Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Books
Post the first sentence of the book you are curr
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 00:53
serendipity.
My mother began me one evening in 1968 on a table in the cafe of the town's only cinema.

The Accidental by Ali Smith
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 04:34
thedinosaurgoesrawr
"As most New Yorkers have done, I have given serious and generous thought to the state of my apartment should I get killed during the day."

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 05:42
Poetic Justice
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

Neuromancer by William Gibson
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 06:09
i blame mac
"On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though hesitation, towards K. Bride."

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
0 likes [|reply]
13 Feb 2009, 20:31
sumamen
"Jack Torrance thought: officious little prick."

The Shining written by Stephen King

0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 09:26
Miss Murder
ive just finished that - its awesome lol. Im not reading anything at the moment though...
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2009, 05:27
tumbling;echo xx
For fun: "They're always the same. Always at night, in the forest, looking for Drea."

Blue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria Stolarz

For class: "Hot, thought the Parisians. The warm air of spring."

Suite Française by Iréne Némirovsky
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2009, 13:53
karma.
"Where I come from everything is gray."

private by kate brian ;P
0 likes [|reply]
14 Feb 2009, 19:42
Would you rather know what's going to happen? Or not know?

i actually just finished this book. it took me like a day.
it's incredibly sad but it really keeps your attentions...

it's called Would You by Marthe Jocelyn
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 00:54
Ashley Winter
"Dear aunt Tally, when I asked my mom for your email address, she just laughed and told me you didn't have one, but I know she's just joking, right?"

Cruel Summer by Alyson Noel
very good book!
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 02:49
jessicaツ
It was so quiet, one of the killers would later say, you could almost hear the sound of ice rattling in cocktail shakers in homes way down the canyon.

Helter Skelter

It's taking me forever to read it, too!

0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 10:21
& skull.
"rage goddess, sing the rage of peleus' son achilles".
the iliad, by homer.

read it before, but my boyfriend has no electronics to keep me entertained, so i keep my books there ;D
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 18:57
Just another Sarah
"The Great Gray Beast of February had eaten Harvey Swick alive."

The Thief of Always; Cliver Barker.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 20:45
Super Logica
Tell me, Muse, of that man, so ready at need, who wandered far and wide, after he sacked the sacred citadel of Troy, and many were the men whose towns he saw and whose mind he learnt, yea, and many the woes he suffered in his heart upon the deep, striving to win his own life and the return of his company.
The Odyssey - Homer. I have been reading this book for 2 months, and it is soooo long and boring!

Imagination without reason is mere fancy, but reason without imagination is sterile.
The Pig that Wants to be Eaten, and 99 other thought experiments - Julian Baggini.

During an early spring trip to Shenandoah National Park, my sons and I got caught in an unexpected snowstorm."
Hey Ranger - Jin Burnett

I like to read more than one book at once, otherwise I get bored! I just finished the Bloop Book Club book, so I'll prob be starting another one tomorrow!
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 16:13
& skull.
the odyssey! yay! aww, you find it boring? wow 2 months? god, does it make me a nerd for only taking a week?
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 19:33
Super Logica
well obv. i have not been reading it continuously! that would make me the slowest reader ever! I read like a chapter, and then abandon the book for a week because i don't care about the story. then i tell myself i ought to finish it, and go read another chapter etc., It's not that the plot is boring, its just that i already know the story, so reading the book isn't all "ooo what is going to happen next?".
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 19:39
& skull.
lol, yeah i guess that's a pretty big deterrent to wanting to read a book. i knew the basic outline via my dad and oh brother where art thou, but i still wanted to read it. i'm pretty into ancient stories though. i might re-read my sophocles plays after i'm done with the iliad. i quite enjoy how descriptive of violence homer is, but perhaps my wiki'ing of serial killers is having an affect on me.
0 likes [|reply]
15 Feb 2009, 22:37
kid at heart.
"Alice sat at her desk in their bedroom distracted by the sounds of John racing through each of the rooms on the first floor." by Lisa Genova.

It's about a woman who is becomes diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 01:05
kid at heart.
Errr..and it's called Still Alice. That information would have been helpful :P.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 03:43
puffer kitteh
" William Darby, Viscount Summerfield, Baron Ivers, rode the last mile to Wentworth Hall full bore."
:o The name of the book is The Dangers of Deceiving a Viscount By Julia London.
Basically it's a love story involving scandle it's a great book :).
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 16:04
†BrotherJim™
In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth.
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 16:05
†BrotherJim™
oops I forgot to tell the book and the author...........THE HOLY BIBLE.........AUTHOR: GOD
0 likes [|reply]
16 Feb 2009, 23:46
.Love.Freely.
"Three years earlier, on a warm November morning in 1999, Adrienne Willis had returned to the Inn and at first glance thought it unchanged, as if the small Inn were impervious to sun and sand and salted mist." Nights In Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

just started reading it tonight.
0 likes [|reply]
17 Feb 2009, 04:50
i already posted in here.. with a book i had just finished.
buuutt, i went to the library today =D

i just started deadville by ron koertge.

and my first sentence is I'm washing my hands in the bathroom a couple of doors down from the principal's office.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Feb 2009, 22:26
Ufie Dufie
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends