Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Tampa Palms Mom Accused of Killing Her 2 Teens
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2011, 05:15
F C U K
Yes it's true, NO I DIDN'T KNOW THEM. I don't recgonize them from shopping in my store either...

This is odd, stuff like that never happens on this side of town and when minor stuff does happen we don't hear about it. This is in MY NEIGHBORHOOD, well not exactly my part of Tampa Palms but still my neighborhood, less than a mile out.

TAMPA | A 50-year-old woman who complained that her two teenage children were mouthy was accused Friday of shooting them to death at their home in Tampa Palms, police said.

Murder scene

1km
1mi
©2011 Yahoo! Inc.

Click to enlarge
Police investigate the scene of a reported double killing at 16305 Royal Park Court in Tampa Palms on Friday afternoon.
Buy photo
MELISSA LYTTLE | ST. PETERSBURG TIMES

Julie Powers Schenecker faces two charges of first-degree murder in the deaths of Calyx Schenecker, 16, and Beau Schenecker, 13, said police spokeswoman Laura McElroy.

Schenecker admitted the killings, McElroy said.

The father of the children is Army Col. Parker Schenecker, 48, who is stationed at Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base. He was overseas and was notified that his wife had killed their children at their home, 16305 Royal Park Court, police said.

"I don't think there's an explanation that could make us understand," McElroy said. "She did tell us that they talk back and they were mouthy."

The shooting occurred Thursday evening. Police say that at about 7 p.m., Julie Schenecker armed herself with a .38-caliber pistol that she had purchased Saturday and shot her son twice in the head "for talking back to her" as she drove him to soccer practice, an arrest affidavit states.

She left him in the garage and went upstairs, where she shot her 16-year-old daughter in the back of the head while she did homework on the computer, the affidavit states.

The children were not found until Friday morning, when a police officer responded to the house after an out-of-state relative became concerned when the family couldn't be reached, police said.

No one answered at the house. At the back door, a police officer found the mother covered in blood. Inside, police found the bodies of the children and a note from the mother detailing how she would kill her children and then herself.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20110128/NEWS/110129748?Title=Tampa-Palms-Mom-Accused-of-Killing-Her-2-Teens&tc=ar
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jan 2011, 02:43
mixie
Haha, I posted about this in my diary, too. This happened just a couple of blocks away from my condo back home.

Too bad everyone likes to talk shit instead of feeling bad for a clearly mentally sick woman.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jan 2011, 03:01
F C U K
@mixie

Ahhh yeah it happened on the same block as the family I used to baby-sit for, my brother drove by there last night... there was a car in front looked like a news van and all the lights were on. The son looks familiar to me now, I KNOW I've seen him, probably at pubelix... the woman doesn't but something about the kids always sticks with me better than the parents anyway. I can't believe that though, the only thing I can think about that has happened as close to as BAD as this was the time in Hunters Green where a man murdered his wife in the front yard and shot himself inside the house afterward, while the kids were away for the weekend because SHE wanted a divorce, that was maybe 2/3 years ago. Ahhh you lived in New Tampa before, you KNOW that news doesn't get around here much unless it's REALLY BAD. [That or I don't pay attention much]

I've had a friend who was driving on the back roads of Tampa Palms BLVD toward CVS and she saw a CSI squad by a lake one time, they found a body in the canal that was half eaten by an alligator before, someone dumped it right by one of the apartment complexes and that was never in the news.

Also the STRONG drug activity on my street done by the Freedom kids lol cops are down here constantly, it's like they want to keep things all "leave it to beaver" which is what this place looks like.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jan 2011, 03:14
mixie
Whoa, I never heard about this body!!! Which side was it on? I lived right by CVS... in Oxford Place. Still have a condo there. My dad's renting it out to some whore (quite literally, when I moved out she was sleeping with some guy for pills) that was dealing out of the apartment- which is why I moved out. Anyway... yeah. I didn't know them, either. I didn't really know anyone around there. I grew up in Sterling Manor right behind your store, then I moved away to Town N Country and Wesley Chapel for a couple of years before buying my condo.

But. You know... that's exactly the thing!!! Suburbia is where this stuff happens! Especially if her husband has been gone awhile, there may have been no one around to realize how sick she actually was. Her kids probably knew, but who listens to a teenager when they say their mom is crazy?
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jan 2011, 08:02
.Blue Bella.
I don't feel bad for any woman (or man) who kills their kids. I don't care how mentally sick they are.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jan 2011, 15:18
brooke !
Same here.. Like, I can't fathom living without my kids now that they are here.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jan 2011, 23:29
mixie
:( That's the kind of person I'm afraid of. I didn't get help for my mental illness for over a decade, because I was terrified that I would be judged by my "sickness." That people think I was faking it, making excuses for my actions. That they would accuse me of not having a "real" illness. Luckily, not everyone in the world is incapable of empathy or seeking ways to help others that need and want to be helped.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Feb 2011, 00:25
.Blue Bella.
As the child of a woman with mental illness, I am probably the last person to preach to about not seeking help. She didn't for years. She never killed anyone.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Feb 2011, 00:34
mixie
Okay.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Feb 2011, 21:36
queenbutterfly
I didn't realize anyone was preaching to anyone on this forum.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Feb 2011, 00:35
F C U K
@Mixie you know where Chelsea and Buckingham are? The road that crosees to the YMCA & CVS? There is a gated condo complex right before that road? it was near that one, I keep forgetting the name! It's between two canals.. it was the second canal not the first, it's painted blue or purple I believe.....

I live in Wyndham... again but not with my parents.

Dude our neighborhood has a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Palms,_Tampa,_Florida

The lady that shot her kids lives in or around Arlington.

I know Tampa is incredibly f----- up. I heard it's been in the paper everyday since it happened, I shall find a current article. I normally STAY OUT of the papers and the news because I cannot take what I hear, anxiety.
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jan 2011, 14:21
CrystalsLost
I'm listening to my regular Morning Show and theyre actually talking about this now, and having people call in that knew her and the family. (and to see if she was crazy,etc) Apparently the family wanted to get the mother help because she had some severe alcohol problem
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2011, 06:22
Jessica [Private]
Yeah, if being a mouthy little shit was a justified reason to shoot your child in the head, my dad would have shot me years ago.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2011, 08:49
& skull.
too bad she couldn't just shoot herself and leave her kids alone.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2011, 17:22
an empty frame.
I agree with Ev. It always saddens me when news comes out of parents who have killed both themselves and their children. Aghhh soccer practice and homework. They sound like good kids. Jeez. :(
0 likes [|reply]
29 Jan 2011, 20:25
~Aiure
Reminds me of that episode of CSI where an entire family was shot at home. One of the kids was at their computer with headphones on and didn't even see it coming.

Eerie indeed.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jan 2011, 01:21
F C U K
Oh well here is an image of both kids from the RIP facebook:

This is the Mother:

A BETTER ARTICLE:

TAMPA | A 50-year-old woman who complained that her two teenage children were mouthy was accused Friday of shooting them to death at their home in Tampa Palms, police said. Julie Powers Schenecker faces two charges of first-degree murder in the deaths of Calyx Powers Schenecker, 16, and Powers Beau Schenecker, 13, said police spokeswoman Laura McElroy. Schenecker admitted the killings, McElroy said.

The father of the children is Army Col. Parker Schenecker, 48, who is stationed at Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base. He was overseas and was notified that his wife had killed their children at their home, 16305 Royal Park Court, police said.

"I don't think there's an explanation that could make us understand. She did tell us that they talk back and they were mouthy," McElroy said.

The children were killed Thursday but were not found until Friday morning, when a police officer responded to the house after an out-of-state relative became concerned when the family couldn't be reached, police said.

No one answered at the house. At the back door, a police officer found the mother covered in blood. Inside, police found the bodies of the children and a note from the mother detailing how she would kill her children and then herself with a .38-caliber pistol.

In the garage, police found Powers shot in the side of the head. Calyx was found dead at a computer in an upstairs room. There did not appear to have been a struggle, police said. "It appears that the children never saw it coming," McElroy said.

Calyx was in the 10th grade pre-International Baccalaureate program at King High School. Powers was in the 8th grade at Liberty Middle School.

Seena Jain, who carpooled with the Schenecker children and her own daughter, Sheema, 15, described the family as quiet. Jain said Col. Schenecker was home a few weeks ago picking up the carpooling shift while his wife recovered from a serious car crash a month ago.

Jain said Calyx was well-mannered and ran track and cross-country.

"Calyx was a very sweet girl, always soft spoken, always quiet," Jain said. "A real sweetheart. I just can't comprehend why this has happened to them."

The police critical incident stress management team, which provides counseling to investigators in stressful situations, was at the "devastating crime scene," McElroy said.

"It's truly a heartbreaking scene," McElroy said.

Mrs. Schenecker was led from Tampa Police Department headquarters dressed in a white, plastic outfit, the type given to suspects when their clothing is seized as evidence.

She did not answer questions from reporters and appeared to be talking to herself or those around her while she was taken to the Orient Road Jail.

Lt. Col. Mike Lawhorn, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, said Parker is assigned to CentCom's "intelligence directorate" and that he has worked for CentCom for over two years.

Schenecker was on a temporary duty assignment overseas the past few days, Lawhorn said. He would not say where but noted Schenecker was working in CentCom's area of responsibility, which includes much of the Middle East.

Lawhorn would not comment about any ties between Schenecker and the National Security Agency, referring questions to the NSA. He is a career military intelligence officer with 28 years of service, according to CentCom.

The NSA did not return calls for comment.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20110128/NEWS/110129748/1410?Title=Tampa-Palms-Mom-Accused-of-Shooting-Her-Teens
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jan 2011, 02:16
an empty frame.
Jeez :(
0 likes [|reply]
31 Jan 2011, 18:34
queenbutterfly
I'm sorry - but I have to agree with Blue Bella. There are very FEW times that I understand why any woman kills her child. There was only ONE time...and I saw it on a TV program about untreated bipolar disorder...very very serious.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Feb 2011, 11:00
NurseJennie
So very sad.... :(
0 likes [|reply]
2 Feb 2011, 00:45
F C U K
TAMPA — Three months before police say Julie Schenecker shot her teenage children to death, authorities investigated a tip that she had abused her daughter.

Calyx, 16, told a child protective investigator her mom had hit her in the face with open and closed fists and had "busted" her lip a month earlier, a state Department of Children and Families (DCF) report states.

An investigator for the DCF visited the house twice and interviewed Schenecker, Calyx, 13-year-old Beau, and the children's father. Schenecker admitted "backhanding" her daughter in an argument. But finding no evidence of injury, authorities closed the case.

The Nov. 2 incident was the first time the mother and daughter's arguments became physical, Calyx's father told an investigator, according to the DCF report.

Army Col. Parker Schenecker told an investigator in a Jan. 6 phone call that he often mediated in their verbal arguments, the report states. Calyx described him as the family's "referee."

He told the investigators he had no safety concerns for his children.

Two weeks later, his wife bought a .38-caliber pistol with the intention of killing her children and herself, police say.

On Jan. 27, she shot her son, Beau, 13, in her sport-utility vehicle on the way home from soccer practice, police say. She finished driving home, parked and went upstairs. There, police say, she shot her daughter, who was doing homework on the computer.

A judge denied her bail Monday and said he expects her attorney will request a mental evaluation.

Schenecker faces two counts of first-degree murder. On Monday, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said that not only did Schenecker leave handwritten notes in the house detailing how she planned to kill her children, she also wrote a note after the crime explaining how she did it.

"It was very detailed and matter-of-fact, devoid of emotion," McElroy said.

Schenecker did not explain why she didn't carry out her plan to kill herself, McElroy said.

advertising

A U.S. Central Command spokesman said Parker Schenecker has returned from overseas, where he was at the time of the shooting, to Tampa and is taking time off from work.

The November abuse investigation started with a tip from a counselor at the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay. Calyx and her mother had been going for counseling for three weeks prior because of communication problems, according to Tampa police.

Calyx told the counselor her mom had hit her. Mental-health counselors are required by state law to report allegations of abuse and neglect within 24 hours. So on Nov. 6, police and a child-services investigator went to their home.

Calyx had no visible injuries. But she told police that four days earlier, on the drive home from cross-country practice, she and her mother argued and her mother slapped her. Calyx said she covered up the bruises on her face with makeup, DCF's report said.

Schenecker said the argument started after her daughter bought something at the grocery store and when Schenecker looked in the bag, Calyx said "stay out of my business."

Then she told her mom, "you're disgusting," and "you're not my parent," Schenecker told police.

Schenecker acknowledged that she "backhanded" her daughter in the face three times.

Calyx told police she was never hit like this before. Her parents usually revoked privileges or took items from her, she said.

Schenecker told police that Calyx's behavior had changed in the past year.

Police spokeswoman McElroy and DCF spokesman Terry Field explained that for abuse charges to be warranted, there must be evidence the child was injured. Investigators didn't find evidence that Schenecker's actions harmed Calyx, they said.

"And the investigator felt comfortable that there were services in places," Field said. "They were getting counseling. It appeared that [Calyx] was safe."

On Nov. 8, two days after the police investigation, Schenecker was involved in a crash and a trooper noted she showed signs of drug impairment.

A trooper wrote that Schenecker had "dilated pupils with no reaction to light, [and] mush-mouthed speech."

In a sobriety test, the report states, Schenecker's eyes were involuntarily jerking, which can be a sign of drug or alcohol impairment.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2014093973_tampa10.html
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends