, she gave birth to him and raised him, and I am so thankful she did. It takes a strong woman to do what she did. He looks JUST like his father. He is a reminder to her every day of what happened, and yet to her, he is her sunshine. She said he was the one thing good in her life at that moment and he saved her.

But...remember "legitimate rape victims dont get pregnant". Sigh.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 06:15
SoA
I'm glad to see his mother was able to be an extremely strong woman & push past the physical reminder by her son looking like his father & raising him, instead of blaming him. I met a girl when I was a senior in high school. She was a 14yr old freshman & about 7 1/2 months pregnant when I met her. Her boyfriend was 22yrs old. Last I had heard after hearing her say "We're gonna be a family. He can't wait to take care of us & have our family begin" he had run off to Texas or some southern state he had family in & left her on her own. Her parents never pressed charges. I just don't understand how a parent couldn't do that. It's rape, no matter if she said yes or not.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Aug 2012, 18:03
Mommy to 3+1
REGARDLESS of your opinion on abortion as an option or not, the idea that a woman cannot or rarely gets pregnant from "legitimate rape" just shows how absolutely IGNORANT some people are. "Oh, you got pregnant? You must not have been legitimately raped. You must have actually wanted it." Yeah, let's go back to the days of blaming the woman for her own rape or saying that her no must have actually meant yes.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Aug 2012, 20:34
*Forever Changing*
You would be surprised some people do not actually believe in rape. They think its regret reporting. When I worked at the rape crisis center one lady told me about her daughter who was raped at 5 by her father. The lady told me "if she hadnt been dressing like a tramp it wouldnt have happened". Its a sick world out there.
0 likes [|reply]
23 Aug 2012, 21:36
Mommy to 3+1
There are no words. 'Ugh' is about all I can manage.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 02:34
lithium layouts.
@ *Forever Changing* hold on (and forgive me if I interpreted this incorrectly)... the lady you spoke to was the mother, and said her OWN daughter was dressing as a tramp??? Um, if you're 5 years old, who's dressing the child? The child or the mother??? What the??
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 03:16
*Forever Changing*
You are correct. That's why I quit. I got sick of hearing that only whores got raped or that there was no such thing as rape. Its disgusting.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2012, 04:15
raen
I find it difficult to comprehend people not "believing" in rape. Rape is a fact; it happens. It's not some mythical or invisible entity that people always say they've seen but no one truly has proof. It happens every single day to both men and women and it appalls me that people can just say it's not real and that women can't get pregnant if they were truly raped. Gah...makes me so angry.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Sep 2012, 20:05
*Forever Changing*
@Tiffany. I completely agree with you. I could not deal with the simple ignorance and complete victim blaming I would hear when I worked for the rape crisis center. I had one woman who put me over the edge. I quit my job that day, because as a survivor, you cannot simply look at me and tell me that rape does not happen, that women who claim to be raped are just women who are remorseful about the sex they had and the little kids who have been abused brought it on themselves by the clothes they wore or the way they acted. I cannot do the rape crisis center any good when it comes to educating people when my emotions are getting in the way.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 06:22
SoA
@Mommy to 3+1: I couldn't agree more. I know I have friends that aren't pro-choice, like me & that's fine. It's THEIR right to do with their body as they see fit. We need to stop blaming the victims, a lot of times this is why victims don't come forward. Lets stop putting them through more trauma & be there for them. Last thing we need is for the laws protecting rape victims to go backward. After all, look at how many years it took for the courts to recognize that a wife DOES have the right to tell her husband no.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 01:26
ღPhoenix
@ forever changing dressing like a tramp.....at 5? is that even possible? its stuff like THAT that makes me so sad for this world.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Aug 2012, 03:33
Winged Centaur
http://captainawkward.com/2012/08/07/322-323-my-friend-group-has-a-case-of-the-creepy-dude-how-do-we-clear-that-up/

I can't be arsed to remember how to link in forums, but this is a good read on rape culture that is parallel to the topic at hand.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2012, 20:24
fifty shades.
we need more women in the government with power.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2012, 20:25
fifty shades.
more like we need more women in politics that have a say in things.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Aug 2012, 20:40
*Forever Changing*
No, the correct answer is we need more women with common sense in politics lol. There are women who agree with these knuckleheads.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Aug 2012, 05:24
SoA
@*Forever Changing*: Sooooooo true
0 likes [|reply]
4 Sep 2012, 16:45
Fiat
I am 100% pro-life in 100% of circumstances, and I (as well as those women and men who share my views) found Akin's comments to be completely inappropriate, incorrect, and disturbing. Don't let Akin's political gaffe paint the picture of all pro-life people, because few of us agree with his comments in the least.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Sep 2012, 20:24
SoA
That's why I tried to keep my opinion from grouping everyone together with him. My Dad's a Republican but I know he doesn't agree with Akin(thank you for the correct spelling; I keep writing the country singers name) so I know not all Republicans or Pro-Life supports are going to agree. I went back and re read what i wrote and realized I didn't do a great job in making aware that I wasn't grouping all Pro-Life supports, so I apologize for that. I was mainly speaking of those that agree soley with everything Akin said in regards to "legetimate rape".
0 likes [|reply]
4 Sep 2012, 17:14
Fiat
By the way, the name is "Akin," not "Adkin" as it states in the title.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends