Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Congresswoman Shot at Tucson, AZ supermarket
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jan 2011, 22:44
Beautiful Lies
What the hell is wrong in Arizona? Among the dead are a 9 year old little girl and a federal judge. I guess Gabrielle Giffords was hosting a meet-and-greet outside a supermarket and some moron starts shooting. Congresswoman Giffords was shot in the head. The huffington post says she's dead, however CNN is saying she's in Critical Condition still. I also have been watching CNN and they've said they have the suspected gunman in custody. Some 22 year old kid... There is so much hatred in the world and it sickens me.

Click for MSNBC article

Congresswoman Giffords, others shot in AZ

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head Saturday when an assailant opened fire outside a grocery store during a meeting with constituents, killing at least five people and injuring several others in a rampage that rattled the nation.

Giffords was among at least 10 people injured, and the hospital said her outlook was "optimistic" and that she was responding.

"She's in critical condition," Dr. Peter Rhee said. "The neurosurgeons have finished operating on her and I can tell you that in the current time period I am very optimistic about recovery ... she was following commands."

The hospital said a 9-year-old child was among the killed, and a federal judge was also fatally shot.

Federal officials told NBC News that U.S. District Court Judge John M. Roll had died from injuries suffered in the attack. He was the chief judge in Arizona, appointed in 1991 by the first President Bush.

Police say the shooter was in custody, and was identified by people familiar with the investigation as Jared Loughner, 22. Pima County Sheriff's officials said he used a pistol to carry out the shooting spree. U.S. officials who provided his name to the AP spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release it publicly.

The shooting prompted an outpouring of sympathy from politicians and people around the country. President Barrack Obama called the shooting "an unspeakable tragedy" and that such "a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society." Obama sent his FBI director to oversee the investigation.

"It's not surprising that today Gabby was doing what she always does, listening to the hopes and concerns of her neighbors," Obama said in a nationally televised news conference. "That is the essence of what our democracy is about."

Federal law enforcement officials were poring over captured versions of a MySpace page that belonged to Jared Loughner and over Youtube video published to the Internet weeks ago under an account "Classitup10" and linked to him. The MySpace page, which was removed within minutes of the gunman being identified by U.S. officials, included a mysterious "Goodbye friends" message published hours before the shooting and exhorted his friends to "Please don't be mad at me."

In one of several Youtube videos, which featured text against a dark background, Loughner described inventing a new U.S. currency and complained about the illiteracy rate among people living in Giffords' congressional district in Arizona. Two spellings of his last name were given in the aftermath of the shooting — Loughner and Laughner.

"I know who's listening: Government Officials, and the People," Loughner wrote. "Nearly all the people, who don't know this accurate information of a new currency, aren't aware of mind control and brainwash methods. If I have my civil rights, then this message wouldn't have happen (sic)."

(click the link to get the rest of the story)
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jan 2011, 23:05
Aspiring Boxer
I can't believe it either... There is also another article that a friend of mine on Facebook posted: After Rep. Giffords shot in Arizona, Palin's 'Take Back the 20' goes down

Apparently Palin had a website with red 'targets' like the kind of gun targets on certain congresspeople that voted for the health care reform, saying something like, "Take back the 20" and replace them with good conservatives. I'm wondering if the shooter was possibly politically motivated.

Not saying it is Palin's fault or anything, I'm sure she didn't intend for anyone to be killed or anything, but I do think putting 'targets' on certain people is in poor taste.

_______

And that little 9 year old girl, my heart breaks for her and her family... I can't imagine what the parents are going through right now.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jan 2011, 23:21
Beautiful Lies
I know, this is just so...ridiculous. A friend of mine on facebook also mentioned that after Laura Schlessinger quit her show because of her excessive use of the "N" word, Palin actually said to her, "Don't Retreat, Reload!"

Yea, "Don't Retreat, Reload" and yet Palin also has the audacity to then offer her condolences to the families of victims from the tragedy that happened today. What a bunch of shit. I don't believe a damn word she says.
0 likes [|reply]
8 Jan 2011, 23:44
Aspiring Boxer
I think that terminology Palin uses is because she hunts as well but I don't think that should ever be used in politics. Way too many people can take this kind of thing literally. And saying that to Schlessinger? That's in very poor taste. I don't think she is fit to be in politics. Too close-minded and her beliefs scare me.

That being said, I do NOT like Palin at all.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 02:32
Aubrey;
I have to agree with you, @Aspiring Boxer -- the hunting terminology is not appropriate for politics.
It's so disheartening to see people acting this way because they don't agree with one another! It shouldn't be about fighting and figuring out who is worse -- it should be about working together to fix the country. :-/
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 01:09
Fiat
I'm not a huge fan of Palin, but I'm pretty sickened by how quickly the blame has been shifted from the shooter himself to some obscure "violent" verbiage on Palin's web site. To me, using words like "target" in a political campaign is just as benign as a high school's football team saying "Skewer the Spartans!" before a football game (which was the theme of this year's homecoming game). The words she used were NOT in poor taste before this actually happened and she was diplomatic by removing the material after the fact. Let's stop blame shifting and be a bit more objective: the SHOOTER opened fire and no one else.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 01:37
Aspiring Boxer
You have a very good point, I wasn't trying to make this about Palin (I know you're not directing your message at anyone on Bloop). I have to admit, I was shocked when I saw the map/pictures.
As for a HS team saying "Skewer the Spartans" - that's high school stuff, local stuff. Palin is speaking on a national level, there are millions of people watching her. There's bound to be at least one person that takes what she says, literally. There are some people like that and I'm not trying to single out Palin or anything. I guess what I'm saying is if someone very popular or well known has millions of people looking at them, they should be 'careful' with what they say. I'm not really sure how to explain it. But it's a moot point anyway because it happened. It's in the past. And Palin IS human, just like all of us. (That's just my opinion/insight/reasoning on why I said it was in 'poor taste.')
Though, you are right - she was diplomatic by removing the material after what happened.

As for the shooter, I wonder what his motive was, if he had any. It was a completely senseless attack, and a very sad one that affects so many families. Certain people's lives won't be the same after this event. I keep coming back to that 9 year old girl, it's so sad... People make me so mad sometimes. I hope the shooter isn't 'mentally ill' or anything because he deserves punishment for this heinous act he's done.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 01:13
Fiat
To clarify, this isn't directed to anyone here on bloop - just venting after a long day of reading ignorant Facebook status updates. :P
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 01:24
Beautiful Lies
Well fair enough. I agree we shouldn't be shifting the blame. However I do want to note it's slightly disturbing that Sarah Palin had a picture on her website about "Take Back the 20" or whatever it was with a US MAP and crosshairs in some 'targeted' representatives states. Why would you ever post something like that? There are more tasteful ways to get your message across without placing crosshairs on a map of the US ya know?
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 03:30
Emily the Strange
This is just appalling. Seems like most blogs are saying that this doesn't seem to be politically motivated. Has anyone seen anything different? I can't believe this to be just a random violence spree.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 04:08
Chris
HOLY.
FUCKING.
SHIT.

And not even at the shooting. At the fact that the blame is being shifted from the guy who actually did the fucking shooting to a member of any political party (either the republicans because the guy is a republican, or the democrats, because "derp, look what they're driving us real Americans to do!"). How about we put the fucking politics aside for one moment and recognize that this guy is an absolute loony toon that should be locked up for the rest of his life, if not put to death. From the moment he opened fire at that store, he officially became a sack of meat that will never, ever contribute to society, and the rest of us are going to be paying taxes for him for the rest of his life.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 16:08
Aubrey;
@Anonymous Source
I agree that it shouldn't be *blamed* on any one particular politician, but I think we do need to recognize that the things posted on Palin's website were inflammatory and possibly triggering for anyone who was already unstable.
Obviously the gunman (gunmen) was unstable in some way to take that picture/trigger map seriously. That is NOT Palin's or anyone else's fault.
But someone should have thought twice before thinking that something with that imagery and "taking out" people was not an appropriate way to get their point across. I think it does need to be addressed, although it can certainly wait until the shooter(s) have been brought to justice.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 04:19
Music God CJ Plain
The report I just read said that basically, he was a Tin-Foil Hat wearing member of the "Tommy" Society.
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 05:43
Fiat
Thank you, I'm now laughing hysterically and just shot soda out my nose. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
9 Jan 2011, 07:30
Music God CJ Plain
@MadeToShine: Sorry, when it mentioned New Currency, Brainwashing, and Religion...I just immediately thought OH SHIT, must be one of Tommy's fans. LOL
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2011, 03:16
Chris
@MGoB: Well that orange juice that just came flying at mach speed out of my nose was a terrible waste...
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2011, 03:26
Music God CJ Plain
@ Anon: I swear, I read that article and it was the FIRST thought I had...I was like, Ok, Where the fuck is Tommy right now???
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2011, 03:30
Chris
@MGOB: Hahah, don't worry, he's watching this thread right now. He's got a couple of months to go before he makes his big return, though.
0 likes [|reply]
10 Jan 2011, 03:43
Music God CJ Plain
@ Anon: Oh Happy Joy! Can't wait...LOL
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends