[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
TSA required cancer-stricken 95-year-old West Mi
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jun 2011, 19:57
chelseaz
Source.

This is just ridiculous. I find it so surprising that nothing about TSA has improved despite these terrible stories.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jun 2011, 21:25
The Crafting Wife
that poor old woman... :-(
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jun 2011, 21:52
Tiger.10.Baby
Really? They wanted her to take off her adult diaper? That is just wrong! This woman has cancer and they are treating her like some criminal. Security gets more and more ridiculous. I understand why we need to step up on security but I also do believe they get out of hand in certain situations. Poor woman. What next, are they going to require a female on her period to remove her pad or tampon???

The clothing issue is another messed up situation. Hear about the guy who was removed from a US Airlines for wearing baggy pants? Also hear about the old man wearing women lingerie to a airport and was allowed to come on the plane? It seems a little wrong to arrest the black guy with baggy pants because it was "inappropriate" clothing but it wasn't inappropriate for the old white man to be allowed to wear lingerie on a plane. Maybe the guy shouldn't have fought with them but it was still wrong to say his baggy pants were inappropriate. This is getting more and more ridiculous!
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jun 2011, 23:40
Winged Centaur
What's wrong with an old man wearing women's lingerie? It feels good.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 00:47
lithium layouts.
Haha, I was just thinking the same thing. xD
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 00:47
lithium layouts.
(@ Winged Centaur)
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jun 2011, 23:49
Winged Centaur
In response to the thread though, I don't think TSA did anything wrong. A search on an elderly lady probably took 45 minutes because things just go slower with old folks. She's not a spring chicken and just can't move that fast. I would be more worried if they did their search and/or screening in 5 minutes, because that would mean they went fast and rough with an old lady. Can't go fast and rough with the old ladies. ;)

I had to remove all the bobby pins from my hair when I went through air port security after my wedding. They set off the metal detector. It's part of life. The article doesn't suggest they were man handling her or being verbally rude. In fact, they let the daughter remove the adult diaper instead of the security guards. That seems like a courtesy. When I went through security with a metal belt on (the belt was sewn onto the pants, wouldn't come off), they didn't ASK me to remove my belt. They just started to unbuckle me themselves (though they were quickly foiled by the attached belt!).

Also, I'm not sure how cancer has anything to do with this situation. While it is tragic that she has cancer, I'm pretty sure that's not something the security guards would have been aware of. And they probably would have done what they did if she didn't have cancer. It's an irrelevant piece of information. They didn't pick on her because she had cancer. They did what they did because her adult diaper got in the way of their screening process. It's not good reporting to include info like that. It's beside the point.

Final note, 45 minutes through security is pretty fast actually, depending on the airport. (Atlantic takes for-fucking-ever.)
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 00:06
Winged Centaur
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 02:20
♥Mars.Foxx
that's like asking someone to remove their under wear. who would be glad to take off their undies for the TSA?? i guess if they maybe said why and what made them think there was something dangerous in the diaper id understand but i just think its crazy. also the fact that people are so ok with being treated like this is pretty scary. you think you are so much safer while your government strips you down before your flight, its just not true.

i read this in the comment after the article and couldn't agree more...

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2011, 03:52
Winged Centaur
@ DELB: In the second article (badly linked in my post), it states that in a private screening room, security told the daughter that in the pat down they felt something hard in the adult diaper.

If extra diapers had been packed, the whole issue could have been avoided.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Jul 2011, 04:56
annababe • •
I used to work at an airport, and although most TSA employees are in their late 30s and up, I have seen a few good lookin' ones. haha.
So I'm sure there are people who would be glad to take off their undies for TSA. ;o) And maybe not directly in the security line, but well..

And this article is just wrong. The poor woman. I would have felt so bad.
Would TSA ask a mother or father to remove the diaper of their baby? Uhm, doubtfully. So what is the difference?!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 02:49
Beautiful Lies
I just don't understand it. After 9-11 we started profiling. Then everyone got all pissy at that and demanded that we treat everyone equally. Now that we treat everyone equally in theses situations (i.e. like in this story) everyone gets all pissy again. Come one people!
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 03:16
♥Mars.Foxx
for me being treated equally isn't the issue. i was randomly searched to and from Oklahoma, i saw the distinction on my tickets and didn't have a problem with it. they swabbed my shoes and even unloaded my whole carry on. i didn't mind. they were profession and generally nice. my issue is what could be hiding in her diaper that isn't in everyone's under wear? i don't think they singled her out i just think they went way to far making her have her daughter take her diaper off.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jun 2011, 03:24
Beautiful Lies
Well perhaps if people didn't try to board planes with plastic explosives in their underwear this wouldn't be an issue. It only takes one person to spoil it for everyone ;).
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2011, 04:04
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
9/11 hasn't given TSA free license to pretty much do whatever they please and say "Sorry sir/ma'm, it's a matter of national safety." Give me a break. I especially loved how TSA officials think they are conducting their procedures respectfully. I guess TSA has a different definition for respect than the rest of us.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jun 2011, 05:01
♥Mars.Foxx
I did miss that WC. It's better they explained the issue. I dunno. I haven't ever been pat down but I think if they felt my butt that much I think I'd be upset. I understand the seriousness of their job. We have seen what happens when things go wrong. I just can't stand by and smile like the things they are doing are ok and exceptable. something has to improve but I don't have the best answer =\
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jul 2011, 04:24
Betch.
...i dunno about this. I want to be like "RAAWWWRR OFFENDED" because i mean..she IS ninety some odd years old so to give her THAT EXTENSIVE of a screening seems like it was probably just a TAD overboard. But i also can't see anyone, TSA agent or not, leaping at the chance to pat down strip search an old lady. To get to the bare, unsympathetic bones of it, old people are gross as hell more often than not, and i'm PRETTY SURE no one would be like "take off that diaper, old lady!" unless they were PRETTY FREAKIN SURE they would get in trouble for not doing so. And not for nothing, but if this was my mother, i sure as BALLS would not sell this story to the media. "ELDERLY WOMAN IS ASKED TO REMOVE HER ADULT DIAPER THAT SHE TOTALLY WEARS" that to me seems humiliating above and beyond anything a TSA agent could have put her through. I dunno. Not to mention i dont buy anything i read on the internet lol.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends