Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
Need sysadmins urgently!
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 00:05
grandlinegirl
Hi! I wasn't too sure where to post this or if it would even be appropriate, but... I'm really upset over this and have decided to spread the word in hopes of rectifying the situation.

There is this one amazing site that has many members, and unless it gets a systemadmin, it's going to close down on Feb 14th. I'm not lying when I say this site is my life. It's where I, along with many others, post their yaoi centered work, and there is really nowhere else on the web with such an amazing community.

If you, or if you know anyone that would be interested in helping out, please contact the admin. I can point you in the right direction. You must be 18 or older to sign up for this website, though.

Here is the news post:

URGENT: 11th hour plea for sysadmins
Hi everyone,

y!Gallery has been being run for some time now without anyone actually in charge of the maintenance and upkeep of our server. In order to keep the site online and operational, we are in urgent need of at least one qualified system administrator that understands Debian Linux and md softraid and would be willing to monitor the server and address problems as they occur.

The site runs on a stack of lighttpd, PHP, and MySQL, and the chat service runs on jabberd14, but these are mostly stable at this point and do not really need much attention paid to them, so if you do not have much/any experience with these things, it does not really matter.

If we do not find a qualified system administrator capable of ensuring our server stays online and operational, y!Gallery will be forced to end operations and shut down on 14 February. If you are able to fill this role, please contact me privately via PM as soon as possible.

Thanks for your attention.

And here is the website: http://yaoi.y-gallery.net/
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 01:59
Roche Coach
Don't sysadmins have a marketable skill? Unless you're willing to find someone to do this for free, I think it's time to start researching alternatives...
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 14:41
& skull.
y-gallery's going to shut down? shame. and i'm not being sarcastic, i've visited it on occasion. shouldn't they have advertised this sooner? there last update before that was in november. the one before that was february 2010 :S
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 14:42
& skull.
*their. stupid tired.
0 likes [|reply]
27 Jan 2011, 15:13
grandlinegirl
I'm not sure why they didn't say sooner. I've read through the comments on the news bulletin and I believe one of the admins said they've been looking outside of ygal and haven't found anyone, so they are seeking help. What I don't understand is, if the site has been running itself, why do they suddenly REQUIRE someone to maintain it? Either way, I hope they do find someone. It would be a shame to lose the site and I would be totally lost without it.
0 likes [|reply]
28 Jan 2011, 07:12
& skull.
yeha i don't get that either. i hope they find someone.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends