Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Suggestion Box
Page:  1 
Idea for the development of the blocking feature
0 likes [|reply]
30 Nov 2011, 10:58
Estella
Gosh, I have a great idea, yo. You know when someone blocks you and it says 'This diarist has blocked you'? Well, wouldn't it be more fun if the diarist could personalise this message, so it's not in the third person? Like, you'd click on a blocker and get a personal note from them to you. Like 'Mwahahahah! I blocked your sorry ass because you can't spell!' Or 'Soz, yo! Had to do it! You were annoying the hell outta me!' Or 'You are not really blocked. This is just a figment of your imagination!'

Gosh, imagine the potential! People would be using it all the time and taking great delight in it! Bloop numbers would soar! The teens would be back in droves!

Like, obviously there would have to be some regulations. If the blocker was hardcore bad and decided to use a cuss word, then there'd be some Bloop coding to change it to something innocuous. The f-word could be changed to feather. The c-word to cherry. So anyone who went overboard would end up with a message changed to 'I feathering blocked you, you feathering cherry, so feather the feather off, cherry-breath!'

You gotta admit - people would love it. They'd be blocking people all the time, and then unblocking them when someone blocks them back with a rude retort, just so that they could block them again with a new insult. Something fun to do when they're bored of writing entries and all.

What say you, Bloopers?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Nov 2011, 17:50
Emily the Strange
It's a great idea. 100% behind it. But then, I wish if someone blocked you (not because you're FO), they had the option of leaving you a message in your inbox when they block you. I know I'd love to collect those kinds of love notes. haha
0 likes [|reply]
30 Nov 2011, 17:59
Estella
Haha - I suppose there's nothing stopping them doing that if they want. All 'Hai! Just to let you know I'm blocking you cuz it's totally disrespectful and mean to leave me a comment disagreeing with the strong opinion I was expressing in my RC entry. How very dare you! Have a nice day. kthxbai!'

Actually, a few people have done that to me in the past (for that very reason too - and with the 'Have a nice day'!) - sent me some ranting message and then blocked me. Although they generally didn't announce the blocking. Back in the day, I just made a second diary - 'Estella II' or something - and continued the convo!
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 04:47
Beautiful Lies
Hey Emily, I just wanted to let you know that I blocked you because I don't appreciate you leaving your sensible opinions in my diary. If I think that abortion should be considered murder, it's the truth. I mean, I'm speaking words straight from God's mouth. Just so you know.

Now imagine that misspelled and in "text speak." Sorry I couldn't write it that way, it started to make my eye twitch.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 15:14
Emily the Strange
LOL And that's the story of how Meesa made me a lesbian.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 04:27
lithium layouts.
lol! Cherry-breath!
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 04:56
Jessica
I like the idea! Maybe like a drop-down box with different reasons would work? with an 'other' option?

To elaborate on the idea, it would be nice to have something of the sort with full FO diaries as well - like a personalized message to be like 'hey, I'm on friends only, you're not blocked!' etc. Which I know you'd be able to do on MO/FO... but I know some people like the full on security of FO.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 07:23
Estella
@Jellyka - FO diaries normally have that message, don't they. Like, not a personalised one from the diarist, obviously, but the message you get when clicking is that the diarist only lets a select number of people view, and to ask if you'd like to be added. No one would think they're blocked from that. But I suppose a personalised message might make people more likely to ask.

Makes more sense to be MOFO though, if someone is wanting interaction and is open to new friends. I'm not really sure what extra security being completely FO has, unless a person has really personal info on their front page. Which they surely don't need if they're FO anyway, as front page info is a way of introducing oneself to new readers - like random people happening upon one's diary and wondering whether to read. Which doesn't happen if you're FO!

It would be kinda fun if an equivalent to FO FO v MO FO existed in blocking. Like you could be totally blocked, or simply MO Blo - so you'd see your blocker's FP, and maybe one entry (saying 'Ha! You're blocked!' ;D), but nothing else!
0 likes [|reply]
30 Nov 2011, 13:46
Hidden Depths
rofl... I especially love the feathering cherry rant. This could have potential ;D
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 05:17
Eye.Lee.Uh
i like the idea too :D
0 likes [|reply]
1 Dec 2011, 05:44
once.upon.a.time.
Haha! Love it :P
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends