Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Your child looks scruffy
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2011, 07:06
K♥Blah
Wooooooooooooow all time low for this school.

Alright 1. Your child doesn't look scruffy, I was just out of title ideas
2. This school has been in trouble in the past because it first tried to ban hugging and then it tried to inforce lunch box checks (or the other way around..either way they are media whores with all the antics they get up to!)

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/william-duncan-state-school-bans-children-from-rolling-up-sleeves-on-jumpers/story-e6frg12c-1226107177394

THE Gold Coast primary school that tried to ban hugging is now cracking down on students rolling up their sleeves.
William Duncan State School has added an unofficial rule that bans rolling up jumper sleeves, to its strict uniform policy.

The new rule, announced at the Highland Park school's assembly yesterday morning, has angered Amanda Craig, whose son Jayden attends the school.

"I went: 'You've got to be kidding' and a lady from the P&C standing near me said: 'It doesn't look right'," she said.

What do you think of this rule? Tell us in the comments box below
Principal Regan Gant reportedly rolled up his own sleeves after making the announcement and said: "I don't like this look. It looks scruffy."

The school last year warned against hugging, which parents said was political correctness gone mad. It backed down from the ban days later, after an intense backlash from parents and media scrutiny.
Yesterday Mr Gant did not respond directly but regional education director Glen Hoppner said Education Queensland supported the right of principals to enforce a dress code.

Read more on this issue in The Gold Coast Bulletin

Just for the record - I do this and I'm 24. It might be too hot to where a hoodie, but too cold it take it off - so I slouch up the sleeves which keeps me warm. I know in Australia PRIVATE schools have strict dress codes, which is fine - if it's a written dress code rule, fine. But this is a PUBLIC government school with no pre-written (or currently written) dress code rule. It's a verbal, unofficial rule that some principal brought in out of the blue.

Ok...it does look kind of scruffy, but - they are primary school children, in a public school....if my school experience was anything to go by - I was running around playing soccer during my lunch break...if anything rolled up sleeves were the least of anyones concerns. Scratched knees, muddy faces and a blood nose or two look 100x more scruff then sleeves being slouched up.

I remember my school banned girls from wearing black shorts underneath our skirts. I hated that rule. Especially because I played netball (similar to basketball) and with all the jumping around and stuff, I didn't want people to see my underwear, I was 11, but I still didn't want to be jumping all over the place having my underwear on display!

My opinion on this topic has always been - if it's an official, written rule, fine follow it. But these unofficial, unwritten rules are just bogus. If unwritten, unofficial rules are punishable yet enforceable...I hereby ban bloopers from wearing blue
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 04:58
Winged Centaur
Did they only ban black shorts, or did they ban all shorts? That seems very odd. I wore bloomers under all my dresses, because I liked to hang upside down on the monkey bars, dress or no. ;D

This seems like a very strange rule. The strangest thing is the hard core crack down on small children, who probably don't understand a dress code in the first place.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 05:20
K♥Blah
All Shorts! When the netball team started up - all the girls started wearing netball skirts to school which was fine and allowed, but we all knew about the "no shorts under skirts or dresses" rule, so we all started buying (well our parents bought them) what we called "scungies", yep it's an Australian slang term that doesn't sound great, but basically you wore them over your underwear. They were longer then underwear but MUCH shorter than shorts. I guess the comparison would be spankies(?) the things cheerleaders wear under their skirts. But yeh, the teachers soon clued on to us wearing them and said no to them aswell. Pretty sure we kept wearing them anyway because it wasn't exactly a rule they could enforce or monitor. What were they going to do, lift up our skirts every morning and check? I think there would have been a bit of backlash if they tried.

It definitely sounds stupid now that I'm typing it out, I mean even at 11 it seemed stupid. The "Scungies" were basically underwear and it's not like they could be seen. I don't know what the big deal about it was.

I said it on another forum thread and I'll say it again, once upon a time teachers were more concerned about actually TEACHING the important subjects, they didn't worry about stupid things like this.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 05:33
Winged Centaur
Yeah, those sound like bloomers. I just don't understand the logic behind not allowing girls to wear additional clothing underneath their skirts. It's very ladylike and conservative to wear something like bloomers, so that there is no chance whatsoever of someone seeing your underwear. Plus, how would the teachers know you were wearing them in the first place? Either they were working and hiding the underwear from view in those moments of physical activity (which is good!) or they were checking (which is bad). Gosh, the lack of logic is astounding and yet this is only one example of many of the silliness.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 05:35
Meghans Follie
Bloomers? Your deff of the word please to help us poor Americans better understand.. To me "bloomers" are an item of clothing my American Girl doll had for under her dress that came down to her knees and were baggy
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 05:37
Meghans Follie
NM i just hadnt read far enough down the thread yet. Sorry. I understand what they are now ;-p
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 05:46
Winged Centaur
Those are also Bloomers. They've gotten smaller though, over the years.

http://www.bessiemary.com/uploads/White%20knit%20bloomers.jpg

Those are similar to the ones my mom made me. Basically fluffy shorts.

Honestly, I still wear bloomers, especially when I wear lolita. My bloomers are much longer (usually just under the hemline), because it would be highly inappropriate for my thighs to show when I'm wearing my nice dresses.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2011, 07:15
~Aiure
BUT BLUE IS MY FAVOURITE COLOUR, HOW COULD YOU?!?!?!?!?!

*cough*

But yeah. Clearly, the principal is abusing his power (as is anyone else in the school committee that is in on the ridiculous rulings). I sincerely hope parents of these oppressed children will band together to get the power-tripping principal fired.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Aug 2011, 07:27
& skull.
pretty sure they need to get rid of this wack job of a principal.

and shit my pj's are blue. spose i'll need to get naked then lol.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 07:16
Tiger.10.Baby
Wow, that's ridicious.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 07:19
Tiger.10.Baby
How about the school focuses on education? Shorts, rolled up sleeves, ect . . . it's taking the focus away from teaching.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Aug 2011, 10:40
Estella
I'm presuming they mean 'sweater' by 'jumper' as it's not American - does Australia have the same terminology as Britain? I actually agree, if you are wearing a school uniform, with a shirt, tie and v-neck jumper (sweater), it does look scruffy to roll up the jumper sleeves. But, like, surely kids can take the jumper off if they are hot, so they are just wearing their shirt and tie? That's what I did, back in the day when I was a school-uniformed schoolgirl. We also had an unofficial rule that we shouldn't roll up jumper sleeves. That's quite normal practice with school uniforms, along with various other rules about how they should be worn, regardless of whether the school is private or state. The point of uniforms is to look smartly dressed, so looking scruffy does defeat the purpose.

Of course, kids break all the rules when they're out of the teachers' view - I remember kids slashing their ties, cutting holes into their jumpers, etc. - and then hide it when the teachers arrive. And schools do manage to focus on teaching whilst having a dress code - just like hospitals manage to focus on helping sick people get better whilst having a dress code. It's not so strange! ;D
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends