Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
Google Chrome.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:04
Acid Fairy
I love Safari but I decided to try Chrome out. So far, I like it. A lot. There is just one thing that is pissing me off so much that if it can't be fixed, I am going back to Safari.

I am talking about the little bubble that pops up every single fucking time I hover over a link. It is the most distracting, irritating thing I have ever come across in a browser. I am shocked that there is no obvious way to get rid of it. Am I going to have to go back to Safari, kids??
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:37
Jessica [Private]
Er... I don't have that in Chrome.
Do you mean the like, preview bubble?
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:37
Jessica [Private]
That is, the preview bubble with the image of the next website?
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:41
Acid Fairy
No, it's the little pop up in the very bottom left hand corner. It is a different colour depending on what theme you have installed so yours may not be very obvious, but it also pops up when a site is loading.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:44
Jessica [Private]
Oh the little pop-up with the url? I actually really like that, lol. I hate not being able to see what a link actually is.

My monitor is pretty big, so I probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't specifically look for it.
I also don't have load times... so it's only ever up for half a second :(
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:48
Acid Fairy
Ugh it's driving me fucking insane! It completely distracts me!
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:51
Jessica [Private]
Are you using the default theme? On mine it's a pretty tiny bar, only about the length of my hand.

But from searching on it, there's no way to hide it. :( There might be add ons, though.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Jul 2010, 23:52
Chris
It's permanently there on Safari or Firefox.

But for funsies, here's some tests!

0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 00:00
Jessica [Private]
Yay Chrome!! :D
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 00:19
lithium layouts.
Haha. IE really does suck.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 16:29
canceroustears
I didn't realize how much IE sucked, until I started using Chrome.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 04:28
Rombat
I've been talking to Source, and I'd like to note the version of Opera they're using is out of date, as I'm on 10.6 (Opera patches a lot, which I like because it means things are going to be fixed more often, although I have heard people complain about that before). 10.6 has LARGE improvements for JavaScript speed. Is it going to beat any of the other times on there? Maybe Firefox, but probably not Chrome, although if there is a major difference its definitely not noticeable like it used to be. I also question their CPU stress test a bit, but I'll leave it alone with saying it shouldn't be too far off.

The thing to take away from this is that between Opera-Safari-Firefox you probably won't see too large a difference in performance, and with a computer better than the garbage they tested this with (sorry, my 4 year old Machine could kick the crap out of their silly XPS any day, and I'm an elitist, so...) you'll be at speeds that you won't with Chrome either. If you use any of those 4 and compare them to IE though, you should see a nice improvement. So pick whichever one you like the most, and then mock the IE users ;P
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 05:43
Chris
The thing you need to remember about posting on this site is that 99% of the time, you're talking to people with somewhat decent computers (for your standards anyway) or worse, OR they have like netbooks or some shit. The only people that can benefit from the information you've given them is like Doc and Steve. The CPU stress test came with results probably due to the processor they're using, as everyone will come up with different results doing the same tests. For instance, with my piece of shit laptop, I'll have Chrome start slowing down with 7-8 tabs, Opera and Firefox start to slug on me at 4-5 tabs open, Safari with about 3, and IE being sluggish with only a single tab open.

I know CSS rendering is spot on, as well as page load times assuming you pipelined your Firefox (learn how to do that here).
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 06:14
Rombat
Ya, sometimes I forget that not all forums have the standard computing power of the XKCD forums >.> Still, I vote mocking IE users regardless of how powerful the computers are :D
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 14:28
& skull.
ie fails so very badly.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 00:20
lithium layouts.
That's one thing that bugs me about Chrome, too. I prefer how most other browsers have the bar permanently there, and the URL just shows up in the bar when you hover on it.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 06:01
Giggle
I've been using Chrome for quite a while and this is the first time I actually paid attention to this little bubble lol Maybe because it's a really pale colour on my browser so it's not that obvious. It doesn't bother me at all. I love Chrome =]
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 09:52
Dreamer ♥
I think I know what you are on about it, the little bar that pops up when you are going to a new page so you know whats loading so if for example you get an email from something you aren't sure about it tells you where you are going and if you are going to be scammed? I use it to make sure I am not being re-directed to dodgy sites.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 00:45
just samma;
never used chrome.
i'm currently using safari and have been for a year or so.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 09:22
*amour de bebe*
I LOVE chrome. I don't have that little bubble thing....
0 likes [|reply]
5 Jul 2010, 14:29
& skull.
i had to hover over a link to discover what you meant, i hardly ever notice it lol.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends