Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
'Having a stroke made me gay'
0 likes [|reply]
25 Sep 2011, 13:05
Estella
Young lad had a stroke, and discovered he no was no longer attracted to women. Suddenly hot men were turning him on. He ditched his fiancee and started a relationship with a guy. He no longer likes sport, which he loved before his stroke, and has quit his job and become a hairdresser.

Read all about it
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 01:42
lithium layouts.
That is fascinating! And totally plausible too - the personality changes sound like changes to his frontal lobe, and the change in sexual orientation sounds like a change in the third interstitial nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus. =D
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 08:33
Estella
@lithium layouts Aha - I knew you'd know the parts of the brain that would create such a change! I agree it's totally plausible. I think a few gay people are offended at it, saying that sexuality is more complex and deep-rooted than a simply blood clot to the brain, but of course, changes to the brain make huge changes to who a person is, in all kinds of complex ways.
0 likes [|reply]
25 Sep 2011, 17:15
♥Mars.Foxx
wow. that's sad and good i think? i hope his family can come to know and love him. its really weird this happened but it doesn't look like hes just trying to get attention and he sounds happy.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 05:06
Betch.
XD to play devil's advocate...lmfao he could just be using his stroke as a crutch. Lol I'm pretty certain he was gay his whole life, at least bisexual, and is just crying "STROKE TURNED MEH GAYYYYY" as a way to not tie himself to a woman for the rest of his life.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 07:05
lithium layouts.
@Betch: That is also true. xD
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 08:38
Estella
@Betch. Or another possibility is the stroke affected his frontal lobe, and thus reduced his inhibition, making him less bothered by what people think, and therefore freer to express who he is. The article does say 'The old Chris might have cared what ­people thought but the new Chris didn’t'. So yes, he could equally have always been gay but hiding it before - either just from others or in denial to himself too.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 08:13
♥Mars.Foxx
i forgot he was engaged, how sad for her, to think she was worried about him while he was recovering and then to just not be his love anymore. that would be a bit devastating =/
0 likes [|reply]
26 Sep 2011, 08:40
Estella
@DELB Yes, that is sad for her. Although from what I understand of the article, they'd actually split up before the accident anyway, although possibly they would have got back together.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Sep 2011, 04:45
Betch.
@ puck-a-doodle-doo, That's pretty much what i'm thinking. I mean, totes possible that it affected his frontal lobe, more more likely i think he just had an epiphany. Maybe the stroke gave him a reality bitch-slap, he realized just how little time we really have in life, and found the courage to come out openly and freely. EITHER WAY, he's happy now, and that's really all that matters.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Sep 2011, 12:08
& skull.
well the brain is a strange thing. whenever i read stuff like this the only thing i ever remember from taking psych at school was the bloke that had a pipe shoot straight through his head. didn't die, but changed his personality completely.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Sep 2011, 13:52
lithium layouts.
@Ev - Phineas Gage!! Yeah that was an awesome story. =D
0 likes [|reply]
28 Sep 2011, 06:45
& skull.
you'd think i'd remember such an awesome name.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Sep 2011, 23:29
Emily the Strange
@Ev: Yeah, but I have to wonder how much just the experience of having a pipe through your head alone would change you. I personally would believe I was immortal. lol
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends