Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1  2 
iPod touch syncing problems
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 12:13
Aubrey;
@ Hannibal -- just tried it but it gave me an error. Will try again later.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 14:17
Doc
What error are you getting?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 14:23
Doc
Let me know if you want me to walk you through it too. :)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 19:02
Aubrey;
@ Hannibal
I followed the directions here (http://www.blogsdna.com/7115/how-to-downgrade-ipod-touch-3g2g-3-1-3-to-3-1-2-os.htm)
Once it was "installing" the other software, it said "Unknown error (20)."
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 22:31
Doc
The instructions there are pretty straight forward for downgrading an i-device. A few things may be causing that error though. What version of iTunes are you using? You may need to downgrade to 8.26 version of iTunes. It might not work with 9.xx. (If you do downgrade iTunes, move your iTunes folder in your music folder to a safe location... then after restore of your device and then upgrading itunes to the version you are at now, move it back)

Also, where did you get the ipsw (firmware) from? The firmware you need for touch 2G should be named iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw and can be downloaded from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYX1RLXG&f=iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

One last thing... have you ever edited your /etc/hosts file? You may need to change it to point away from Apple's server for the downgrade. Let me know and I can explain how to edit it. Just need to know if you have a Mac or PC for that one though since the process is a bit different on both. heh

Last but not least, and I am sorry I forgot to mention this before cause I was half asleep, but backup everything on your device before downgrading. It will restore it to like new factory settings... everything will be gone on it.
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 22:41
Doc
But basically, yea. Just download the firmware and then shift-click restore and point to the firmware. It should put your device in recovery mode and begin. (Might try it in DFU mode too... Open iTUnes and connect your device. Hold the power and home buttons on it for ten seconds. Release the power button but keep holding the home button. In about 10 more seconds your computer should make a beep and iTunes should recognize it in recovery mode. The device should have a black screen, not the one with the usb cable saying connect top itunes, and that is DFU mode. Sometimes you can only downgrade in DFU. Weird... but worth a try. Also... to exit DFU in case you get an error, hold the power and home buttons while the device is not connected to your computer for about 15 to 20 seconds and it should boot back up.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jul 2010, 14:36
Aubrey;
@ Hannibal -- I'm not very computer literate so I don't know about all that.
The firmware I got was named "iPod2,1_3.07A341_Restore" -- So I guess that's the wrong one.

I don't know how to edit the hosts file. And my iTunes automatically backs up my iPod before each sync. Will that mess it up because the last couple of back-ups were with the new firmware installed?

I have a PC - Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista. And when I checked "About iTunes" it appears I have iTunes 9.2.0.61? How would I move my music? Just copy the "iTunes library" file somewhere else? And then download this other version and see if that works?
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jul 2010, 15:03
Aubrey;
@ Hannibal -- it appears to be working with the website you gave me to download. I'm not getting any errors and it is currently re-syncing my iPod after the update. I won't know for sure until I get into my car to go to work whether it is fixed, but I'll let you know.
0 likes [|reply]
1 Jul 2010, 22:06
Doc
Awesome! Don't worry about messing with downgrading itunes, moving music files, or editing hosts file since it worked OK. Those are just some things that have to be done in certain cases to downgrade if it is needed. Be gald you didn't have to mess with that. heh

Good luck... and I hope you get it working with syncing in your car again. :)

p.s. Glad you were able to downgrade back to firmware 3.1.2 because 3.1.3 was a crappy upgrade anyway. Apple only patched it to mess with the code for people that jailbreak their devices. Sadly, it did break some things for some people even if Apple swears it doesn't. lol. 3.1.2 is more stable too.
0 likes [|reply]
2 Jul 2010, 00:34
Aubrey;
@ Hannibal -- Success! It worked with my car, and the downgrade doesn't seem to have messed anything else up!
0 likes [|reply]
2 Jul 2010, 01:18
Doc
Awesome! Glad I was able to help. :)
0 likes [|reply]
30 Jun 2010, 18:20
Movies, UNL.
I vote for the cd/casette converter that I think I saw someone mention. All it is is a jack with a wire connected to a casette end. You plug the jack into where your headphones go, stick the casette into your casette player in your car (do you even have one on a 2009??) and my ipod (when they first came out is when i got them - sound quit working on mine) worked just fine.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends